Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

• Founder
More M18x rumors: Google Translate

Key points:

• M18x will have a limited PSU (probably 240W)

Dell's bs + downgrade

• M18x will support 6970M XF

upgrade (but as always too late in the game)

• M18x will not support 2920xm due to increased TDP requirements which add to their R&D cost. You can add it in yourself but they advise against it since their labs haven't validated it.

downgrade+ Dell's bs (put a bigger power supply)

• IPS/OLED: Cost is too high, they eat too much power

Dell's bs (put a bigger power supply and give customers the option)

• RGB LED: Not too clear but he said they can't see the difference in color between WLED and RGB LED. They also claim RGB LED damages your eyes (LOL).

totally Dell's bs

• Starting price will be $500 higher than it was for M17x-R2

downgrade

The only reason I could see someone buying it is the 6970s and possibly a very good battery life with the IGP... other than that I don't see why not pass

The mention of oled makes me think this is a troll/fake.

I highly doubt dell would not give the option for 2920xm for their flagship - this seems totally ridiculous.

I also saw no mention of the 485m either.

As a matter of curiousity - what is the projected tdp for 485m + 2920xm? Is a 240w PSU enough for that?

-Ash

I highly doubt dell would not give the option for 2920xm for their flagship - this seems totally ridiculous.

Agreed. It would be a first (as far as I know) for their biggest and best portable rig to not include everything top of the line.

• Founder

I also saw no mention of the 485m either.

As a matter of curiousity - what is the projected tdp for 485m + 2920xm? Is a 240w PSU enough for that?

-Ash

Agreed. It would be a first (as far as I know) for their biggest and best portable rig to not include everything top of the line.

I think there may be some truth to it. If Dell did really switch back to 240W (like Eric G mentioned) then this guy might be telling the truth that there will not be a 2920xm offered. They MIGHT allow it with a single GPU (e.g. 6970M) but definitely not with 6970M Xfire. In fact, I don't understand how they plan to pull off 6970M Xfire with just 240W powering the system. I guess that's why they switched to WLED to save on a few watts here and there. The 485M pulls around 170W when combined with a 2920xm (idle usage is lower than 6970M). So a 240W supply should suffice for that but definitely not for a dual card setup.

I'm thinking that with the little bit of extra space in the 18 inch screen model they can fit two graphics cards with proper cooling as well as all the other guts we are accustomed to from these beasts. It will mean more power draw for sure and it's not that difficult to supply that power. It's a desktop replacement so battery life really shouldn't be a big deal.

EDIT: I should admit that I'm hopeful as hell and a bit biased right now. I'm getting a full refund for the machine in my sig and that money will be going directly towards an M18x. If it releases in late April that should be perfect timing with the 21 days it will take to get the funds back. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

More M18x rumors: Google Translate

Key points:

• M18x will have a limited PSU (probably 240W)
  • M18x will support 6970M XF
  • M18x will not support 2920xm due to increased TDP requirements which add to their R&D cost. You can add it in yourself but they advise against it since their labs haven't validated it.
  • IPS/OLED: Cost is too high, they eat too much power
  • RGB LED: Not too clear but he said they can't see the difference in color between WLED and RGB LED. They also claim RGB LED damages your eyes (LOL).
  • Starting price will be $500 higher than it was for M17x-R2

T_T...seems like Alienware is committed themselves to more budget machines/skimping out on stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

T_T...seems like Alienware is committed themselves to more budget machines/skimping out on stuff.

As mentioned before, nothing in that article is remotely confirmed. I wouldn't worry too much until the machines are actually released and we can see what the options are.

Rumors (supposedly from a Dell's Engineer) about the M18X say:

We've had no problem with a CrossFire of HD6970M, as a matter of fact, we also tested the M18x with a SLI of 460M, and a CrossFire of HD5870M. The perfect product doesn't exist, so we have to make choices about configurations. Basically, if we put a high-end config of video cards, we won't be able to peer them with an extreme CPU because of the TDP.

With 2 HD6970M in XF, we successfully tested the CPUs from 2630 to 2820; however, any higher CPU leads to too much TDP; it sucks 10 watts more minimum... So all in all, either we go with an higher power supply, with all the tweakings that need to be done to get a stable product, either we just discard the extreme CPU version.

A lot of feedback shows people are looking to get an RGB display. We actually consider the human eye cannot make a distinction between RGB and WhiteLED, and also, the cost of the RGB would be too high. Therefore, we are not looking at offering the RGB flavor on the M18X.

We cannot go with OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diplay) neither because the price is *WAY* too high; we got in touch with Samsung but there's too many obstacles right now with this solution. The technology is just not ready yet for such a big OLED display; an OLED 18.4 display would cost as much as an M17X alone...

We could also go with IPS, however, power consumption would be too high again; 300 to 350 watts with an 2920 and a XF of HD6970M would not fit the market.

Starting price should be around 1999$ and 2499$, basically, ±500$ more than the M17X-R3. The M18X should hit the streets on or around april 20th.

Stay tuned ! Actually, just realized all this is old news; sorry about that !!!

translated by me from here.

Edited by eYe-I-aïe...
  • Thumbs Up 2

A lot of feedback shows people are looking to get an RGB display. We actually consider the human eye cannot make a distinction between RGB and WhiteLED, and also, the cost of the RGB would be too high. Therefore, we are not looking at offering the RGB flavor on the M18X.

I guess then everyone here and everyone who made a feedback must be an Alien or medically blind. If one cannot see the difference between these two displays, one should definitely go see an eye doctor.

Damaged eyes from what? Looking at a good screen? ROFL

They are making a big mistake to not use a larger powersupply and 10watts is what is stopping the use 2920XM is truly falling short of expectations. 10 watts they should laugh at 10 watts, the R2 can handle the increased TDP throttle stop can throw at it, but not on a larger more ventelated system. Come on Dell get with the program.

• Founder

Yeah this 240W limit they placed on the system to save money on ordering a custom PSU is ridiculous. It could also be that they didn't want to create a gigantic (bigger than the 240W behemoth) PSU because people would scoff at it's size and reviewers would give a negative impression and thus impact their sales/bottom line. I'm sure they saw the X7200 disaster (with SLi PSU's) and wanted to avoid that PR mistake.

Me I'd look at SLI PSU units as a sign to me that I'd have more power than the New York City grid to play with. Or enough to make the video cards volt regulators explode. Actually though what happened with X7200 was there a problem. Is that a Sager model? I know they had one that offers desktop processors and sli 485M or crossfire 6970M!

Edited by mw86

• Founder

That M18x blows away my expectations. I didn't expect it to be fully aluminum, props to Dell for that! The macro keys look quite interesting but I hope they don't get in the way of typing (by throwing keyboard alignment off). They claim the 18.4" is the best display of any Alienware, I'm assuming that's the R3 they are referring to so I hope it's brighter with a better color gamut. Fuck I'm excited and am ready to order as soon as my R3 sells!

• Thumbs Up 1