Corsair H80, H80i, H100, H100i... your non-biased inputs please....

Rassal

Hi everyone,

I am new around here, and i think i am already starting to love this place.

I would like to get your opinions on those CPU stand alone watercooling solutions. I own 2 of them, an H80 (which i am awaiting an RMA because pump failed) and a brand new, uninstalled H100i.

Now, i got all sorts of problems with the Corsair Link commander and cooling node, because i am using Windows 8, and it's not officialy supported at Corsair. But beside the fact that the software is full of bugs and feels like it's still an alpha product, it has potential.

Now, as for the H-series cooler, how many of you here got those type of coolers, and did you ever had problems with them, like the pump humming that makes everyone go RMA since it's supposed to be silent, and Corsair blames it on power supplies with 12V rails that supply over 12.2v...

How many of you never had any problems with their coolers, and how many of you RMA'd them?

I am awaiting my Rampage IV Extreme out of RMA to install the new H100i inside my PC, but, i would like to get people's opinion over this, beside at the Corsair forums, where people are biased about the product and if you go negative on them, they start to flame you...

What do you think of the overall quality of those H-series cooler?

I never had these but just ordered H60 for my new desktop. I've read reports of people having the coolant liquid leaking. I thought the liquid inside is completely sealed? I'll let you know how mine works out. If I won't like it I'll return it within 30 days back to newegg.

• 2 months later...

I have used/installed close to 8 H50s and one H60. There is no audible pump noises other than the water which is running through the tubing. In terms of Corsair's products and RMA service, I would rank them high. I've gotten replacement RAM and I've only sent one H50 back since it began to leak. However, it was most likely due to the user as that individual attempt to bend the tubing to allow for the radiator to fit in a tight spot.

• 1 month later...

Compared to most close-loop coolers, the H-Series is one of the better ones.

That being said, I've never been a fan (ba-dum-tish) of close-loop liquid coolers. I got one of the first ones to start the whole craze, the Cool-It Domino ALC. After working very well for a few months it did eventually leak, and it was pure luck that it didn't hit any important components. Cool-It replaced it with the newer ALC ECO, which again worked quite well. Until I sold it to a guy and he said it leaked shortly there after as well.

Maybe I just have terrible luck, or maybe Cool-It doesn't know what they're doing. From my own experience however, and from what I've seen working in the field of computers, close-loop systems generally operate more loudly, and are far more dangerous when they do fail. A good chunk of metal from Noctua will do just as well, while staying quiet and not immediately destroying your system if one of the fans fails.

Well, that went a bit longer than I expected. Just my own two cents really, if you are set on a liquid cooler Corsair is the way to go.

• Founder

A well built closed loop should not fail but should always be checked for leak testing periodically. I have the h100i and it works fine although I use Asus software to control the fan. No issues with pump noise or anything else so far.

Keep in mind that noctua and similar air coolers put a lot of stress on the motherboard and can lead to pcb failure.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 1 month later...

I can't comment on the Corsairs specifically, but I had a CoolIT closed-loop watercooling unit that was professionally installed with a desktop I bought a few years back. At the time, I was pretty busy with school and work and never opened the case (didn't have any reason to). One day I suddenly started having problems with my sound card and video card. I opened the case and discovered the watercooling unit had spontaneously sprung a leak and leaked all over the components underneath it. The computer had been in the same place as where I had originally set it up, never moved, never disturbed.

After that experience I would be leery of dealing with any of these units -- even though hundreds, maybe thousands of people have had good experiences.

(I build my own custom watercooling rigs now.)

---MOD---

I'm a new poster here so my last post isn't showing yet.

I would edit it to say that you could argue that with custom loops my risk of a leak are probably even higher.

That might be, in theory, but because it's a custom loop, I never assume it's leak-proof. I periodically open the case and check things out and I have temp monitors that I keep an eye on.

I also don't take loop maintenance for granted, unlike what would be the case with a closed-system loop. Custom loops need to be periodically, if infrequently, cleaned. That added attention probably helps minimize risk of issues, if you're extra careful about how you go about putting the loop together in the first place.

• 2 months later...

The h100i is definitely a nice piece of equipment, especially for the price and the ease of installation and what not.

I used to swear that i would never own a watercooled system, and the h100i made me decide otherwise, now i need to get a custom loop :P

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of the first Hydro series coolers from Corsair a long time ago. I don't remember the model number anymore but it had a single 140mm radiator and had a more cylindrical pump than what they've got today. It worked very well for the year or two I used it and eventually switched to a custom build.

These products are good buys but a big problem will be "upgrading". You can't really build onto it without basically tearing it apart and just using the radiator. Still, if you want a relatively "set and forget" watercooling product, you can't go very wrong with these. I would recommend the H110 because of the 140mm fans. They are great for quieter setups. Both the 110 and 100i have the same size radiator.

According to a lot of tests and thorough reviews, the H100i performs best with different fans. It's practically common to find stock fans lacking anyway, and plus a lot of people immediately replace them. I own the H100 and it's been running my 3930k just fine at 4.6ghz, I replaced the fans a long time ago. But I will admit that I'm only holding on it because I'm saving up for a custom loop. For a lot of people, the H100i is going to work just fine. I grew into settling with an All-In-One like the H100 to desiring a custom loop.

Oh, and it really is a shame that Swiftech H220 is now banned to purchase in the United States, out of all the similar products, this one stood tall. Nonetheless, I think AiO can be a great solution or a great temporary solution.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been using the Corsair Hydro series for a while (2-3 years maybe) from the H50, H60, now I have the H70 or 80 I've never had them leak at all. I usually run my latest in my main computer and the other in my back-up computer, but they've given me solid temps without the headache of maintaining a custom setup. I think AiO area a good way to good.

• 1 month later...

I've been mostly happy with my H60 and H80 that I have. The only issue I've had has been the pump getting somewhat loud over time. They certainly keep my CPUs cool though, and I would likely get one of the new i series if I needed another CPU to be cooled.

I've been mostly happy with my H60 and H80 that I have. The only issue I've had has been the pump getting somewhat loud over time. They certainly keep my CPUs cool though, and I would likely get one of the new i series if I needed another CPU to be cooled.

i second this one, my desktop using H100 under my desk is a bit loud even if i turn the speeds down.

• 3 months later...

I have had the H100i since about September and I love it. Its far quieter than anything I have had in the past. My old box had a very high powerful intake fan that was very noisy. I had to have it on a controller just to turn it down when I wasn't gaming.

• 2 weeks later...