BSOD & Refusing to Boot with new RAM

sh0gunshin

I got a set of these for my notebook (alienware m14x r2)

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 Laptop Memory Model CMSX8GX3M2A1866C10

and my laptop either BSOD's or refuses to boot bringing me to the system repair screen.

edit: just read this

" IF THERE'S A DEFECTIVE MODULE, OR IF THE RAM YOU PURCHASED turns out to be INCOMPATIBLE, Windows simply will not boot, and your PC will act "dead". In that case, remove it, and return it to the manufacturer/distributor for replacement or refund...and stick the old RAM back in until the replacements arrive."

other users have said this ram is compatible with the R2.

In this case, did i get a lemon?

• Founder

@deadbydawn also had this issue with his Corsair Vengeance ram. Another user here at T|I pointed out that he got his system to boot with the ram by first setting 1866 MHz in the bios with his 1333 MHz ram, removing it and then putting the Corsair 1866 MHz ram in. Otherwise the system will not boot. Try that and see if it resolves your problem.

@deadbydawn also had this issue with his Corsair Vengeance ram. Another user here at T|I pointed out that he got his system to boot with the ram by first setting 1866 MHz in the bios with his 1333 MHz ram, removing it and then putting the Corsair 1866 MHz ram in. Otherwise the system will not boot. Try that and see if it resolves your problem.

would i need to switch to any xmp profiles?

yeah, this sounds like what i experienced with my 18x. doesn's seem to me like you're missing anything. i had 4x4gb, and even if i only put 2x4gb in the system, it didn't matter in which combination i put themin, it would always fail. so either, i had at least 3 defectives out of 4, or my particular system just wasn't happy with those particular ram. i now have 4x4 hyperx 1600mhz running out of the box, where other users report to have probs with. it's a little bit funky sometimes with those kind of ram, and can bf a pain in the a**...hope you have better luck with the rma ones bud!

I have HyperX 1866 ,I just plug in and it runs fine , I just got my 2133mhz HyperX pnp ram had same issue with op Refusing to Boot. setting 2133mhz doesn't help , flashed bios A08 , A09 ,d remove cmos battery reset , doesn't help either , is that highly possible the ram defected?

- - - Updated - - -

I have HyperX 1866 ,I just plug in and it runs fine , I just got my 2133mhz HyperX pnp ram had same issue with op Refusing to Boot. setting 2133mhz doesn't help , flashed bios A08 , A09 ,d remove cmos battery reset , doesn't help either , is that highly possible the ram defected?

I have the HyperX 1866 PnP. I have not tried the 2133 flavor. Honestly, it's really good RAM and I do not regret purchasing it, but it does not perform remarkably better than my stock Dell Hynix 1600MHz memory did. It made a very small, almost indiscernible, improvement in my 3DMark11 and Vantage scores. In terms of price-to-performance ratio, it was definitely nothing to be excited about. But, it was reasonably priced.