Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

Indeed, I even think it will be offered with a single 460 WAY before they offer 460 or 480 or 485 in SLI...

a single 6970M would be nice, and would definitely be another big help here (understanding dual gpu is a no brainer for most among the market segment even contemplating this sort of system in the first place :P) in making the decision between the two systems - ultimately will boil down to usage, and based on that...

Edited by vikingrinn

2 x Nvidia Geforce 485M Notebook Grafikkarte SLI | eBay

If I had no GF, and wasnt about to move house...

/drool.

If alienware wont supply them I woulda tried to add them myself. Ah, but to dream!

-Ash

EDIT:

Holy fuck scratch one up for Australia - http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/notebook-parts/426-nvidia-gtx4.html

First time I have ever seen Australia have something cheaper than the USA.

-Ash

Edited by Ashtefere
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
I so hard waiting until Tuesday for the so called official release, need info now...................

Edit

Brian did you actually sold your m17x-r3 already??? o.O :54_002::11_002:

Yup I sold it to Justin at XoticPC. Shipped it out today and I'm preparing the R2 and shipping it out tomorrow afternoon. I've got the money ready for the M18x. Here's the configuration link for UK: Find a Laptop, Desktop, Server, Printer, Software, Service or Monitor at Dell.

Edit: link is dead, that was fast.

Yep confirms what we knew all along - 330W for dual GPU. I'm beginning to think there's no IGP support. :(

Running IGP on M18x is equivalent to sacrilege. Seriously. :P

I'll pass on M18x, but I'll try to either exchange my broken M11x and/or pay extra for M14x which I'll most likely sell afterwards. I don't think it can even hold candle to M17x. :)

• Founder
Running IGP on M18x is equivalent to sacrilege. Seriously. :P

I'll pass on M18x, but I'll try to either exchange my broken M11x and/or pay extra for M14x which I'll most likely sell afterwards. I don't think it can even hold candle to M17x. :)

Well I want IGP because I do use the system untethered while in bed (I hate dragging a cord along with me). So being able to chill in bed and watch a few hours of TV and/or a movie would be nice. But since they aren't mentioning the IGP anywhere in the promotional media or config page, I think we're shit out of luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Exciting stuff. Cant wait for it to be released.

The most exciting of all should be the new 330W PSU. Everything else would mean nothing if it wasn't for that, now you have more headroom to push the laptop even further, too bad you won't have an R2 to try and see if it will recognize it... (or will you?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just configured my on the UK site! The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Alienware M18x 04/16/2011

Included in your system:

COLOUR CHOICE Alienware M18x Stealth Black edit

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2920XM (2.5GHz, 8MB, 4C) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit

GRAPHICS CARD Graphics : 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M edit

MEMORY 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048] edit

HARD DRIVE 320GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive edit

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 a/g/n 3x3 - Europe edit

BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Card - EUR edit

OPTICAL DRIVE Blu-Ray ROM Combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read and write) Drive edit

SECURITY SOFTWARE No Antivirus Software edit

SERVICES AND SUPPORT 1Yr Next Day Hardware Support included with your PC edit

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTION No Accidental Damage Support edit

LCD 18.4" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD edit

PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 12-cell 96W/HR LI-ION edit

Accessories

ALIENFX COLOUR Quasar Blue edit

WALLPAPER Alienware Glow Wallpaper edit

Also included with your system

Gedis Bundle Reference N04W1801

Order Information Alienware M18x Order - UK

Shipping Documents English Documentation

Dell System Media Kit Alienware Resource DVD

Power Supply 330W AC Adapter

Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard

Hidden NamePlate Engraving Generic Name Plate Engraving

Camera Integrated 3.0 Mega Pixel HD Camera

AutoMatic Updates AutoMatic updates - On

Standard Warranty 1 year Next Business Day Hardware Support included with your PC

TimeZone (GMT + 00.00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Priced as configured: UK£ 2,663.99 = $4,344.40 USD

Edited by rawhide85
Add text
  • Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind that in Europe, they pay like 50% more than we do.

Brian you are correct. Maybe I can afford to upgrade to SSD and SLI.

Edit: Due to limited funds, my train of thought is to upgrade to the 2920XM CPU first, and add an addition GPU (SLI) later. Just want to know what you all think?

Edited by rawhide85
Add text
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Brian you are correct. Maybe I can afford to upgrade to SSD and SLI.

Edit: Due to limited funds, my train of thought is to upgrade to the 2920XM CPU first, and add an addition GPU (SLI) later. Just want to know what you all think?

Bad idea, it's very difficult to get a hold of a spare GPU from Dell and the warranty is only for 30 days. You're better off getting a base CPU and SLi/Xfire now and then upgrading the CPU yourself from ebay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bad idea, it's very difficult to get a hold of a spare GPU from Dell and the warranty is only for 30 days. You're better off getting a base CPU and SLi/Xfire now and then upgrading the CPU yourself from ebay.

Brian +1. Thanks for the quick response. I will upgrade CPU, memory, SSD and Wifi card later. I will opt for the SLI (485) and 4yr warranty.

Edited by rawhide85
Add text
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Thanks for the quick response. I will upgrade CPU, memory, SSD and Wifi card later. I will opt for the SLI (485) and 4yr warranty.

I would suggest to get the Intel wifi card with your base config cause it will have 3 antennas installed, if you get the Dell one you will have to do the wiring yourself since it comes with 2 (at least that was the case with the R2).

• Thumbs Up 1

I would suggest to get the Intel wifi card with your base config cause it will have 3 antennas installed, if you get the Dell one you will have to do the wiring yourself since it comes with 2 (at least that was the case with the R2).

Thanks for the tip. +1

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

I noticed that if you configure with SLI/CF the power adapter stays 240w unless you go for 2920xm. that sucks for a lot of reasons and I hope that it's just a configurator error.