alienware m14x bsod

mojo369

i just installed an ocz solid 3 480gb ssd on my alienware m14x r1 and after one day my laptop blue screened on windows start up

then it started up normally and after a while it blue screened again

Can you tell me if there is something wrong with my ssd or laptop

• Founder

Seems to be a common issue with this drive, here is what I found that was suggested by OCZ:

Backup/Image any critical data. Prepare a Bootable Tools .iso and read the Secure Erase and Re-Flash Firmware guides here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...and-Ibis-SSD-s

Then>>

1. Switch off System, Turn off the PSU, remove Power cord from outlet, Disconnect the SSD and all other drives.

2. Fully clear CMOS and make sure the mainboard BIOS is the latest.

3. Attach power/turn on PSU and configure CMOS to safe Defaults and set AHCI SATA mode.

4. Connect the SSD back to SATA port 0/1, switch on and boot to CMOS to ensure SSD is detected in BIOS.

a. (At this stage, only the SSD on SATA port 0/1 and CD/DVD drives SATA port 4/5 should be attached).

5. Put the Bootable Tools CD in it’s drive, change Boot Order to CD/DVD first and Boot to it.

a. Secure Erase the SSD and wait 1 minute (Power down the system, remove power to the drive for 1 minute, reconnect the drive and power on)

b. Force Flash the latest Firmware and wait 1 minute.

6. Re-Install/Restore Windows

If it still gives you BSOD after doing the above, then RMA the drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with my Kingston, constant BSODs. I thought it was a BIOS / SATA issue (running A08, stock), but after much pulling my hair out today, I found my SSD had another update (I had just updated it a few months ago) - it's a Kingston, but apparently Sandforce has been having issues with their controllers and shipped a fix to the SSD makers. I would definitely recommend a firmware update, mine was a simple update through windows (taking life into my own hands, had I frozen during this process, it might not have ended well), but afterward - NO crashes at all... I've been running stably now for the last hour and a half (and it was crashing every 5-15 mins before).

• 1 month later...