M14x webcam woes

4hr1m4n

Hi guys,

Look, I do love my Alienware M14x indeed, but I can't stop thinking of eventually replacing it by another brand (which one?)... All due to recurrent problems with its webcam/microphone.

A couple of months ago my webcam simply vanished from Windows device manager and (long story short) Dell had to replace the MB!

Yesterday another chapter: again the webcam (and the microphone) vanished from device manager. It was not a problem with Windows drivers because even on Linux they didn't work (I have dual boot). This time, after hours on the phone with Dell technical support, we managed to get them working again by updating the BIOS to version A08 (why?!) - it was v.A05.

Not sure why this happened though. I didn't change anything on my Windows/Linux/hardware.

Please, did anyone have the same kind of problems?

Thanks!!

That may be an issue with the webcam itself (or the connector which holds it to the motherboard). The only thing that would remove it from device manager is hitting Fn+F9 which disables the webcam. But you would know if you did something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, makes two of us then. Running linux on my end, and had the same thing happen. Webcam, and the dual array microphones, randomly shit out a few days ago. Last time this happened, I used my old motherboard, and swapped. (I had to reflash it in order to get it working again.) Now, knowing that.... This time around, reflashing the BIOS manually did not work. Kind of sad now, since I'm moving really soon, and would like to have these features working, as I will be traveling for a small bit. Please note, I used the latest A08 unlocked BIOS, and still no go. I'm about to resort to a hammer, and cross Dell off of my list. Dell, I was counting on you to make something that worked, and you have failed me again.

PS - If any of the Dell reps see this, could you do some research for me? I really would like to fix this, instead of smashing everything but the hard drive, and switching to something else, ie System 76.....

Guest Alienware-L_Porras
Well, makes two of us then. Running linux on my end, and had the same thing happen. Webcam, and the dual array microphones, randomly shit out a few days ago. Last time this happened, I used my old motherboard, and swapped. (I had to reflash it in order to get it working again.) Now, knowing that.... This time around, reflashing the BIOS manually did not work. Kind of sad now, since I'm moving really soon, and would like to have these features working, as I will be traveling for a small bit. Please note, I used the latest A08 unlocked BIOS, and still no go. I'm about to resort to a hammer, and cross Dell off of my list. Dell, I was counting on you to make something that worked, and you have failed me again.

PS - If any of the Dell reps see this, could you do some research for me? I really would like to fix this, instead of smashing everything but the hard drive, and switching to something else, ie System 76.....

I see on the 1st post that you got it working by putting the A08 BIOS from DELL. Sooo, it went down again and you tried re-flashing and it didn't work... is that what's happening now?

Guest Alienware-L_Porras
Pretty much, yes. I thought I fixed it, but the webcam and microphones still aren't detected. You think I should try a different version of the bios?

I don't think so, that BIOS version was released for an issue like that one and if it does not work then you will probably need a mic/cam assy. replacement.

• 2 weeks later...