• 3 weeks later...
it looks like you actually can get 2133mhz RAM working at advertised speeds. I just installed 16GB Gskill Ripjaws and it's reporting correctly in CPU-Z and other tools.

Any updates on this Aikimox? Is that 2133mHz RAM still working out for you?

I'm also curious what OS and processor you're running. I'm thinking about buying the same RAM, and trying it out on my Win 7 i7-3520M 2570p -- if yours is working fine, might give it a go!

Also, just noticed this related new thread, where sangemaru seems to have had flicker problems after installing a Kingston HyperX Impact 2133 cl11 16gb kit of this RAM. Hmmm....

A.j.

(Edit: Researching this further, I'm now not sure my i7-3520M can even handle 2133mHz memory... can someone confirm if this is true? If so, what's my next best memory option for a 8GBx2 kit? Thanks...!)

The ram is totally fine and working at advertised speeds. I'm too busy these days, trying to squeeze study in between full time work and family. Specs are in my sig. 3840QM, OS - Win7, downgraded from W10 (a joke of an operating system designed to completely ruin both user privacy and OS experience).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Aikimox... since we have different CPUs (I have a i7-3520M), I guess there's no guarantee I can get it working here on my PC. Worth a try though, I may just pull the trigger next week & see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am considering in getting the i5 version of the 2570p & I was wondering if the use of Lightroom for photo editing is capable ?. The reason I ask this is because I want to get this laptop for it's portability, so that I can take it away with me to various places, save my RAW files on a daily basis and then do the editing whilst travelling back home. My main laptop at home is a Probook 6570b which I do editing on, but it is too hefty to be taking about on my travels, so am wanting something to use whilst on the move.

Many Thanks

JWAR

Hey Guys, it looks like you actually can get 2133mhz RAM working at advertised speeds. I just installed 16GB Gskill Ripjaws and it's reporting correctly in CPU-Z and other tools. Am I missing something?

Ok, I just wanted to report that I have also had success with the G.Skill 2133mHz Ripjaw dual channel 8GBx2 kit on my 2570p. CPU-Z reports a DRAM frequency of 1064.2 mHz - which I believe is a correct reading for a dual channel 2133mHz set-up (correct me if I'm wrong). I didn't fiddle with anything in the BIOS; just popped in the chips & gave 'em a spin...

Some further details in this related thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/10856-2570p-igpu-flicker-freeze-high-speed-ram.html#post144220

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding my 2570p.

I'm going to upgrade it so it will be as close to as a desktop replacement as it can, considering the costs of course.

CPU: currently it has a i5 3210M which I intend to replace with a QM. After looking through the available processors my first choice would be a 3632QM 35W. I will have to use the laptop at school for a few hours with a 3 cell battery which I'm going to get to get rid of the annoying extra long 6 cell. Basically I'm interested in the best bang for buck CPU performance and TDP wise.

RAM: looking for 16gb. Tomorrow I will replace my 2x4gb kit with a 1x8gb from another HP. Can I use a different module with the same specs? A 1x8gb HP module is three times as much as a crucial/kingston one.

WIFI AC: is there any one I should avoid? Also are there any compatible 4g lte modems worth buying?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding my 2570p.

I'm going to upgrade it so it will be as close to as a desktop replacement as it can, considering the costs of course.

CPU: currently it has a i5 3210M which I intend to replace with a QM. After looking through the available processors my first choice would be a 3632QM 35W. I will have to use the laptop at school for a few hours with a 3 cell battery which I'm going to get to get rid of the annoying extra long 6 cell. Basically I'm interested in the best bang for buck CPU performance and TDP wise.

RAM: looking for 16gb. Tomorrow I will replace my 2x4gb kit with a 1x8gb from another HP. Can I use a different module with the same specs? A 1x8gb HP module is three times as much as a crucial/kingston one.

WIFI AC: is there any one I should avoid? Also are there any compatible 4g lte modems worth buying?

Thanks a lot!

Hiya. Sorry if I'll seem abrupt, I wrote a huge answer and then the browser dumped its cache and I lost everything.

- Get the cheapest quad-core you can. You won't go over 3.3GHz quad-core no matter what (more likely around 3.3-3.5 single-core and 3-3.1 quad).

- 6 cell doubles your battery life, which won't be that great without tweaks anyway. You'll max out at around 4 hours without the 6-cell;

- Get the G.Skill RipjawsX PnP 2133 CL11. Multiple users have confirmed they work well in the 2570p and e6430, while others are either not reported (corsair vengeance) or usntable (Kingston Impact).

- Consider getting a e6430 instead. It's subtly superior in many ways.

Thanks for the input.

So what significant differences are between a 35W and a 45W QM (including the GPUs)? Will the standard (65W I believe) power brick have any issues with a 45W cpu? My "personal" goal would be 3 ghz on all 4 cores.

My ideal setup would be the smallest battery and an extra 9 cell for long school days. Not sure on those listed on ebay, even ebay.co.uk.

G.skills are hard to find around here. Only crucial, adata and kingston.

I won't go bigger than 2570p. A notebook should be as small as possible, because you buy it for mobility.

The power brick can handle t no problem. Yea, you can get 3GHz across 4 cores. In order to max out the iGPU performance, you need 2133 RAM, but make sure it doesn't glitch your iGPU. It's a pity you can't use EFI vars to overclock the iGPU in the 2570p. Yea, smallest battery + 9-cell is also an option. You can also get pretty much any decent ram and just get an eGPU for graphics-related needs.

I don't think the 2133 ram is worth it. Especially if the performance gain is low. I was thinking to get 100% out of the igpu so i wouldn't bother with egpu.

But if I would, what graphics card should I get? I mean, afaik the expresscard adaptor limits the pci-e to x1, so the more powerful the card the more bottleneck. So which one is the least bottlenecked and can also make cs:go playable (>=100fps) on low with 4:3 resolution?

I was looking for a AC 5ghz wifi card. Since they're about the same price should I get the intel 7260 or BCM4352? Bluetooth is a must.

Don't be that discouraged. A Gen2 x1 connection approaches 90% of the GPU potential. You can overcome that difference by overclocking the card, for example.

In hindsight buying the 2133 ram that won't even do 2133 was a waste of cash for me, but meh.

My EXP GDC was unfortunately unable to maintain a Gen2 link, but even over an x1.1 link, I could still pull off this and this. This being about a 20% performance penalty from scores achieved under desktop use, under Windows 10, DX12.

That's a hell of a boost to have, especially if you can get something like the r9-390X.

If using a 220 Dell DA-2 PSU, you can use the GTX-970/R9-280X (maybe undervolted a little)/Fury Nano and other powerful cards that you won't really feel the penalty on unless you're comparing them directly to desktop performance.

I think the Broadcom can do much higher speeds but I'm not well educated on wi-fi.

So which Gen 2 adapter do you recommend? Something that can be powered by a small PSU brick. I am not going to use anything above GTX 750 Ti or similar. I would very like to avoid the extra 6-pin power requirement.

• 2 weeks later...
INFO: 2570P WLAN/WWAN/Bluetooth whitelist

I decompressed the F.42 2570P bios using PhoenixTool finding a reasonable number of WWAN, WIFI and Bluetooth adapters shown below. This is as found in the BIOS except I filled in the bits in the brackets [] based on a Google search.

5678:1234 dummy          [some dummy device?]
03F0:231D QDS BRCM1043 [Broadcom Bluetooth]
0A5C:21E1 QDS BRCM1043 [Broadcom Bluetooth BCM20702A0]
0A5C:21B4 QDS BRCM1051 [Broadcom Bluetooth BCM2070 2.1 + EDR]
148F:1000 RT3090BC4 [Ralink RT3090 wireless Bluetooth]
8087:07D6 Kelsey Peak [Intel Centrino Wireless N + WiMAX 6150]
03F0:3A1D MBMF5521GW1 [HP HS2340 HSPA+ WWAN, Ericsson]
03F0:3D1D MBMF5321GW1 [HP HS2350 HSPA+ WWAN, Ericsson]
03F0:3B1D PKRNVWE362 [HP LT2522 LTE/EV DO Verizon WWAN, Novatel]
0BDB:190D Test GPS Combo [Ericsson F5521GW WWAN]
03F0:371D NMC8355 [HP UN2430 (Gobi 3000) WWAN]
03F0:361D NMC8355 [HP UN2430 (Gobi 3000) WWAN]
03F0:421D PKRNVWE371 [HP LT2523 LTE/HSPA+ WWAN, Novatel]
03F0:411D PKRNVWE362 [HP LT2522 LTE/EV DO Verizon WWAN, Novatel]
8086:0085 PD96205ANHU [Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205ABG wifi]
8086:1311 PD96205ANHU [Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205ABG wifi]
8086:0082 PD96205ANHU [Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205ABG wifi]
8086:1301 PD96205ANHU [Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205ABG wifi]
14E4:4359 QDS BRC M1054 [Broadcomm BCM43228 802.11bgn wifi]
168C:0032 PPD-AR5B125 [Atheros AR9485 802.11bgn wifi]

Above: HP 2570P F.42 BIOS WIFI, WWAN and Bluetooth whitelist

Unfortunately nobody has as yet successfully created a modified unwhitelisted bios, REF: bios-mods.com even after many requests for one. This is due to HP applying RSA protection.

<strike>So if you need a better card then consider a USB external one. Only *workable* solution that would allow newer/faster wifi (eg: 802.1ac) would be to get BPlus to manufacturer an interposer ribbon for installation between the systemboard and wifi card. That would delay PCI assertion so the BIOS wouldn't halt with "detected an unsupported card - remove it" , effectively behaving as if plugged the wifi card in after bios boot. Then need DIY eGPU Setup 1.x or ACPI/DSDT hacks to enable the whitelisted port as discussed in [ALL ProBooks/Laptops in General] Our WiFi WhiteListing Days Are 0v3r!</strike>

Good news!! The wifi whitelisting is either broken or disabled as a generous easter egg by the bios programmer. See Reports of non-whitelisted Intel wifi working

Hi to all,

New to this forum. I have bought a used 2570p and I was trying to figure out if I can install a cheap WWAN module from ebay on this laptop, according to quoted text.

Any help woulb be appreciated, since I do not have previous experience with WWAN, whitelists, locked etc .....

So, should I buy this card or it won't work at all? My BIOS is F.61

Thanks again

Hi to all,

New to this forum. I have bought a used 2570p and I was trying to figure out if I can install a cheap WWAN module from ebay on this laptop, according to quoted text.

Any help woulb be appreciated, since I do not have previous experience with WWAN, whitelists, locked etc .....

So, should I buy this card or it won't work at all? My BIOS is F.61

Thanks again

I bought a HS2340 for travels in the UK. Works great, and super cheap. About $15 USD. You run the risk of the hardware ID being not on the whitelist if you don't buy one that says "HP" in the description. If you want something cheap, go with this one if you're in the UK:

Ericsson F5521GW HP HS2340 HSPA 21Mbps WWAN Card 632155 001 | eBay

looks like 13 quid shipped within the UK.

http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html#post38399

I have question about this, does enable ASPMs in the ACPI FACP and set L0s L1s in the pci-e configuration cause problem for the eGPU in windows 8.1? Another question: I've a EXP GDC V6, can it power a GTX 670 with no problem?

http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html#post38399

I have question about this, does enable ASPMs in the ACPI FACP and set L0s L1s in the pci-e configuration cause problem for the eGPU in windows 8.1? Another question: I've a EXP GDC V6, can it power a GTX 670 with no problem?

Enabling ASPMs and L0s L1 did not cause any problems when I tested my eGPU previously on a Win7/Win8 HP 2570P. AN EXP GDC V6 with Dell DA-2 can power a GTX670. The biggest issue with a EXP GDC V6 is intermittent power glitches leading to a failed eGPU (corrected in V7/V8) and the lack of Gen2 signal integrity requiring downgrading the link to Gen1. I'd advise in getting a PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b, both with soldered cables if wanting best Gen2 signal integrity.

My 2570p came with Windows 8 installed in legacy mode on a 500gb HDD. I have replaced the HD with a SSD booting to UEFI alternate OS. It works great but I can't access the bios screen or boot options. Neither ESC, F9, or F10 work. How can I access the Bios setup area?

Before doing this, I changed the boot mode to UEFI Legacy hybrid.

I bought a HS2340 for travels in the UK. Works great, and super cheap. About $15 USD. You run the risk of the hardware ID being not on the whitelist if you don't buy one that says "HP" in the description. If you want something cheap, go with this one if you're in the UK:

Ericsson F5521GW HP HS2340 HSPA 21Mbps WWAN Card 632155 001 | eBay

looks like 13 quid shipped within the UK.

Sorry for late response, but the HS2340 you bought, is HP branded or something else. As you think I don't want to spend more than $20 for a WWAN card.

I am looking for a non HP but Ericsson card.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully done eGPU implementations on the 2570p with GTX 900 series graphics cards? Or if not what are some good graphics cards to get that work well with the 2570? Looking to upgrade from my 560 Ti, my budget is $100-$200

Has anyone successfully done eGPU implementations on the 2570p with GTX 900 series graphics cards? Or if not what are some good graphics cards to get that work well with the 2570? Looking to upgrade from my 560 Ti, my budget is $100-$200

GTX9xx, just like GTX750/650 requires a 256MB+32MB contiguous 256MB boundary aligned PCI memory allocation space. Unfortunately the 2570P's bios locked TOLUD will prevent those eGPUs from being able to be allocated along with the iGPU in 32-bit space.

Those require a DSDT override to work, which has been done successfully on a 2570P as explained on first page.

Other GTX6xx,7xx all require a lesser contiguous s 128MB+64MB so can be allocated in 32-bit space. We've found a Win8.1 install with UEFI does the trick.

GTX9xx, just like GTX750/650 requires a 256MB+32MB contiguous 256MB boundary aligned PCI memory allocation space. Unfortunately the 2570P's bios locked TOLUD will prevent those eGPUs from being able to be allocated along with the iGPU in 32-bit space.

Those require a DSDT override to work, which has been done successfully on a 2570P as explained on first page.

Other GTX6xx,7xx all require a lesser contiguous s 128MB+64MB so can be allocated in 32-bit space. We've found a Win8.1 install with UEFI does the trick.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to check how much PCI memory allocation space a GPU uses beforehand, like on its spec sheet somewhere? Or do we basically have to rely on what other people have tried before. I'm mostly considering the GTX 670 and 770 at this point, want to make sure they will be plug and play on my system.