Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

• Founder
and 'speculation' as to whether or not the subsequent thread on the M14x would survive over at nbr was just 'officially' validated - thread closed.

i take it as a clear indication that sometimes speculative conversation based on historical evidence and tangible facts proves to be reasonable and rationale afterall... ;)

with that said, it seems anyone with continued interest in 'speculating' about the M14x are free to do so here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/196-alienware-m14x.html

Amazing, they closed a thread with EVIDENCE supporting the M14x release? Well guys, now you know why Tech|Inferno exists and I'd encourage all that want to seek a place for OPEN discussion to come on over. On another note, see the notice above, we are looking for some new talent to help spur the growth of our website. :)

-Brian

• Founder
I agree with that, wonder why carbon fiber hasn't been expanded more into the laptop realm?

Most likely because of cost issues.

I'm glad there's now an option to the insanity over "there", it's sad when good standing forum members post on subjects with pretty substantial evidence to the proof of that topic and it gets closed. I really have to wonder if Dell or Alienware have started to make threats reguarding advertising or something to that effect as I see no reason why they would close so many threads, it all started getting even worse about the time that the R3 info leaked and Dell started to make public threats. No matter what happens over there it's nice to have a place to have discussions on what the future of performance notebooks hold so thanks Brian and the other founders ;)

As far as the carbon fiber goes it's very possible, the only concern I could see is if it has a rubber coating making a mold to make the case with could remove and ruin the original rubber coating. I looked into making the case for the R2 and that wouldn't be too difficult, there's a company that sells the molding equipment, fiber sheets, resin, etc and the cost to make a full external case would be approximately $150-200 for an R2 so I'd imagine it would be about the same for an M18x and cheaper for the other models.

• Founder

That's really interesting, carbon fiber tool kit? I wonder why nobody so far hasn't done anything like that... they use carbon fiber in too many situations, I don't see why not here, and as I said it would be a special edition which means extra cost and not for mass production... so it would target only those who can afford it. (I am also surprised that Apple hasn't done anything like that either...)

Hey guys!

Not sure if someone mentioned this but there was another leak somewhere (I'll look for the link) stating that the M18X will have a switchable graphics with a 15hrs of battery life. Now that would be some nice addition to the specs.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey guys!

Not sure if someone mentioned this but there was another leak somewhere (I'll look for the link) stating that the M18X will have a switchable graphics with a 15hrs of battery life. Now that would be some nice addition to the specs.

If thats true that could make the M18 a top desktop replacement that actually functions like a laptop not a lead weight with a 30 min battery life.

Here you go:

Dell Alienware M18x Specifications and features

* LCD: 18.4″ HD Display

* Quad Core Sandy Bridge

* 1920x1080p Resolution

* WLED technology

* TrueLife glossy panel

* Dual GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6870M (in CrossFireX) or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460m)

* Battery: 12Cell, capable of delivering up to 15 hours of battery life

* 3D-capable

* Customizable

* USB 3.0,HDMI Supported

Guest Dimitry P.

people are getting 5hrs with R3, right? What battery does it have? 6-8-cells? If the graphics are switchable to the IGP as in the R3, 8-10hrs shouldn't be a too difficult to achieve, IMHO.

• Founder

The only way we'll see more than 2 hours of battery on the M18x is if the HM67 chipset has switchable integrated gfx. Has anyone checked on this?

Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI)Ψ3 An innovative path for two independently controlled channels of integrated graphics display data to be transported to the mobile Intel® 6 Series Chipset.

That's the only hint I've found in the HM67 specs.

That's really interesting, carbon fiber tool kit? I wonder why nobody so far hasn't done anything like that... they use carbon fiber in too many situations, I don't see why not here, and as I said it would be a special edition which means extra cost and not for mass production... so it would target only those who can afford it. (I am also surprised that Apple hasn't done anything like that either...)

From what I remember carbon fiber doesn't dissipate heat well.

I just hope they go back to the R2 aluminium and some some cheap feeling "soft feel". I want my laptop to feel Hard, and strong. (keep perverse comments away)

I'm glad there's now an option to the insanity over "there", it's sad when good standing forum members post on subjects with pretty substantial evidence to the proof of that topic and it gets closed. I really have to wonder if Dell or Alienware have started to make threats reguarding advertising or something to that effect as I see no reason why they would close so many threads, it all started getting even worse about the time that the R3 info leaked and Dell started to make public threats. No matter what happens over there it's nice to have a place to have discussions on what the future of performance notebooks hold so thanks Brian and the other founders ;)

Alternatives are always good as is healthy competition. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

aleluia a thread that's not going to be closed just because there's no facts. Even the m14x thread was closed and they got a picture what the heck is going on that forum

• Founder

Yo yo Aikimox!

Glad to see you posting here ;)

Like i told you before, i still think it's a typo, and it's 1.5 hours.

aleluia a thread that's not going to be closed just because there's no facts. Even the m14x thread was closed and they got a picture what the heck is going on that forum

Welcome!

we won't close any such threads over here ;)

aha! So this is where all the action is...It sucks how they closed the M18x (and the M14x) thread. It seems as if NBR is being over-moderated/over-regulated as of late to the point where people are even scared to post stuff.

As to the specs of the M18x, looks to be what is expected. Of course, not a big fan of 16:9 (though I didn't mind the screen on the Asus W90) and I hope that they give more headroom for the extreme CPUs. If the 15 hr battery life thing holds true, then that'll be huge. It's possible too if you think about it: since the M18x will be huge, there'll be enough space for a large battery. And if the M18x supports the integrated GPU in the intel chips with switchable graphics, then it starts to make sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys!

hey there aikimox - great to see you and all the others! :D

15hrs would be some freakin' feat! :67:

Ok, so I've just checked the R3 manual, it has a 9-cell battery. So in the best case scenario we're looking at 6.5-8hrs, still, a very decent bonus for a gaming rig.

half that on the M18x and i'd still be gobsmacked! :eek:

Alternatives are always good as is healthy competition. :)
aha! So this is where all the action is...It sucks how they closed the M18x (and the M14x) thread. It seems as if NBR is being over-moderated/over-regulated as of late to the point where people are even scared to post stuff.

most def. agree... ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

Dual 460m is pretty bad... I would expect with all the extra space they will get (they love using gigantic bezels around the scree) then they could squeeze in the extra cooling and circuitry for dual 485 or at least 470m's.

The entire 6xx0 architecture has been a disappointment to me. It really seems like a step backwards, using less SP's and higher clockspeeds - sounds like an nvidia renaming to me.

The thing that pisses me off most though is the continued denial by both camps about microstutter. I can see it in every game I play and it really makes me angry.

Yet, the fix is really really easy - they need to simply add in frame window delay to the vsync function.

Its reeeeaaaaally simple. 100ms divide by 60 frames = 16.6ms per frame: keep frame in frame buffer until 16.6ms interval, then release. OH MY GOD EVERY FRAME IS RENDERING PERFECTLY IN SYNC! ITS AMAZING! NO MORE MICROSTUTTER!

Gah.

-Ash

• Founder

Ash, I honestly don't notice microstutter. That doesn't mean I don't have it, it's just not noticeable to me. What about triple buffering?