Hello guys :)

Someone here with a 9xx GTX card? Any problem? I'm looking forward a 960 GTX :D

GTX970/80 cards require a contiguous 256MB block for PCIe allocation making them no longer PNP on a 2570P. When I tested a AMD card on a 2570P I required both a DSDT override AND Setup 1.30 to get it to work.

In comparison, GTX7xx/GTX6xx cards require 128MB+32MB+16MB and so have been found to work in a PnP manner with the 2570P's default bios-allocated PCIe config space.

Consider this as well as the performance ranking below before you jump for a GTX960. GTX680/770 can be had for low $$ as secondhand ebay units.

GTX760 < GTX670 < GTX960 < GTX680 < GTX770 < GTX780 < GTX970 < GTX780Ti < GTX980

• Thumbs Up 1

Consider this as well as the performance ranking below before you jump for a GTX960. GTX680/770 can be had for low $$ as secondhand ebay units.

Where where??? Not in Italy, anyway :)

This's so sad. a brand-new 960 for 200 € would be pretty much my sweet spot. I hope to find an used 770 for a legit price then...

hello,

decide to buy 2570p. Have some questions.

a) will 2570p turn on automaticlly after placing in a dock? need i press a button on a dock? on a notebook?

B) does dock affect proper cooling (air cycling)?

many thanks!

hello,

decide to buy 2570p. Have some questions.

a) will 2570p turn on automaticlly after placing in a dock? need i press a button on a dock? on a notebook?

B) does dock affect proper cooling (air cycling)?

many thanks!

Hi haro,

A) the dock has a buton to power on the laptop and it works even with laptops lid closed. I can even boot with my eGPU solution with the EC inserted without any problems, never opening the laptops lid.

B) I've only used it for the past two months and I don't have any cooling problems. My 2570p has a 3630QM in it. But its winter time here...

Hey guys I just bought 2570p mostly for its design and built quality (coming from X201 which is also pretty good but plastic). I have few questions: where can I buy the weight saver kit for a good price ? Everywhere I look its $41-45 shipped...

Also is there a mod for the keyboard light (not sure if mine is defective), the light pretty much does nothing, at night I can see keyboard at all even with light ON. I am not sure how they managed to stick that cheap part in there considering whole laptop is quality made. I have the same light on X201 and it works great....

edit: looks like i found answer to my 2nd question

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/elitebook-nightlight-mod.670633/

edit: Apparently the above doesn't work on 2570p :(

another question came up, is it worth upgrading from 3310m to 3380m, basically .4Ghz increase for about $70 bucks ?

So I finally got around to getting the Throttlestop results for my setup. It seems I ended up with one of the more efficient chips compared to the other i7-3630QM results from this thread. I was able to get up to x33 multiplier before it started throttling due to high temps. Am not using any heatsink mods atm, maybe I will try adding some in the future and redo my results.

post-27014-14494999356271_thumb.png

Also, the OP incorrectly states that I am using an i7-3720QM, maybe you can fix that when you get a chance @Tech Inferno Fan?

• 2 weeks later...

Been flirting with eGPU DIY for a long while now but never had a machine to do it with, tomorrow I'm shooting up the $$ for a 2570P. What did it for me is the possibility of maintaining the storage options I had on my w230ss (SSD + HDD + 3G) so long as I use the caddy for the second storage device. It was either this or x230, but x230 required too many storage sacrifices.

The fact that I can upgrade to a quad core definitely helped make the choice. I'm going to be having so much reading to do to get all the tweaks right and the eGPU going :)

I am a former owner of 2570p currently owning 8570p and most informations in this thread apply to 8570p also.

I believe the last BIOS without whitelist was F46. I flashed BIOS F50 when appeared on HP website some months ago with HP un2400 inside and it worked until yesterday; when I removed un2400 for some other reason. Put it back minutes later and error 703 Unsupported device. Apparently

the dreaded whitelist is back with F50 but hidden until first removal of the device. I flashed the new BIOS F61 and I still cannot use HP un2400 anymore.

Can anybody with F50 or F60 (or F61 if 8570p) still use a non-whitelisted modem or wifi?

I think the smoking gun was that you cannot flash back an older version. Probably my last HP if they did this whit no mention in changes list. They don't have time to fix ASPM but they have time to screw us!

I am a former owner of 2570p currently owning 8570p and most informations in this thread apply to 8570p also.

I believe the last BIOS without whitelist was F46. I flashed BIOS F50 when appeared on HP website some months ago with HP un2400 inside and it worked until yesterday; when I removed un2400 for some other reason. Put it back minutes later and error 703 Unsupported device. Apparently

the dreaded whitelist is back with F50 but hidden until first removal of the device. I flashed the new BIOS F61 and I still cannot use HP un2400 anymore.

Can anybody with F50 or F60 (or F61 if 8570p) still use a non-whitelisted modem or wifi?

I think the smoking gun was that you cannot flash back an older version. Probably my last HP if they did this whit no mention in changes list. They don't have time to fix ASPM but they have time to screw us!

WWAN whitelist has never been removed in this series. Its only the WLAN that is not white listed. Presumably to allow hacintosh users to swap in supported (mostly broadcom) WLAN cards.

If you save your pre-F.60 bios as a complete eeprom dump using the Intel fpt/fpt64.exe utility like described at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-12.html#post65904 , then you can flash F.60 and rollback to you previous version.

The ASPM fix would be great across the whole Ivy Bridge Elitebook range, if not at least as an experimental option in the BIOS to enable for interested users. Though I can see from a marketting perspective HP may want users to upgrade to newer Haswell/Broadwell systems which unfortunately have far more restrictive CPU (often soldered CPU) and eGPU (expresscard) upgrade potential. Many are ultrabooks so do away with optical drives and high capacity batteries too. It's would be case of going backwards for some of us.

First of all let me thank you Tech Inferno Fan for all the informations I learned from your posts in the last half decade, starting with your external VGA thread when it was a couple of pages long. Double thanks for still caring for EliteBook xx70 owners. Do you still have a 2570p? After seeing E6440 in your signature I thaught you sold it or something. Triple thanks for the eeprom dump information.

I owned 2570p until mid 2014 and I had 2 non-whitelisted modems in it with BIOS F42 I think. Now that you mentioned it I remember when removing first modem and putting another one I couldn't use the first. I think something is broken in their BIOS. They let you use any modem, but if you take it out even once will not work anymore ... ever.

Will try today the WLAN with a 802.11ac card. I had lost hope on that one two.

I looked for a replacement for xx70 series and came to the same conclusions. I think it's the end of an era and OUR next laptops will have soldered processors, probably soldered RAM, no optical drive. I hope they will put full power CPU, not low voltage, and no whitelist. At least 1TB SSD are almost afordable so single drive can be used. Waiting for more diversity in the 1TB SSD cause I don't trust Samsung with storage.

First of all let me thank you Tech Inferno Fan for all the informations I learned from your posts in the last half decade, starting with your external VGA thread when it was a couple of pages long. Double thanks for still caring for EliteBook xx70 owners. Do you still have a 2570p? After seeing E6440 in your signature I thaught you sold it or something. Triple thanks for the eeprom dump information.

I owned 2570p until mid 2014 and I had 2 non-whitelisted modems in it with BIOS F42 I think. Now that you mentioned it I remember when removing first modem and putting another one I couldn't use the first. I think something is broken in their BIOS. They let you use any modem, but if you take it out even once will not work anymore ... ever.

Will try today the WLAN with a 802.11ac card. I had lost hope on that one two.

I looked for a replacement for xx70 series and came to the same conclusions. I think it's the end of an era and OUR next laptops will have soldered processors, probably soldered RAM, no optical drive. I hope they will put full power CPU, not low voltage, and no whitelist. At least 1TB SSD are almost afordable so single drive can be used. Waiting for more diversity in the 1TB SSD cause I don't trust Samsung with storage.

New release Dell E6440 with 1920x1080P LCD best upgrade from 2570P

New release 14" Dell E6440 has a 1920x1080 eDP LCD option. One E6440 owner proudly having a FHD IPS LCD in his : http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/6980-14-dell-latitude-e6440-owners-lounge-9.html#post123882

If can get a E6440 with an expresscard slot (or retrofit it) then it provides everything the 2570P can plus more (Haswell, mSATA, better screen, backlit keyboard, no WWAN whitelist, dGPU option, small footprint) making it the most logical step up from the 2570P. Warning though, once you start using a 1600x900 or better LCD it makes it difficult to go back to 1366x768.

Keeping in mind vendors are equipping only their top tier expensive workstation systems with those performance features we got as standard on a 2570P (RAID, socketted CPU, expresscard/TB ports), eg: HP ZBooks, Lenovo W540/W541, Dell M2800/M3800/M4800/M6800. The non-ultrabook models being 15" units or larger. The 14" Dell E6440 being noticeably smaller and can too become workstation class when user upgraded.

Hello darkydark, my almost neighbour. I have the i5 3360M on the 8570p and nothing I do benefits more from (lower frequency) 4 cores than from (higher frequency) 2 cores.

The computer I use more than 12 hours each day is the Dragon .... yes HDX 9000 with (undervolted) T9300, 8GB DDR2, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD and BluRay. I put 15 Ohm resistors in series with each fan and I ocassionaly game with the wife sleeping litterally next to my desk. Very quiet fans now with 38 - 40 degrees CPU, 45 - 50 degrees GPU - in games. Idle about half. Full load still quiet. I have a script to stop the HDD and it becomes dead quiet if idle; I can hear the coil whine from the display inverter from more than 2 meters ... during the day. Still love my Dragon.

I use the 8570p the ocassional week-end. Also have 8460p; same batteries and same dock works on both. The wife uses it. I built myself a 24 cell (4S6P) external battery for about 1 time a year usage (testing not included). Works with EliteBooks, not with the Dragon.

All this means I am not in a hurry to buy something unless it brings me something usefull without dropping something I need. Procrastination.

I tested another WWAN modem (Option GlobeTrotter GTM 382) in the 8570p and it does not give unsupported device, just quietly cuts power from the 3.3V lines, about 6 seconds after starting. Just as with all unsupported devices, but no error message. Tried multiple times, putting HP un2400 gives error, putting Option 382 never gives error but not working. Option 382 worked in my 2570p for months, until first removed. They work fine on the Dragon when testing them in the mPCIe TV Tuner slot, the only one equipped with USB lines.

So anybody with a 2570p or 8470p or 8570p, if no WWAN modem was ever (since manufacture) put in them please put a WWAN and expect to work only if you will never remove it. Just don't take it out ... ever. After you take it out no WWAN modem will work again, including the one you just tested. So choose carefully and please report back. It's too late for me but others may still use a WWAN modem in theirs.

If you have an older BIOS, before F50, do not update it. I don't know if it works after F50. I had F46 when I put a modem and it worked. Actually first start gave error, just long pressed power button, started again and It worked for more than 6 months with no error until I took it out unknowingly.

Ask back if you are not sure you read this correctly. Do not update BIOS yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. This post has been a long-time in the waiting to be written as work doesn’t leave me much time to tinker on my 2570p anymore. But, in my free time over the last few months I’ve been able to do the following “mods,” if you will:

• RAID0 Samsung 840 EVO (120GB x2)
  • Windows 8.1 UEFI install - better eGPU support than a MBR installation
  • Grub2 + UEFI Ubuntu Install
  • ASPM Tweak within Grub2

Here I wanted to consolidate all of the resources that I used in the event that someone (2570p or not) wanted to do the same. That and how to fix it when I break my setup. I had to use 5 or 6 resources to get the Grub2 and Ubuntu install to work correctly, and the significant ones will be included in their respective sections. I did all of this because I wanted UEFI Windows 8.1 to eventually have my eGPU up and running with hotplugging (not tested yet), and when I upgrade my OS I buy a new drive (in this case drives) so I don’t lose anything.

In the @Tech Inferno Fan style, I’ll include everything in this post with spoilers to aid in reading. Thanks to @jacobsson for the RAID0 guide and motivation. Mods, feel free to do some format editing if you feel it’s necessary.

Suggested software

CrystalDiskInfo – can read the SMART status of each SSD, something the Samsung software won’t do

CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

GDisk – Can repair GPT disk errors within Windows. Needs both gdisk and fixpart. Best to run when everything's complete.

GPT fdisk | SourceForge.net

Suggested hardware

Nimitz enclosure (cheaper on ebay). I removed the drive access LED.

Amazon.com: Nimitz 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter for Hp Elitebook 2560p 2570p with Bezel: Computers & Accessories

StarTech eSATAp enclosure - If you’re pulling an existing drive and want to keep using it

Amazon.com: StarTech.com eSATAp or USB 3.0 External 2.5-Inch SATA III 6Gbps Hard Drive/Solid State Drive Enclosure with UASP (S251SMU33EP): Computers & Accessories

eSATAp cable

Amazon.com: eSATAp Power Over eSATA Cable 5V and 12V - 3 Feet: Electronics (36inches)

or

Amazon.com: Power over eSATA Cable: Computers & Accessories (20inches)

RAID0 Setup

For RAID0, your sequential read and write speeds are significantly improved. If you do a lot (like, a lot a lot) of work with large files like databases or video editing then this is the setup for you. Or you want bragging rights or something different. I did it originally because I got the drives during a Black Friday sale and I wanted to cut the number of writes to each of the drives in half. Jacobsson did a great writeup that I followed here for how to install/configure RAID0 on a 2570p.

One thing I didn’t see in there was that you should set your BIOS to “UEFI Native (without CSM)” which will make Windows install in UEFI mode, and probably is the reason that you've read this far. Basically, configure SATA mode to RAID, **change bios mode to UEFI Native (without CSM),** install drives, install windows to one of the drives (one might not take so use the other one), install Intel RST, configure drives to RAID0.

If you're adding an enclosure to do this, then you may need to remove the diagnostic pin if you're having shutdown issues, as described here:

HP Elitebook 8560p Won't Shutdown | NotebookReview

Ubuntu Installation

The Ubuntu install was a little more difficult. Apparently Intel RAIDs and EFI present their own problems when installing Ubuntu, so I had to figure out which one was creating issues and then find/apply the respective fix.

This guide was the most helpful in getting Ubuntu up and running, with exceptions (detailed below):

Install Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows 8.1 in 10 easy steps - Linux News ProLinux News Pro

*Step 1 - Isn’t really necessary but will save time if you break something and have to start over

*Step 2 - Won’t work on UEFI systems. Extract the Ubuntu ISO onto your USB device, or burn a DVD. You’ll probably have to use the "boot EFI file" F9 boot option and locate the .EFI file on your device yourself during boot.

*Step 3 - I shrunk my Windows partition by 10GB for Ubuntu so I would have some space to install programs and play. Use the “Disk Management” program within Windows to do this. As a general rule, only modify Windows partitions within Windows, and Linux partitions within Linux. I’ve used gParted within Linux to modify Windows partitions, but only as a last resort and I had to fix errors on the next Windows boot.

*Step 5 - I didn’t care about Secure Boot, and I couldn’t get setpci to work (for ASPM tweaks) with Secure Boot so I left it off instead of trying to fix it.

*Step 6 - You’ll need to format your partition (10gb in my case) with gParted before installing Ubuntu while using the livelinux version. Leave a few mb at the end of the partition for your backup GPT table. I used the ext4 file system. Per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto, you will need to install to the /dev/mapper/(random letters) partition. There is also a bug with the installer when you try to (re)format the drive using the installer because you’re using a fakeRAID (Intel software RAID), so don’t format it (again) and is the reason you did it before installing in the first place.

*Step 7 - Don't use Boot Repair on your first attempt, as finding the Windows partition won’t work correctly with fakeRAIDs anyway. Only do as a last resort, and my fix for step 8 gives you a decent workaround for not booting to grub2 on the initial reboot that is addressed on steps 7 and 8.

You will need to add your Windows 8 install within grub2 manually. Because of EFI and fakeRAID, the installer won’t be able to find your Windows 8 install partition.

To add Windows 8 to your boot menu, follow the instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub2 particularly the “Windows installed in UEFI-GPT Mode menu entry” paragraph. I ultimately ended up with the following entry in my 40_custom file, minus the setpci and pcie_aspm=force entries which were for the ASPM tweaks described below:

menuentry "Microsoft Windows 8.1 UEFI-GPT" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod chain
insmod setpci
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 56EE-A46D
setpci -s 0:1c.1 50.b=0x43 #expresscard
setpci -s 0:1c.2 50.b=0x43 #Sd/mmc
setpci -s 23:0.0 90.b=0x43 #Sd/mmc
setpci -s 23:0.2 90.b=0x43 #Sd/mmc
setpci -s 0:1c.3 50.b=0x43 #wifi
setpci -s 24:0.0 50.b=0x43 #wifi new
#setpci -s 24:0.0 f0.b=0x43 #wifi
#pcie_aspm=force
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

I use and encourage the uuid method so that booting still works if you add drives to your system. You will have to change the Root UUID to whatever yours is following the instructions on the archlinux page.

*Step 8 - YOU DON'T HAVE TO MESS WITH BCD TO MAKE GRUB2 WORK. Instead, enable Custom Boot in your BIOS as a boot option, then at the bottom, define the boot location as “\efi\ubuntu\shimx64.efi” and set Custom Boot as your first boot option. This way you can use the Windows Boot Manager to boot vanilla Windows 8 if your grub2 boot config isn’t working correctly and you don't break your entire computer.

*Step 9 – Ubuntu will be the top entry. If you want Windows to be the top entry, you can rename 40_custom to something like 09_custom.

Your backlight settings won’t work right now in Linux only. Change the LINUX_DEFAULT line with the following commands for backlight and powersave fixes:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor pcie_aspm=powersave"

In the top of “\etc\default\grub”

Run sudo update-grub

You may be tempted to use Grub-Customizer or something similar. It broke my Grub2 (bad) and I had to fix it using my bootable usb. YMMV though, as maybe I was trying to do too many things at a time. I've also read reports that EasyBCD doesn't like EFI configurations, so use caution if using that software.

ASPM Tweak

This is old-school stuff from almost 4 years ago, but because HP won’t enable ASPMs on our laptops we need to do it from either grub2 or Setup 1.x if you want the power savings. I used to do this from Setup 1.x, and it was way easier to do so (worth the donation AND you get pacman!), but Setup 1.x doesn’t work with UEFI.

Start here: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/ASPM

Review the “Enabling ASPM with setpci” section. Super convenient that you just installed Linux, huh?

If you review above in my 40_custom entry, you’ll see that I double-tapped the PCIe port and device with force-enabling the ASPM. I haven’t tried if it will work without forcing both the port and device to use ASPM, but why not do both. The nice part is that you only should have to do this once for your WLAN device (unless you’re using a 7260 like me) as all of our other ports/devices should be the same. If you have a device that lives in your expresscard slot like one of these Amazon.com: GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter (Dual Port): Computers & Accessories then you’ll have to do it another time for that one as well. I expect that the wifi device address (24…wifi part above) will be different if your wifi card is not a 7260, as Nando’s and mine were different and he's running something different.

Results

I’m not using a RAMDisk for my Firefox cache anymore as it wasn’t getting along with RST. I haven’t noticed a difference in load times in Firefox with the RAID0 setup. It also took a while to get used to a computer that was too quiet, but not that this is a problem anyway!

Some benchmarks:

post-8761-14494999587461_thumb.jpg

I'm sure I took a performance hit by going with the 120GB 840 EVOs, but I don't need the space and the price premium for the 240GB versions wasn't worth it to me. If you want a good hack as to whether a RAID0 SSD array is good for you, check out here: RAID 0: Great For Benchmarks, Not So Much In The Real World - One SSD Vs. Two In RAID: Which Is Better?. I've idled at 4.9w before, but with firefox open it's usually somewhere in the 7-9 range. Before the ASPM tweaks, add 2-3W for each situation. Not bad, huh? Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions, this post is a compilation of things I've one since the end of November and my memory may be a bit fuzzy in some spots.

post-8761-14494999587258_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey all. This post has been a long-time in the waiting to be written as work doesn’t leave me much time to tinker on my 2570p anymore. But, in my free time over the last few months I’ve been able to do the following “mods,” if you will:

• RAID0 Samsung 840 EVO (120GB x2)
  • Windows 8.1 UEFI install - better eGPU support than a MBR installation
  • Grub2 + UEFI Ubuntu Install
  • ASPM Tweak within Grub2

Here I wanted to consolidate all of the resources that I used in the event that someone (2570p or not) wanted to do the same.

@phillofoc, thank you for posting your detailed guide. There is one aspect of it that concerns me and that is it looks to me like the ASPM flag isn't being patched in the ACPI FACP as it is in my guide at 2570P ASPM tweak guide. I found that was the the key in getting the 2W power savings in Windows which occurred once the SD/MMC controller disappeared from Device Manager, after some time of not being used (from memory it was like 90s). The additional setpci commands weren't even necessary.

I've extracted the content from on my guide and commented it below with the two required grub2 memory writes to accomplish this. Can you add this to your grub2 40_custom file and test?

##**********************************************************************
## FACP: pci-e ASPMs enabled in IARCH_BOOT
##
## PER http://web.archive.org/web/forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/606100-enable-aspm-t61-running-windows-saving-2w-power-consumption.html#post7902424
## FACP address identified using 'r-w everything' software
## Note: FACP address is 0xB9CF5000 for bios F.34
##       FACP address is 0xB9FFC000 for bios F.40, F.41, F.42 as used below
##**********************************************************************

## Change FACP IARCH_BOOT ASPMs on bit 4: 0x13 -> 0x3 ## pt MEM write 1 0xB9FFC06D 0x3 write_byte 0xB9FFC06D 0x3

## Now add 0x10 to checksum correct 0x10 deducted above to a unused byte ## pt MEM write 1 0xB9FFC019 0x10 write_byte 0xB9FFC019 0x10

Test by running powercfg -energy in Win7/8 then reviewing the output HTML file. There will be an entry showing the following if ASPMs are still disabled upon which pls review above code until get it sorted.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer

• 3 weeks later...

hello Nando, i'm having hard time with dsdt override, i get 201 errors, when compiled, i get 144 errors, but when I load it with dsdt.aml, I always get a bluescreen when loading windows,, also, I managed to get it booted, and it is really slow, I can see gesture of my mouse cursor.. please help me compiling..

Hello everyone.

I am looking to upgrade my i5 cpu to a i7 QM. Which model allows voltage decrease? A 2ghz QM undervolted is pretty much what I need. Also are there any practical differences between 35w and 45w cpus? Especially about power draw/temps/noise.

And something I haven't found an answer to: can the iGPU be overclocked on these cpus?

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

I am looking to upgrade my i5 cpu to a i7 QM. Which model allows voltage decrease? A 2ghz QM undervolted is pretty much what I need. Also are there any practical differences between 35w and 45w cpus? Especially about power draw/temps/noise.

And something I haven't found an answer to: can the iGPU be overclocked on these cpus?

Thanks!

Run a 45W i7-quad at around x31 or x32 using Throttlestop to limit it to around 35W TDP, same as the original dual-core i5/i7. See http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html . No, the iGPU cannot be overclocked. Best you can do is run a dual-channel RAM configuration to speed up the iGPU. A little more performance can be had with faster RAM. Best upgrade for faster graphics is an eGPU which can see 5-10 times faster graphics depending on the video card you choose.

Guys, I have a problem.

I have upgraded from i5-3210m to i7-3612qm and now I got some wierd picture/flickering problems. I have tried upgrading the bios but the problem remains. However, If I select to extend the screen using only laptop screen flickering dissapears and everything works normal. What could be the issue here?

edit: faulty IGP on cpu :/

Hi guys i have reently bought a secondhand 2570p after i stumbled over this thread. Since i have been playing less and less games i figured that selling my dekstop and getting a laptop with a egpu might be the way to go. Anyway, I have been looking at picking up a QM processor for it and i'm having a hard time deciding which processor to get.

Which QM processor is optimal for the 2570p? Price performance wise that is. Seems getting a 3840qm or 3740qm might be kind of a waste of money? or how big a difference compared to the 3632qm is there really?

Hi guys i have reently bought a secondhand 2570p after i stumbled over this thread. Since i have been playing less and less games i figured that selling my dekstop and getting a laptop with a egpu might be the way to go. Anyway, I have been looking at picking up a QM processor for it and i'm having a hard time deciding which processor to get.

Which QM processor is optimal for the 2570p? Price performance wise that is. Seems getting a 3840qm or 3740qm might be kind of a waste of money? or how big a difference compared to the 3632qm is there really?

Please review the max multipler achieved during the TS bench with multiple QM IVB samples at http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181 . It's pretty much a silicon lottery as to what the capabilities are of the chip you get. Suggest review prices of a i7-3610QM, i7-3630QM, i7-3720QM, i7-3740QM and i7-3820QM, picking one based on local availability.

There is at most a 400Mhz 4-core performance difference between the lowest end to the best chip you can get. I wouldn't bother with the 35W i7-3612QM/i7-3632QM since you can just downclock one of the 45W CPU by -300Mhz using Throttlestop software to run them at the same ~35W TDP level.