How Do I Overclock in Linux? M14XR1 Debian Squeeze A08

Hi,

This forum is amazing. I'm a noob here and I was so impressed I bought the elite membership immediately.

I'm having a big issue though, which is that I can't get this overclocking .exe's to run in wine (Windows virtualization).

Is there a way to max the m14x unlocked bios for a08 work in linux? Thanks in advance!

Why would you want to do such a thing?

I mean if you are using debian squeeze, you should know that Debian stable is always a bit outdated (but rock solid) and doesn't offer the same performance as Debian testing or a different GNU/Linux distro.

Also I cannot think of many Linux applications that would benefit from a few percent extra performance at the price of stability, except gaming and we all know gaming and especially reasonable graphics drivers is more of a Windows thing.

Overclocking tools not working in Wine is what I would expect, I wouldn't even try. Wine tries to provide basic interfaces for windows software that wants to use these interfaces. Basic interfaces not some complex interfaces that allow direct hardware manipulation.

So, does anyone know how to do this?

I want to overclock to increase my speed. My OS is the stable version of Debian (Debian 6 Squeeze) for a lot of reasons unrelated to overclocking; upgrading to a beta version isn't what I'm looking for, I'd like to overclock.

only way i can think of would be in-bios OCing.

^ This.

Or if you feel adventurous you can take a look at the source code of nvclock, an outdated Linux overclocking utility for Nvidia chips, but I don't think it has Fermi support, but with some research it might be possible to update it.

Debian Testing is not a rolling release. Testing is the stage between stable release and Unstable where development occurs. According to Debian's own writeup for Wheezy (current Testing): "That means that things should not break as badly as in unstable or experimental distributions, [...]." Debian Testing also, "does not get security updates in a timely manner." Or, to put it briefly, Testing = beta.

To the OP, overclocking on Linux isn't worth the effort. The tools for it aren't there outside of whatever you get in the system BIOS. This isn't going to be much on M14xR2. The third generation Core i series CPUs already do a pretty good job of automatically overclocking themselves for single-threaded processes.

Running the Windows tools under Wine won't work. Wine does not provide the direct access to the underlying hardware that these tools need.

A rolling release is a release where improvements/development happen gradually. I believe Debian Testing maches this description perfectly. Only during feature freeze improvements are limited to stability and security fixes.

if I may quote wikipedia...

All rolling distributions (whether part-, full-, pseudo-, true-, cyclic-, etc.)....

This implies cyclic rolling distributions are a subset of rolling distributions!

Also we are talking about a feature freeze not a general freeze.

And yet it moves!