EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs

Hi guys,

Look, I do love my Alienware M14x indeed, but I can't stop thinking of eventually replacing it by another brand (which one?)... All due to recurrent problems with its webcam/microphone.

A couple of months ago my webcam simply vanished from Windows device manager and (long story short) Dell had to replace the MB!

Yesterday another chapter: again the webcam (and the microphone) vanished from device manager. It was not a problem with Windows drivers because even on Linux they didn't work (I have dual boot). This time, after hours on the phone with Dell technical support, we managed to get them working again by updating the BIOS to version A08 (why?!) - it was v.A05.

Not sure why this happened though. I didn't change anything on my Windows/Linux/hardware.

Please, did anyone have the same kind of problems?

Thanks!!

Weird, did you try a power drain? Chances are that this would've solved the issues.

That may be an issue with the webcam itself (or the connector which holds it to the motherboard). The only thing that would remove it from device manager is hitting Fn+F9 which disables the webcam. But you would know if you did something like that.

Well, makes two of us then. Running linux on my end, and had the same thing happen. Webcam, and the dual array microphones, randomly shit out a few days ago. Last time this happened, I used my old motherboard, and swapped. (I had to reflash it in order to get it working again.) Now, knowing that.... This time around, reflashing the BIOS manually did not work. Kind of sad now, since I'm moving really soon, and would like to have these features working, as I will be traveling for a small bit. Please note, I used the latest A08 unlocked BIOS, and still no go. I'm about to resort to a hammer, and cross Dell off of my list. Dell, I was counting on you to make something that worked, and you have failed me again.

PS - If any of the Dell reps see this, could you do some research for me? I really would like to fix this, instead of smashing everything but the hard drive, and switching to something else, ie System 76.....

Guest Alienware-L_Porras
Well, makes two of us then. Running linux on my end, and had the same thing happen. Webcam, and the dual array microphones, randomly shit out a few days ago. Last time this happened, I used my old motherboard, and swapped. (I had to reflash it in order to get it working again.) Now, knowing that.... This time around, reflashing the BIOS manually did not work. Kind of sad now, since I'm moving really soon, and would like to have these features working, as I will be traveling for a small bit. Please note, I used the latest A08 unlocked BIOS, and still no go. I'm about to resort to a hammer, and cross Dell off of my list. Dell, I was counting on you to make something that worked, and you have failed me again.

PS - If any of the Dell reps see this, could you do some research for me? I really would like to fix this, instead of smashing everything but the hard drive, and switching to something else, ie System 76.....

I see on the 1st post that you got it working by putting the A08 BIOS from DELL. Sooo, it went down again and you tried re-flashing and it didn't work... is that what's happening now?

Pretty much, yes. I thought I fixed it, but the webcam and microphones still aren't detected. You think I should try a different version of the bios?

Guest Alienware-L_Porras
Pretty much, yes. I thought I fixed it, but the webcam and microphones still aren't detected. You think I should try a different version of the bios?

I don't think so, that BIOS version was released for an issue like that one and if it does not work then you will probably need a mic/cam assy. replacement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By finerek123
      Hello everybody.
      Ive got 2 jack 3.5 ports. Microphone and for headphones.

A few month ago i damaged headphone output(just my mistake) and now it doesnt work. Laptop doesnt see connected headphones to headphone port.

On my computer, i can use any port on sound card as microphone or speaker or line in.  In realtek manager i can just switch.  But here i cant. I downloaded old drivers from lenovo website, because on newer one, i cant run realtek manager. On microphone port i can only switch between Line In or Microphone. I dont see headphone option.

Is it possible to do it?
    • By Lazerlord
      (First thread on the forum!
      I recently purchased the Zalman ZM MIC1 for recording videos, instead of an external condenser attachment for my ipod. I read the reviews and listened to numerous audio samples from this microphone. All of them seem pretty clear and noise-free. The only problem is that with my computer, the microphone has a HUGE background humm, along with a very large amount of static. I would like to know if this is a problem with the Y500's sound card, a problem with the microphone, or just a software setting I missed. Here are some links:
      The Micriophone with a good audio test: Amazon.com:*Customer Reviews: Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone
      My test Microphone test.mp3 with the following settings in control panel: 100% volume, +20dB microphone boost, and DC offset cancellation.
      My Realtek Settings and information (Note some of the missing options):

EDIT: I tested this microphone on some crappy Toshiba, and there is pretty much no static. It had a 24dB gain on it, and it sounded very good. So what I'm thinking is that the soundcard in the Y500 either doesn't have good specs, or that the "noise removal" feature on the toshiba (which was enabled) is non-existent on the lenovo.
      Other discovery: After installing different versions for the type of sound card I have, I still have yet to find any options for enabling a noise suppression effect. Realtek says that my card supports it, but it never appears in any option, in windows nor in Realtek. I really want to get this mic working, because I could use it for so much. I have also tested it with another microphone, and it does the exact same thing, and the static sounds identical.
    • By faiz7957
      i was also having audio issues with my y500 after doing a fresh install of win8.1 no drivers were missing in device manager but that was only because standard drivers were being used for audio i only noticed after i realised the volume on full was not as loud anymore and after googling around i found Dolby Home Theater v4! v7.2.8000.14 which i believe was available on the stock y500 before this fixed my issue and also some nice options of equalization setting within the app
    • By svl7
      Hey guys, camiloml at bios-mods.com has done some work on BIOS A05, should show now the hidden menus just like A03.
      Hope someone of you can test this and leave some feedback and if possible some pics of the menus as well.
      The BIOS can be found in the link above, just click on the second "here" in the signature of camiloml.
      I still can't test it for my self... would be a difficult task without a M14x
      Once it is confirmed to work I'll repack it with the modded VBIOS so you can keep on overclocking your machines.
      And don't forget the modder of this BIOS, camiloml from bios-mods!!! Please leave some feedback on the bios-mods site as well, I'm sure he'd be very glad to hear that his work gets appreciated!!
      Here's a whole collection of pictures from all the menus, a special thanks to Nekojin for all his work, I highly appreciate this!!!

• By Stevenxowens792
      Here is the m14x support download page. Choose bios and download.
      Drivers & Downloads

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.