What notebook should I buy?

Almost non-existent in my experience, maybe 10-15minutes, definitely not worth going with the 1366x768 display, that's simply not enough pixels for a 15 inch screen.

I don't know of any coupons atm, but whatever you do, don't order online. Call them and make a deal with the rep. You can always get the price down a bit, or get something extra.

• 3 months later...
Guest whatwhatwhat

I filled out a generic questionnaire, if there's anything else pertinent I missed, just let me know.

What is your budget?

$500-1000US, preferably towards the bottom end of the scale.

What country will you be buying this in?

USA

What size notebook do you prefer?

Desktop Replacement (17-inch + screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?

Dislike: Apple

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?

Maybe

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?

Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Music Editing, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor

This will be used for burning of up to 100 DVDs and a few dozen CDs a month, requiring a quality stock optical drive.

Also will be used for music playback at DJ gigs, so sturdy external hardware (audio out jack, HDMI & USB ports) and keyboard backlighting would all be a plus.

Large text composition will not be done, so the keyboard does not need to be particularly ergonomic.

Where will you be using this laptop?

Will be used different places

How many hours of battery life do you need?

Four will suffice, ultimately not a large factor.

Will you be buying online or in store?

online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?

Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:

High Resolution (1600 x 900)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?

Must be matte

Is the laptops design important to you?

No

How long do you want this laptop to last?

4 years

How much storage capacity do you need?

500 GB-Approximate, this is flexible.

Are you interested in SSD for storage?

Of course! But I know it won't be in my price range.

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?

DVD Burner-preferably of high quality. Up to 100 DVDs and CDs will be burned every month.

​Thanks, everyone, for your time!

I filled out a generic questionnaire, if there's anything else pertinent I missed, just let me know.

​Thanks, everyone, for your time!

Most of those specs should fit under 500-1000 but the 17inch screen may push the price if you want all the other things...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Kai chan, you should read through the Clevo owner lounges forums in notebookreview to start. Check out the popular models or reviews there. Clevos are one of the most popular notebooks which you can buy barebone to customise.

• 1 month later...

Overall, unless you need a notebook really urgently, I would wait a few more months, as there is a good chance you might get one with a 4k display... Apparently, Intel will showcase some of those notebooks in mid January 2013 in Beijing!

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgot to say 1 con: it can only fit 7mm drive apparently, so there is quite a limited choice in that respect. One can of course go with the mSATA SSD but they are somewhat slower and more expensive.

mSATA drives can be as fast as their 2.5" counterparts. Look at Samsung and Crucial/Micron - identical speeds.

Overall, unless you need a notebook really urgently, I would wait a few more months, as there is a good chance you might get one with a 4k display... Apparently, Intel will showcase some of those notebooks in mid January 2013 in Beijing!

As long as Windows can scale it properly... we've had the hardware capability for a while, software needs some catching up.

Well I have had asus g73 jh/sw g74, alienware m17x R2 R3 and m18x R1 I have yet to get an ivy bridge. But so far the m18x R1 sandy bridge with an XM chip running at 4.5 gig seems to make the games run smooth. My previous laptop was an Asus c90p with you guessed ati 3650 hd which reduced all the heating problem as well as the noise from the fans. The best in performance has to be the alienware. But that is only becasue Asus flipped the MXM III connector and means you can't upgrade the graphics cards in the g74 +. So I have had a custom bios installed on the G73JH with SW bios and I can run anything in it including the Nvidia 580M or ATI 7970m. But the heat means I have to have the fan manually set to be on. I just wish that the m17x R3/R4 would have dual graphics card support like the R2. The R2 has the 920xm running at 3.9Gigs but limited to 16Gigs of ram 2 SDIMM slots. Where all the others have four with a limit of 32Gig. Yes the G73JH supports 32Gig Ram 1600. The last remaining laptop is the m18x R1 with nVidia 675M sli. It's my fav atm.

If you have a big budget, I'd recommend the Origin EON17-SLX. I built an i7 with 16gb ram, SLI 680m, two 240gb ssd, and I compared it with other build your own gaming systems online, and Origin had the most features and the best price.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a big budget, I'd recommend the Origin EON17-SLX. I built an i7 with 16gb ram, SLI 680m, two 240gb ssd, and I compared it with other build your own gaming systems online, and Origin had the most features and the best price.

I have that computer right now and it's really awesome. By far the best computer I've ever had. Regretful probably isn't the right word but I wish I went with the 3840qm or 3940xm right off the bat. I got the 3630qm and I find it to be a slight bottleneck for SLI.

I'm going with a 3920xm Qualification Sample from ebay over an available used OEM for $780 I think. Still deciding cause the OEM is definitely more reliable except this one is used and the QS has a replacement warranty.

Anyways great system.

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled across these forums in my search for a new laptop.....very informative reading....so here is what I am after if anyone has any recommendations.

Open to any brand

Laptop will be for moderate gaming - mainly GW2 (at 1680 x 1050)

Will be running mainly on an external monitor.

Battery life really not important.

I have a spare SSD lying around, so HDD size/quality not important - however easy upgradability to SSD is a must :)

some sort of i5 CPU seems to fit my budget best

Screen resolution not very important - will only be used for mild office work when not used with external monitor.

I can cope with 40fps for gaming :)

Budget around $700

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Stumbled across these forums in my search for a new laptop.....very informative reading....so here is what I am after if anyone has any recommendations.

Open to any brand

Laptop will be for moderate gaming - mainly GW2 (at 1680 x 1050)

Will be running mainly on an external monitor.

Battery life really not important.

I have a spare SSD lying around, so HDD size/quality not important - however easy upgradability to SSD is a must :)

some sort of i5 CPU seems to fit my budget best

Screen resolution not very important - will only be used for mild office work when not used with external monitor.

I can cope with 40fps for gaming :)

Budget around $700

Thanks

any laptop with the video gt640m-gt650m

660m is more expensive and it is just 650m overclocked a little bit.

and don't forget about matte matrix