Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

understood, definitely do ndeed respect that perspective for shure!~ :P simply working from more of a black and white based view (either it's something truly portable or would just go build a tethered desktop) when weighing all these pro/con factors for the system purchase decision - but that's just personal usage/need/preference here... ;)

Black and white? What's that?

:P

Black and white? What's that?

:P

night and day, lol :P speaking of which - if only all this power could only be squeezed into the form factor/battery life of an ipad, rofl!!!~ :P j/k :rolleyes: could. not. resist. :cool:

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
night and day, lol :P speaking of which - if only all this power could only be squeezed into the form factor/battery life of an ipad, rofl!!!~ :P j/k :rolleyes: could. not. resist. :cool:

That tech exists somewhere in a government and/or Intel lab.

• Thumbs Up 1

night and day, lol :P
Thankfully the world is more colorful that that. post-88-14494987810389_thumb.gif
speaking of which - if only all this power could only be squeezed into the form factor/battery life of an ipad, rofl!!!~ :P j/k :rolleyes: could. not. resist. :cool:
I have no doubt! Just a matter of cost. Just a few million to play the latest PC games on the go. heh.gif

Thankfully the world is more colorful that that. [ATTACH=CONFIG]523[/ATTACH]

;)

I have no doubt! Just a matter of cost. Just a few million to play the latest PC games on the go. heh.gif

...we need tony stark to share this tech - perhaps it'll be some future revision 'avenger'!~ lol :P

Edited by vikingrinn

Isn't Avenger the coolest fucking codename for a notebook?

it is :D

with currently existing order delays, if we could get some finalized M18x launch specs (most esp. dimensions & weight to see what the difference actually is, as opposed to keep guestimating) to base some final decisions on... :P

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

it is :D

with currently existing order delays, if we could get some finalized M18x launch specs (most esp. dimensions & weight to see what the difference actually is, as opposed to keep guestimating) to base some final decisions on... :P

Start Weight: 5.41 kg (11.93 lb)

Height:

Front: 53.00 mm (2.09 inches)

Rear: 54.20 mm (2.13 inches)

Thickness: 322.00 mm (12.68 inches)

Width: 436.00 mm (17.17 inches)

• Thumbs Up 3

Alienware M18x

+1 michael, tu - was just reading the same at the china page... :D

@extra inch all the way around from the M17x R3 (below) and 2.5+ xtra pounds, hmmm...

Height (rear): 1.77" - (45mm)

Height (front): 1.75" - (44.5mm)

Depth: 11.96" - (304mm)

Width: 16.14" - (410mm)

Start Weight - 9.39lbs (4.26kg)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
That'll be the computer name in windows :)

MY R2 was optimus.. avenger sounds better though!

My M18x nameplate is gonna be T|I Avenger.

Dimensions are:

1.5 mm thicker than the M17x R2

30mm wider than the m17x R2 (edited: 30, not 20)

Same Depth

100 grams heavier... 100 grams!

Thats pretty fucking impressive. I'm sold.

-Ash

Edited by Ashtefere

• Founder
Dimensions are:

1.5 mm thicker than the M17x R2

30mm wider than the m17x R2 (edited: 30, not 20)

Same Depth

100 grams heavier... 100 grams!

Thats pretty fucking impressive. I'm sold.

-Ash

it means that it's not gonna fit in my slappa spider bag. the r2 was barely fitting there.

I see talk of things like concerns about battery life in the m18x. I can't imagine a situation where I'd bother using it not plugged in unless I was desperate or forced. It is a desktop replacement after all.

Say your PSU dies...

:34_002:

• Thumbs Up 1

Although I will not be picking up an m18x, I'm quite excited (due to being a tech nerd) by all this news!

When placing my r3 re-order last night, I spoke with my rep re; Avenger

HE said (and we all know reliability factor) the 18x will not feature a new PSU, but I find that incredibly difficult to believe.

The underside of Avenger is so sexy!

As soon as I saw that image, all I could think of is how comparatively low-end the 17x-r3 seems to be

Sure thing but then, you want your battery to give you the most it can, and I would take 8 hours much more than 1 hour and a half...

Still boned and not a great argument for wanting more battery life. Not with a desktop replacement that's a heavy duty gaming rig. You'd go with a different computer if you were really looking for something that gave you ideal battery life.

Also, really worried about PSU death? Buy a second one as a backup. winkgun.gif

Still boned and not a great argument for wanting more battery life. Not with a desktop replacement that's a heavy duty gaming rig. You'd go with a different computer if you were really looking for something that gave you ideal battery life.

Also, really worried about PSU death? Buy a second one as a backup. winkgun.gif

Ya, well I thought you would understand I was just kidding... But maybe I sounded too serious; let me rephrase: If my PSU would die, I would much prefer if my battery would then allow me to use my lappy for 8 hours than only 1 hour and a half, especially because I would then need my computer to send an email to Dell Tech Support to get a replacement... ...And as I do not type too fast, I need more than only 1 hour and a half to compose the email...

As for the second PSU, you are so right: wondering on this matter why Dell/Alienware do not offer, like some others do, when you initially buy your rig, to get a second PSU at half the price... Thing is that those bricks cost a freakin lot, we're talking $150 ~ $200, not exactly peanuts mind you, and on top, having two of them is much useful for at least three reasons:

1. If one dies, you have the other;

2. If you use your lappy in 2 different places in your house, you can leave each PSU at the right place, so you don't have to mess around to move it;

3. If you travel with your beast, you can still leave a PSU in your house, at the exact place where you use it the most, so no mess around neither...

As a matter of fact, I do indeed have two PSU here; one delta and one flextronic. But I only use one at a time, and I appreciate both of them as I got one sitting (and waiting) at my desk, and I mess/move the other one around, because it likes it !

Cheers !

:42_002:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Although I will not be picking up an m18x, I'm quite excited (due to being a tech nerd) by all this news!

When placing my r3 re-order last night, I spoke with my rep re; Avenger

HE said (and we all know reliability factor) the 18x will not feature a new PSU, but I find that incredibly difficult to believe.

The underside of Avenger is so sexy!

As soon as I saw that image, all I could think of is how comparatively low-end the 17x-r3 seems to be

Yeah I don't think a 240W PSU would cut it for an 18.4" display and dual 6970M. The 6970M at peak load can pull close to 100W so you're looking at 200W with just the graphics cards alone. Unless they severely underclock/undervolt the 6970Ms for the M18x, I don't see this as a possibility, especially given the fact that Dell is advertising 4 GHz overclocks on an extreme processor. I think we'll have a 330W PSU to go with a high end configuration.

As for the battery life argument, a DTR this size of course will be tethered most of the time but there are plenty of occasions where battery life is important. For example if you're on a commuter train, airplane, car ride or if you're crazy enough to take it to class (when I started medical school, I used to take my M1710 to classes regularly) and don't have an outlet near by. I'd definitely appreciate IGP support but I'll still get the system even if it doesn't have it.

• Thumbs Up 1

if you're crazy enough to take it to class (when I started medical school, I used to take my M1710 to classes regularly) and don't have an outlet near by. I'd definitely appreciate IGP support but I'll still get the system even if it doesn't have it.

(lol, on occasion... :P) this. +1

still holding out changing anything with current (delayed) orders until finding out if the unit has access to igp or not. that could prove to be one of the primary lynchpins (here) for the unit aside from weight/dimensions, which may affect overall day to day portability. also, anyone catch (while it was up) if the system is configurable with single (i know, i know - no :facepalm: or :rolleye:, have reasons here :P) gpu as well? ;)

Edited by vikingrinn