what will be the highest possible gpu upgrade on msi gt683r?

jamesrhine

• 2 weeks later...
I think the gtx 675m would be the best possible with unmodified/stock heatsink. I dony think anyone have had success with the kepler ones.

How much of an improvement do you think it would be over my current 560M? I'm always maxed out at 99% GPU usage in BF3...not a big deal, as it isn't getting too hot, but I'd still like to get some increased performance.

Not trying to threadjack, but what would be the fastest GPU to put in without modding the heat sink? I had to take mine apart to reapply the thermal paste and realized it would be easy to swap GPU's (and even CPU's)

Nothing. The 560m heatsink only works with the 560m. You'll need to buy a new heatsink at the very least if you are upgrading. If you want an AMD card you'll need to either buy a new heatsink and modify or modify an existing one.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2012 at 2:34 AM, teuing said:

Yes indeed! I forgot that one.

I've read on some other forum saying that you can user m-PCIe slot for the Wifi adapter.

but that would be impractical :)

If you use that for external GPU then you cannot use a wifi card anymore. making your nb hooked to modem/router

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if anyone has successfully placed an 900 series GPU in the GT683?  I upgraded mine from a 570 to a 770 and what an amazing difference not to mention being much cooler running.  I was looking at a 970 but haven't actually seen anyone do it online.  I know this thread it a bit old but I would love to hear of any success (or lack of) stories.  Anyone try a 1060?  Thanks!

The highest GPU is the GTX 980M in GT683(MS-16F2).

For this Card You need another Heatsink or You modify Your old one.

But for the Thermalpower of this Card is better to use the Heatsink with Cpu Bridge.

You also can use HD7970M,but only Rev. 1.2 with Clevo Vbios.

I tried last Week the HD8970M from GX60,it doesn`t work.

GTX 1060 ist also not working.

Between GTX 675M and GTX 980M only the GTX 765M and GTX 770M works.

But the GTX 765M not with every Vbios and GTX 770 from Dell only with modded Driver

because it is not possible to use the MSI Vbios on it.

It bricks the Card.