Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

Holy fucking bouncing ballsacks...

Thats an impressive looking machine.

Check out the cooling system underneath!

Yeah ok, I'm getting excited too. Fuck.

-Ash

EDIT:

This thing has four fucking display outputs!!! HOLY SHIT!

• Thumbs Up 1

That M18x blows away my expectations. I didn't expect it to be fully aluminum, props to Dell for that! The macro keys look quite interesting but I hope they don't get in the way of typing (by throwing keyboard alignment off). They claim the 18.4" is the best display of any Alienware, I'm assuming that's the R3 they are referring to so I hope it's brighter with a better color gamut. Fuck I'm excited and am ready to order as soon as my R3 sells!

I don't know Brian, when I talked to Dell rep he informed that the screen is not 3D, I got no problems with that, but it also means the screen is running at 60hz instead of the 120 as the 3d screen form the m17x-r3.

• Founder
I don't know Brian, when I talked to Dell rep he informed that the screen is not 3D, I got no problems with that, but it also means the screen is running at 60hz instead of the 120 as the 3d screen form the m17x-r3.

Yes the screen will not support 120hz or 3D but I don't care. The 120hz R3 only supports Geforce 460M at the moment which is weak. Plus I don't really care for 3d on a tiny notebook screen. Even on 46" HDTV's it looks stupid/gimmicky to me.

You probably right, I have to say I would lie to get one, but without been able to see configuration I cant afford to cancel my order. Hoping that AW sees the light and they fully release it before is to late for me.

• Founder
decisions, decisions... any details on the dimensions or weight on this thing yet? ;P

Not yet but I'd guess around 11 lbs starting based on the look of it. It looks nearly the same thickness as R2.

Not yet but I'd guess around 11 lbs starting based on the look of it. It looks nearly the same thickness as R2.

hmmm... my only concern is the M17x R3 dimensions seem to be just on the edge of reasonably balanced power/portability for everyone, and fits (maximum) most accessory (bags/cases/stands/etc.) items out there after doing some comparison measurements while out shopping today... how's the availability for things on the M17x R2 size, for comparisons sake?

i guess it's (decision) going to all boil down to usage - the aluminum is nice touch ndeed, but soft touch isn't too shabby either. the only other major factor (here) is the dual gpu vs. single gpu, and if that's not really going to be used (here) all that much, everything else seems to be pushing the system past daily portability. it truly looks to be a desktop replacement vs. a notebook in that regards. idk, torn here... :confused:

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
hmmm... my only concern is the M17x R3 dimensions seem to be just on the edge of reasonably balanced power/portability for everyone, and fits most (maximum) accessory (bags/cases/stands) out there after doing some comparison measurements while out shopping today... how's the availability for things on the M17x R2 size, for comparisons sake?

i guess it's (decision) going to all boil down to usage - the aluminum is nice touch ndeed, but soft touch isn't too shabby either. the only other major factor (here) is the dual gpu vs. single gpu, and if that's not really going to be used (here) all that much, everything else seems to be pushing the system past daily portability. it truly looks to be a desktop replacement vs. a notebook in that regards. idk, torn here... :confused:

I just realized that I saw NO mention of battery life in the promotional photos which is worrying. I'm guessing it will have the same limitation that R2 did with multi GPU chipset not supporting IGP. If that is the case, battery life will be an abysmal 1:30 mins like R2. I think for ultimate portability, R3 is the way to go. If you want a gaming monster that is a true DTR the M18x delivers. They really target two different markets and right now I'm just praying M18x has IGP support.

must......not.......pay......off........credit..........card...........and........use...........same..........credit..........card.....to........buy.....................ARGH THE PAIN!!

God the computer industry is evil with all this new tech, but not as evil as credit cards :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realized that I saw NO mention of battery life in the promotional photos which is worrying. I'm guessing it will have the same limitation that R2 did with multi GPU chipset not supporting IGP. If that is the case, battery life will be an abysmal 1:30 mins like R2. I think for ultimate portability, R3 is the way to go. If you want a gaming monster that is a true DTR the M18x delivers. They really target two different markets and right now I'm just praying M18x has IGP support.

isn't it the same motherboard as the M17x R3, only with dual gpu's? that is unless they're shifting, and going to hold off until E3 and release with mobile Z68?

• Founder
isn't it the same motherboard as the M17x R3, only with dual gpu's? that is unless they're shifting, and going to hold off until E3 and release with mobile Z68?

That's what remains to be seen.

The "same motherboard" comment was by me based off the placeholder image on the CDN site. This was obviously a wrong image, as we know now. Seeing the bottom vents proves its a totally different motherboard layout and 32gb option means it has 4dimms :D.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

I see talk of things like concerns about battery life in the m18x. I can't imagine a situation where I'd bother using it not plugged in unless I was desperate or forced. It is a desktop replacement after all.

• Founder
I see talk of things like concerns about battery life in the m18x. I can't imagine a situation where I'd bother using it not plugged in unless I was desperate or forced. It is a desktop replacement after all.

99% of my use would be near an outlet as well but that 1% I sometimes travel on a flight somewhere, it would come in handy.

The "same motherboard" comment was by me based off the placeholder image on the CDN site. This was obviously a wrong image, as we know now. Seeing the bottom vents proves its a totally different motherboard layout and 32gb option means it has 4dimms :D.

-Ash

...4 dimms on M17x R3 as well, right?

• Founder
...4 dimms on M17x R3 as well, right?

That's right, 2 below and 2 under the keyboard. Not sure if the R3 can take 32 GB, maybe it can.

• Founder
Says so in the pics! :D

I mean the M17x-R3, not M18x. I forget now what the max capacity is for R3.

Here we go:

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (2DIMMS)

6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz (2DIMMS)

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4DIMMS)

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4DIMMS)

So it seems the M18x can handle 2x the memory capacity that M17x-R3 can. Well at least officially, the R3 probably can still address 32 GB if you stick it in there.

99% of my use would be near an outlet as well but that 1% I sometimes travel on a flight somewhere, it would come in handy.

the key usage for any notebook purchase here is something powerful yet portable, not either or... cake and eat it too!~ lol :P

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
the key usage for any notebook purchase here is something powerful yet portable, not either or... cake and eat it too!~ lol :P

I'd love to have my cake and eat it too but sometimes Intel fucks us over and limits us like they did with PM55.

Well at least officially, the R3 probably can still address 32 GB if you stick it in there.

that would be nice, and perhaps the real question here if the system is ndeed to be launched this month. if so, the same motherboard in a different case (accomodating dual gpu's as opposed to single) is still a possibility. this would mean all of the portability of the M15x R2 sized M17x R3, with all the options (officially or not) of the M18x sans dual gpu's. hmmm...

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

Well it's not the same motherboard for sure since that is impossible considering the features and layout. The M18x mainboard is built for dual GPU and officially supports HDMI 1.4 + 32 GB memory. The chipset MIGHT be the same but we really don't know yet. Although if I remember correctly, HM55 is not listed as a dual GPU chipset.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless one is buying a desktop replacement. Then the expectations of portability need to be moved down a few notches. ;)

Unless one is buying a desktop replacement. Then the expectations of portability need to be moved down a few notches. ;)

understood, definitely do ndeed respect that perspective for shure!~ :D simply working from more of a black and white based view (either it's something truly portable or would just go build a tethered desktop) when weighing all these pro/con factors for the system purchase decision - but that's just personal usage/need/preference here... ;)

Edited by vikingrinn
  • Thumbs Up 1