Question on AW M18x Fan for the Dual GPU

faziolim18x

Hi everyone~!!

I owned a AW M18x dual gtx 680m (SLI) and have some question & also curious on the Fan speed of the Dual GPU. When ever I play any games e.g. crysis 2, BF3 etc (with max graphic settings).... My left GPU fan (1st gpu) just screaming like hell but for the right GPU (2nd gpu), it seems to just relax... Both GPU reach between 65 to 70 in temperature, windows system set to high performance.

So, is it normal for these gpu fan speed condition? I thought both fan speed will be equal???

Some information of my AW m18x:

1. i7-3840QM

2. 16GB RAM 1866Mhz

3. Dual GTX 680M (SLI)

4. BIOS A08

It's normal for the left fan to be at higher rpm since gpu 1 usually has more load on it.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Hmm..... There're not much differences between the process rate of the both gpu... only 2 to 5 % in difference would make any big differences?

---

OP: The GPU fans shouldn't be nearly as loud as the CPU fan since the latter is rated at a much higher volume flow rate. Are you sure it's not the CPU fan you're hearing?

Hmm... Lets say if I'm facing the laptop SCREEN, the most right hand side & the most left hand side are the gpu's located right? then the cpu is between the gpu's. Yeah.... The fan on my right hand site which is the 1st? GPU are more louder than the other 2 which is on the left hand site. (2ND GPU & CPU)

So... my conclusion.... is that the software or firmware or the BIOS of the alienware m18x r2 version still not really stable as it should be?? Even the speakers do give me a hard time... (which the right speaker are more louder than the left speaker)

Might be a faulty gpu0 fan. Call AW and complain, they will replace for you.

Oppsss... Sorry I have made a mistake... I mean The fan on the left side are more louder than the right side. Which side is consider the main GPU? The left side (Judge by facing laptop screen) or the right side (The one which the CPU are just beside it)??

For more specific details, I have try out Crysis 2 with max graphic settings for 40 minutes (Graphic's status by my MSI Afterburner)

GPU #1

Temperature: 56~ degree

GPU #2

Temperature: 63~ degree

I'm not sure whether the 1st gpu is on the right side or on the left... I just know that, Facing the laptop screen my gpu fan on the left side are spinning more faster than the gpu on the right side (The fan speed of the gpu & cpu on the left side are almost the same), just the left side fan spinning more faster than the other both on the right side. I dont really think its a faulty gpu fan's because, when flashing new BIOS, all the 3 fans did really run to its max (all equal in fan speed) and I can feel that air rushing out from the vent.

On my m18x usually the left fan is spinning faster/more often than the right one. When i got my first new m18x though the right fan never spun at all which led to a busted graphics card. So ive become kind of paranoid when i cant hear the right fan :)

On my m18x usually the left fan is spinning faster/more often than the right one. When i got my first new m18x though the right fan never spun at all which led to a busted graphics card. So ive become kind of paranoid when i cant hear the right fan :)

Hi Bobcheese~

Yeah.... mine too... the left fan usually spinning faster than the right one... which maybe its the system behavior??? Every time playing games in max graphic settings, I felt curious & paranoid about the right side fan which looks very relaxing but the left side fan scream like hell~ By the way the CPU fan also quite... in the same foot steps with the right gpu fan??? only the left gpu fan spinning very vigorously than the other 2 on the left side.

SJ

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Bobcheese~

Yeah.... mine too... the left fan usually spinning faster than the right one... which maybe its the system behavior??? Every time playing games in max graphic settings, I felt curious & paranoid about the right side fan which looks very relaxing but the left side fan scream like hell~ By the way the CPU fan also quite... in the same foot steps with the right gpu fan??? only the left gpu fan spinning very vigorously than the other 2 on the left side.

SJ

when I`m play the game, if put hand on the top left corner of the laptop, this part is very hot (sensor GPU shows up to 90 degrees). is this normal?

90 C is Borderline overheating, I should know as i am working for Dell ... you should give them a call they will replace your heatsink and fan, advise you have some thermal paste when service takes place as most of EOS dont carry and the thermal pad that is default on the heatsink has a 50/50 chance of doing the job

• 3 weeks later...
when I`m play the game, if put hand on the top left corner of the laptop, this part is very hot (sensor GPU shows up to 90 degrees). is this normal?

Huh!!??? 90 degree!!??? Hmm...... For me max will be around 65 to 75 degree with max graphic settings (with vysnc switched on).... Ah did you switch on the vsync or off it? When I off it, my DUAL GPU temperature will go up to 80++....