This question has been posed several times in this topic, but I see no answer so far...

So - has anyone managed to install 32GB RAM on tis laptop?

I'm quite happy with my i7-3632QM, but the amount of RAM used under Win10 is so incredible that even 16GB seems to be pretty a little.

And although formally chipset doesn't accept 2x16GB chips, there are still new and new prods on the market, so maybe there finally appeared a possibility of bypassing this chipset limitations and somehow have 32GB RAM on board...?

Edited by Grzegorz
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 27/01/2018 at 7:20 PM, Grzegorz said:

This question has been posed several times in this topic, but I see no answer so far...

So - has anyone managed to install 32GB RAM on tis laptop?

I'm quite happy with my i7-3632QM, but the amount of RAM used under Win10 is so incredible that even 16GB seems to be pretty a little.

And although formally chipset doesn't accept 2x16GB chips, there are still new and new prods on the market, so maybe there finally appeared a possibility of bypassing this chipset limitations and somehow have 32GB RAM on board...?

Me too, very quite interested for the same problem. I have made a PageFile of 16GB on my SSD to counter the very bad RAM management of Windows 10 (installed RAM + 16GB PageFile). 32GB of full RAM would lower the SSD wearing (even this seems more like an urban legend than anything else) but the gain in fluidity would be here cause SSD have lower IOPS than direct RAM.

On Windows XP, I was using 1.5GB of RAM for exactly the same tasks (browsing Internet, Word document writing, processing heavy audio files and loading PDF ebooks) - and just don't tell me WXP is a very old OS, I just understand why Windows 10 consumes 9.7GB of RAM for exactly the same and the exact same task.

Edit: Just watch the price for 32GB of DDR3 for laptops, cost ranging from 200 to 400E, so I guess why not a lot of people haven't tested it.

Edited by juandante
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, juandante said:

...just don't tell me WXP is a very old OS...

Are you guys sure it is not cached RAM that just stays there, waiting to be overwritten when needed?

16GB being not enough for normal work  sounds kinda extreme, I actually exchanged my 2x8GB for 2x4GB + some $$, I just couldn't fill it up over 8GB.

My typical usage is Android Studio + 1-2 Android Emulators + Browser with ~10 websites. Many would call that a demanding combination, And it still doesn't add up to 8 GB.

All this on Linux Mint / Kubuntu, but it isn't supposed to differ that much from Windows regarding RAM usage (though other stuff works quite a bit faster than on Windows...).

I see no new 12~13" laptops offering higher CPU performance than my 3632QM, not even saying 37**QM or 38**QM, that can also be installed in my 2570p. Those new ones have a capability of installing up to 32GB RAM, but have only 2-core processors on board.

Therefore, if I wanted to "upgrade" buying a new lap, I'd spend sth like 1.5k€ (+RAM price) for a lap with similar (or lower) CPU performance and no optical drive (I got BD-ROM and I do use it). I'd really prefer to spend my pasta on 2  16GB chips, if only the system could see it.

batyanko - I always have maaany tabs opened in my web browser. Right now, Opera eats up 8GB of memory, while Chrome and Netscape are far more RAM-greedy (moreover, no web browser, as I see, is releasing memory properly - so the usage increases by the moment I restart the browser - or the lap).

And web browser is not the only app I use, of course. Boxes telling me that my system is running low on memory I see almost every day...

Under Win7 I never had this problem, even when having only 8GB RAM. 

Edited by Grzegorz

On 29/01/2018 at 6:08 PM, batyanko said:

Are you guys sure it is not cached RAM that just stays there, waiting to be overwritten when needed?

16GB being not enough for normal work  sounds kinda extreme, I actually exchanged my 2x8GB for 2x4GB + some $$, I just couldn't fill it up over 8GB.

My typical usage is Android Studio + 1-2 Android Emulators + Browser with ~10 websites. Many would call that a demanding combination, And it still doesn't add up to 8 GB.

All this on Linux Mint / Kubuntu, but it isn't supposed to differ that much from Windows regarding RAM usage (though other stuff works quite a bit faster than on Windows...).

A picture says tousand of words : I am actually at 10.4 Gb

And I have not even open the audio editing software and technical PDFs and DOCX files where it would have easy gone up to 12-14 Gb.

(I am using 32bits windows for professional purposes, which is limited to 2.9Gb so I have made a RAMdisk with PAE to access all the RAM)

I really don't fall for the standard excuse of Windows 10 using RAM as cache, experience showed me this is not the case (or it is very very very badly implemented)

I would like to run 32gb too but just seen the price, 200$

2018-02-01_191823.jpg

Edited by juandante

On 29/01/2018 at 6:16 PM, Grzegorz said:

I see no new 12~13" laptops offering higher CPU performance than my 3632QM, not even saying 37**QM or 38**QM, that can also be installed in my 2570p. Those new ones have a capability of installing up to 32GB RAM, but have only 2-core processors on board.

Therefore, if I wanted to "upgrade" buying a new lap, I'd spend sth like 1.5k€ (+RAM price) for a lap with similar (or lower) CPU performance and no optical drive (I got BD-ROM and I do use it). I'd really prefer to spend my pasta on 2  16GB chips, if only the system could see it.

batyanko - I always have maaany tabs opened in my web browser. Right now, Opera eats up 8GB of memory, while Chrome and Netscape are far more RAM-greedy (moreover, no web browser, as I see, is releasing memory properly - so the usage increases by the moment I restart the browser - or the lap).

And web browser is not the only app I use, of course. Boxes telling me that my system is running low on memory I see almost every day...

Under Win7 I never had this problem, even when having only 8GB RAM. 

Exactly, since the Chrome trends memory of apps and browsers increased dramatically, I feel like developers don't program good anymore and they push us to upgrade is making their software heavier and heavier.

As I said, I could do exactly the same things as on Windows XP as on Windows 10, the only thing that forced me to "upgrade" but it is more like a downgrade is the lack of support for new hardware/software. 

Maybe I will go on the Linux side I really don't appreciate how Microsoft poorly made Windows 10 (ugly ass default theme, huge memory consumption, etc)

Me, I seriously consider downgrading ro Win7 - the point here is that Microsoft is claimed to make Win7 usage wery molesting these days, by publishing patches and upgrades that make this system more and more similar to Win10 in exactly those areas where we would likely enjoy not touching anything. 

But if I was sure any 2x16GB chips would work on 2570p, I'd buy even for those 200~250$.

And I'd forget about hardware upgrades for - dunno - 5 years...?  :|

Edited by Grzegorz

19 minutes ago, Grzegorz said:

Me, I seriously consider downgrading ro Win7 - the point here is that Microsoft is claimed to make Win7 usage wery molesting these days, by publishing patches and upgrades that make this system more and more similar to Win10 in exactly those areas where we would likely enjoy not touching anything. 

But if I was sure any 2x16GB chips would work on 2570p, I'd buy even for those 200~250$.

And I'd forget about hardware upgrades for - dunno - 5 years...?  :|

I wouldn't recommend Win7 today for most people, unless you don't care about security and stability. Intel seems to be on the verge(if they haven't already) of dropping complete support for Windows 7(and it seems 8.1 too). Seeing as both the 2570p chipset and CPU runs on Intel spec and fundamental drivers are the reasons why I don't recommend most people doing this. Better to run the latest Windows version. 

Sure - better. If only it weren't eatin' up majority of my 16GB RAM, whilst there is no news about possibility of having 32 up and working in this lap... :26_002:

Using Win10 with 16GB is (for me) veeery difficult...

Edited by Grzegorz

15 hours ago, gardiner said:

I wouldn't recommend Win7 today for most people, unless you don't care about security and stability. Intel seems to be on the verge(if they haven't already) of dropping complete support for Windows 7(and it seems 8.1 too). Seeing as both the 2570p chipset and CPU runs on Intel spec and fundamental drivers are the reasons why I don't recommend most people doing this. Better to run the latest Windows version. 

Yes... But it is in tech words a very very old chipset. Even on Windows 10 we will not have so much updates, not to talk about Intel policy to release one driver every decade even for recent hardware (so almost never). It is not like you are installing 7/8.1 on a new CPU.

I tend to not to care a lot about security on my laptop, if you are not a president/army general/CEO, as most of normal people run on the latest OS and updates, you are kind of the 5% running the "outdated software", and hackers principaly focus on the masses especially if you are not an important figure (why would they spend time develloping virus targetting your outdated software on your outdated computer ? some dude like this probably have only 1$ on his bank account, which of course is not neccesarilly true hah but better focus on the one who spends 2000$ on the latest hardware and software).

I was running XP until december 2017, and NEVER had any incident (like some dude robbing my passwords/bank accounts etc) or trojan popups etc. The only reason I stopped XP is because of the uncorrected software bugs in different softwares, for example Chrome 54 crash or even doesn't support latest SSL, more and more websites where getting broken everyday. There was also a whole set of bugs when plugging the computer on external screen, or some random blue screens due to memory overflow of certain softwares.

Edited by juandante

Some of you who are claiming to have trouble with Windows' memory management need to go back to basics. One user is running 32-bit Windows and can't understand why their system is not running faster or more smoothly. Another has an abundance of tabs open in Chrome and can't understand what's taking up all of their RAM.

In the meantime, many of us are thrilled with the performance of their little 2570p running Windows 10 64-bit on 8GB RAM. Try switching to 64-bit WIndows. Make it work with whatever ancient software you're limping along with. And if you're bogging down your system with a great many tabs in Chrome, try saving a few bookmarks and closing down the unused tabs.

On 04/02/2018 at 5:08 PM, JimOG said:

Some of you who are claiming to have trouble with Windows' memory management need to go back to basics. One user is running 32-bit Windows and can't understand why their system is not running faster or more smoothly. Another has an abundance of tabs open in Chrome and can't understand what's taking up all of their RAM.

In the meantime, many of us are thrilled with the performance of their little 2570p running Windows 10 64-bit on 8GB RAM. Try switching to 64-bit WIndows. Make it work with whatever ancient software you're limping along with. And if you're bogging down your system with a great many tabs in Chrome, try saving a few bookmarks and closing down the unused tabs.

Sorry dude, not all of us use their laptop to play video games and watch only YouTube videos. I don't know who you where referring to about the browser tabs but for my case, 10 years ago when I was using Opera 12 to process Internet on a Core 2 Duo ULV (of dual core 1.1 Ghz), I could have at peak 50 tabs open and use only 1.5 Gb of RAM (100% no lie) with an almost not noticeable slowdown. This is incredible in 2018, and most web-page don't do so much more than 10 years ago. There is no 3D animation or some sort of revolutionary advancement that explains why we use 6 times more today. So I don't know what you mean by "basics" but  my computer basics where already to do this.

I need to open at least 20-25 tabs very frequently in my work to process information on web-pages so this is not just for fun or just the faint of heart. This could be done with a script and command line but the browser engines are far less buggy in processing  web-page because of the big competition. A recent video game is consuming less memory than opening web-page on browsers, this would be something of insane 10 years ago. And I don't know if you live on Earth but Windows 10 64-bits is using more memory than 32-bits, and 32-bits PAE (equiv to 36-bits) can do the same as 64-bits for 99% of users. so I don't get your point, and this is not the subject as even on 64-bit users complain. The point is Windows 10 memory management is bad.

Hi guyss,

Sorry for interrupting. 

I have problem with my HP 2570p. Some one please help me to send High Resolution Picture of this IC Number (PFA). 
My laptop had broken IC, i want to replace. But the IC broken and i can't see the number. 

First pictre is my motherboard. Second picture is image from google. 

You can contact me to this email : timmorgan1996[at]gmail.com
Thank youu. Sorry my english and grammar so bad. 

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-08 at 11.50.49.jpeg

Capture.PNG

Edited by Timmorgan

I recently got my hands on a used 2570p. It was dirt cheap, tidy and had no problems so I thought it would make a great little laptop for traveling, and it wouldn't be that bad if it broke or got stolen.

Anyway, everything was working fine, I installed an SSD, windows 10 and all the latest drivers until this morning opened the laptop and there was no sound. Windows says that there is no audio device installed, so I tried installing the audio drivers again, but the installer doesn't allow me to do that, because the hardware is not there. So I went to the Windows hardware manager, and there are no audio devices. Next I restored BIOS defaults, and checked that audio is enabled and still nothing. I even wiped the system and reinstalled windows with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix it or is a hardware problem? I recently updated the BIOS, could going back to an older one help, or is it even possible?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10.2.2018 at 1:23 PM, Moswitch said:

I recently got my hands on a used 2570p. It was dirt cheap, tidy and had no problems so I thought it would make a great little laptop for traveling, and it wouldn't be that bad if it broke or got stolen.

Anyway, everything was working fine, I installed an SSD, windows 10 and all the latest drivers until this morning opened the laptop and there was no sound. Windows says that there is no audio device installed, so I tried installing the audio drivers again, but the installer doesn't allow me to do that, because the hardware is not there. So I went to the Windows hardware manager, and there are no audio devices. Next I restored BIOS defaults, and checked that audio is enabled and still nothing. I even wiped the system and reinstalled windows with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix it or is a hardware problem? I recently updated the BIOS, could going back to an older one help, or is it even possible?

This is extremely weird. I had not touched the laptop since posting this and and booted it up just now. And guess what, I get the windows start up sound! The problem literally fixed itself. So weird... 

Edited by Moswitch

• 3 weeks later...

bought a 2570p last week, just needed a tiny brother for my 8460p n 8570p... now time for mods... first: cooling... with my 3740 the temps go up to 93-95°c. just a "bit" too much... so i ripped off a cooler from my studio xps 13 n pulled the smaller from 2 heatpipes down, its just 2.5mm thick n had the right length... next step will build a copper plate with the same size like the alu plate on da fan, soldering n lets go... first step:

DSC_4343.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Annihilator said:

bought a 2570p last week, just needed a tiny brother for my 8460p n 8570p... now time for mods... first: cooling... with my 3740 the temps go up to 93-95°c. just a "bit" too much... so i ripped off a cooler from my studio xps 13 n pulled the smaller from 2 heatpipes down, its just 2.5mm thick n had the right length... next step will build a copper plate with the same size like the alu plate on da fan, soldering n lets go... first step:

Looks quite interesting, can you post us with some details on the soldering process when you are done?

I am going to play with some video card cooling these days, so I'm looking for advice on suitable process and equipment: type of blowtorch, type of solder (chemical composition details would be great), etc.

10 hours ago, batyanko said:

Looks quite interesting, can you post us with some details on the soldering process when you are done?

I am going to play with some video card cooling these days, so I'm looking for advice on suitable process and equipment: type of blowtorch, type of solder (chemical composition details would be great), etc.

will do, the heatpipe was soldered in my XPS like on the pic, so im really hopefull will work fine... n the plate in the XPS was aluminium with a 0.2mm copper plate soldered... so just suboptimal. full copper will increase the cooling, maybe will made a bit more thicker plate, n put some fins in for some % better cooling too

• 2 weeks later...

What is troubling me is that you have soldered it, according to the pictures, on low heat conductive materials as the surface of the fan and the metal at the surface of the heatsink. I doubt it will be able to remove more than 5°C, even 2 to 3°C. To have better results, you could do the same steps but instead from under the heatsink, I don't know how you could manage this but it will be far better.

Hello all!

signed up to ask questions in this epic thread! :P

I recently bought a 2570P - came with 16GB, 850 evo 250GB, and q3610 - paid AUD$190 :D

I have a few questions:

1) I'm also interested to hear from anyone who has installed 32GB (2x16GB) RAM - I had a quick browse of last few pages and this had been asked twice, but could not see an answer :/

2) I'm wanting to upgrade the wifi card - what's the newest I can go? I don't know what the slot is - M.2? I'm wanting at minimum bluetooth 4.2., so ideally an Intel combo card would be nice

3) where can I find a quality 100Wh/9 cell battery?

thanks heaps! :)

On 3/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, ae00711 said:

Hello all!

I recently bought a 2570P - came with 16GB, 850 evo 250GB, and q3610 - paid AUD$190 :D

I have a few questions:

1) I'm also interested to hear from anyone who has installed 32GB (2x16GB) RAM - I had a quick browse of last few pages and this had been asked twice, but could not see an answer :/

2) I'm wanting to upgrade the wifi card - what's the newest I can go? I don't know what the slot is - M.2? I'm wanting at minimum bluetooth 4.2., so ideally an Intel combo card would be nice

Salut.

2) Wi fi - mini pci-e, not m.2. I'm install combo card from macbook with mini pci-e adapter of course.

3) ebay.co.uk but it overpriced

On 25/03/2018 at 8:34 AM, ae00711 said:

Hello all!

I have a few questions:

I can only help you with Q2.

I have a Intel AC-7260 which is a dual band combo. It works well on both 2.4 and 5 but it does not, indeed cannot work on Bluetooth. I can't remember why but this was covered earlier in this thread. A dedicated Broadcom BT adapter is available sometimes on Ebay, look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Elitebook-2570p-Bluetooth-Board-with-Cable-BCM9207MD/372259181573?epid=21011706115&hash=item56ac605405:g:ghMAAOSwpFlaOpzB

Confirm with the seller that it definitely  includes the cable. Some do, some don't. I have a spare cable here, PM me if you need one, free but plus postage. I've attached a pic to show where it goes. 

PENTAX K-3-5527.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1