Intel might kill CPU upgrades?

Future Intel CPUs are expected to be soldered directly into motherboards, and not sold as separate components for people who, like us, enjoy assembling our own PCs.

Rumour: Intel to stop manufacturing LGA CPUs, killing off enthusiast PCs · games.on.net

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/

Could this be true?

Hope not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I don't buy it, read the comments on that site and it seems it was an improper translation of the source. Intel would have no reason to do this. It's just like the conjecture before that Intel was going to kill overclocking with Sandy bridge which was later proven false.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I really am hoping that this is not true - sort of like an Apple policy of you will do what we want you to because we dominate the market. If AMD could rewind the market several years to the early Athlon years and consistenly provide performance competition to Intel then I don't think they would consider doing this.

Anyone else remember those awful PC Chips motherboards with the soldered CPUs....yuck....

• 2 weeks later...
I don't buy it, read the comments on that site and it seems it was an improper translation of the source. Intel would have no reason to do this. It's just like the conjecture before that Intel was going to kill overclocking with Sandy bridge which was later proven false.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Kill over clocking? :D They did the exact opposite with that move. They created like another 1,000.000 over clockers who didn't need ln2/he/dice/cascade or phase change to compete.

Then turned right around and lost that same 1,000,000 new over clockers when ivy bridge came out. :D Due to heat. :D