m18x graphics hardware

raymosrunerx

Hello everyone, it's been a very very long time since I perused this forum.

I plan on getting an m18x, but with my budget, I can either get the 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M (one card) or Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - SLI® Enabled (two cards).

I have several questions:

1.) Is there a performance difference? Will the SLI cards perform better than the 680M or will the operate about the same?

2.) If I go with the 680M option, is there a place where I can buy another 680M down the road if I ever need to upgrade? Will it have SLI enabled when I stick it in, or do I need some additional cable?

3.) I read in one of TI's posts that the AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M performs about the same as the 680M, but there is a lack of PhysX and good driver support. However, getting two of those cards in CrossfireX will only get me one 680M card. If you had to pick between the GeForce 675M SLI option, Radeon 7970M CrossfireX option, and the single 680M card, which would you pick?

If it's really easy to do, I would rather get the 680M card and upgrade later by adding in a new card. However, I don't know how one would obtain it, nor do I know if there are any other steps involved in doing it

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Raymosrunerx

Yes, you can get another 680m down the road from Dell. You would need the 680m card itself, the SLI cable, the backplate and the heat sink. But I must warn you ahead of time, the parts aren't cheap. I have a M18x R1 and have been planning to upgrade for the longest time. The price of the parts turned me off. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I vote either sli now or the best single card you can get without thinking about a second one later. just because if you wait to do sli sometime down the road then the longer you wait the better the graphics cards will get and you probably wont want to spend so much money on another old card to pair up instead of just getting a single new one.