Msi-gt683 + nvidia 675m = true?

Mr.Toolbox

Hello i'm considering upgrading my msi 683 which has a 560m card to a 675m. I want to make sure that its going to work properly, so im asking; will it work? Is there something i need to do for it to work or do i simply plug it in? I found a few 675 cards in the uk but there are a few different versions; one with 4gb and one with 2gb and i dont know which one to get.

• 3 weeks later...
@Mr.Toolbox True -- Sandy Bridge MSI's don't have Optimus, so high-end Fermi is as good as it gets with Nvidia. Best upgrade for GT683 is 7970m with a modified heatsink.

@Fedexultra I remember seeing that somewhere... haha, oh wait that was me! Good quote though. :)

But why we can not use GTX680m in MSI GT683?? I can not find any answer all over the internet((

Is it matter of BIOS?

But why we can not use GTX680m in MSI GT683?? I can not find any answer all over the internet((

Is it matter of BIOS?

Partially BIOS support. It's a matter of not having Optimus. You get AMD support instead though.

ok so a nvidia 675m will work great, but no card combined with optimus?

two questions; do you know if the the price for nvidia 675 will drop more when the 700 series comes out? and why does the price differ so much when it comes from the same seller on ebay?

I'm curious if these cards: amd radeon 6990m Dell Alienware M18x ATI AMD Radeon 6990m 2GB (2954407861) - Allegro.pl - Wi (sorry for giving page in polish language), geforce gtx 580m GTX580m 2GB DDR5 (2958359755) - Allegro.pl - Wi , and amd radeon 6970m from dell alienware m17x ATI RADEON AMD 6970M 2GB ! DELL ALIENWARE M17X !! (2960035350) - Allegro.pl - Wi will work in my msi gt683? I'm really sorry for giving those pages in polish, and for my poor english but i'm tryin.

I'm curious if these cards: amd radeon 6990m Dell Alienware M18x ATI AMD Radeon 6990m 2GB (2954407861) - Allegro.pl - Wi (sorry for giving page in polish language), geforce gtx 580m GTX580m 2GB DDR5 (2958359755) - Allegro.pl - Wi , and amd radeon 6970m from dell alienware m17x ATI RADEON AMD 6970M 2GB ! DELL ALIENWARE M17X !! (2960035350) - Allegro.pl - Wi will work in my msi gt683? I'm really sorry for giving those pages in polish, and for my poor english but i'm tryin.

All 3 should work. I have a Dell 6990M in my MSI 16F2 right now. :)

• 3 months later...

If it's any help, I have a GT780DX and just installed a Dell GTX675m (no bios flash required at all) after cleaning out previous drivers through Add/Remove programs and DriverSweeper and installing proper drivers for the current card and it works exactly as intended, throttling and all. x.x Only real problem I've run into is that now my HDMI port pretends that it doesn't exist. I still haven't found a solution from that, but I hope this helps.

7970m works on both 16F1 (gx660/gt680) and 16F2/1761 (GT683/GT780DX) motherboards. Tested by me on gx660 and gt780dx msi's. The gx660 accepts a 570m too. I tried changing cards once just for curiosity. For 16F1 models the highest you can go is 7970m performance wise. A 675m does work too but keep an eye on temps ;) also some vbioses enable hdmi but create problems with drivers (crashes/bsod) and others disable hdmi and work pretty stable. You'll have to sacrifice something..

For 16F2/1761 the 675m issues remain valid. Regarding the 7970m, it works great. However, in-game, turbofan must be used as the EC doesn't read the gpu temp. The fan spins up only if the cpu gets stressed. Kepler based cards need support from bios which older models don't provide. As majster said, you will have to disable optimus on the vbios and upgrade the Intel MEI firmware on the bios itself (it's not so easy). Reverse engineering the bios and integrating the code from scratch..too much work. Debbuging comes next too..not worth the time in my opinion. If performance is needed stick to a 7970m and you'll be fine for a while ;) save the money for a new system with haswell and maxwell!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all...

I own a MSI GT680 and I would like to upgrade the GPU.

My questions are:

1. Does the 7970m and GTX675m (2 or 4 GB) works with this notebook model?
  2. Which graphic card is better in terms of performance and issues for this notebook model - 7970m or GTX675m?
  3. Do I have to buy a new heat sink or does the stock one from GTX460m fit both of these cards (7970m or GTX675m)?
  4. Do I have to upgrade the vbios in these cards in order to make them work on this notebook?

Thanks for your answer.

Hi all...

I own a MSI GT680 and I would like to upgrade the GPU.

My questions are:

Does the 7970m and GTX675m (2 or 4 GB) works with this notebook model?

Which graphic card is better in terms of performance and issues for this notebook model - 7970m or GTX675m?

Do I have to buy a new heat sink or does the stock one from GTX460m fit both of these cards (7970m or GTX675m)?

Do I have to upgrade the vbios in these cards in order to make them work on this notebook?

The original PSU is 150W. Do I have to buy a new PSU with 180W or 220W?

Thanks for your answer.