X7200 vs M18x which one would you choose?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. X7200 vs M18x which one would you choose?

• M18x
    • X7200

How would the ASUS G73JW-ROG by xoticpc compare with these two. The reason I am asking is I have a Dell XPS M1730 and I was thinking that it was time to upgrade to a newer laptop. Although, I can't decide between the Sager (high performance but ugly design), Asus (good performance and nice design), or m17x/m18x (also good performance and nice design).

Being a Dell owner i've had numerous problems with my XPS M1730 and with Dell Technical support (they actually downgraded my GPU from a Nvidia 9800m GTX SLI to Nvidia 8700 GT SLI when I sent it in for repairs), so it understandable that i'm a bit skeptical of alienware laptops since they are made by Dell.

• Founder

Alienware has it's own specialized tech support within Dell but like any other large corporation, there are inevitably issues. However, IMO, the best tech support in the industry is by Dell. If they can't repair your system properly, they tend to issue a brand new upgraded model from the factory. You may have been able to make that case when they screwed up and moved up to an Alienware for free. As for what to pick between Clevo/Asus/AW, IMO it's no contest, Alienware stands head and shoulders above them.

AW has: better build quality (M18x is aluminum + soft touch rubber palm rest), better design, more features. You can also bargain with Dell for lower prices when making a purchase.

• Founder

Brian, what about the screen and the overclockability? I believe that clevo has a better screen (unless the bigger screen size of the M18x is a key point), better cooling and the 485M has more headroom for overclocking than the 6970M, as well as the CPU, even though it is a previous architecture it can clock very high, plus two PSUs for someone who doesn't care that much about portability is a big advantage IMO.

Overall the Alienware wins but you have to consider what factors count most to you. My vote went to M18x anyways.

• Founder

True good points about the screen since X7200 offers a 95% gamut one. We don't know yet what gamut or brightness the M18x display will be. However, as far as overclocking of the 485M vs 6970M, I don't think there is much of a delta. The 6970M, despite having no voltage control (just like the 485M) can OC 100 mhz beyond stock clocks which is more than enough. The memory for the 6970M also overclocks very high (1200 mhz+). As for CPU overclocking, I think the X7200 with dual 485Ms of course achieves higher performance but at the cost of dual PSUs and it just becomes unwieldly--better off having a desktop at that point. Furthermore, the M18x has IGP support and can run on 3-4 hours of battery unlike the 30 mins of battery life a Clevo X7200 has or 1-2 hours of life an Asus does. Remember, Alienware is the only manufacturer of high performance notebooks that has IGP support.

As much as I had to admit it, looks like I can't escape Dell, the m18x does seem better. Before the m18x was released I probably would have gone with the X7200 over the m17x.

I have a few questions about the m18x. What would be better the 32GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4DIMMS) or the 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS). Would the memory or speed make more of a difference for the RAM. Also, the Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M or the Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M.

p.s. I didn't even know that they made 8GB sticks of RAM. I thought that 4GB sticks were the max.

p.p.s. In general who is better Nvidia or AMD.

Edited by Black_Hornet

Nvidia/ATI(AMD) is a long running argument with no answer. EDIT: In general terms, as competitors. However, in terms of the the M18X ATI are winning by miles.

As for spec - definitely get the dual 6970M's. Neither of the ram upgrades are worth it. If you don't KNOW you need that much ram, then you don't. If you're comfortable adding ram yourself, buy the cheapest option. If not, look at ~8gb. Speed is not crucial, but if you can afford it may as well get the 1600mhz.

Edited by Jimbo
clarification

• Founder

I agree with Jimbo although the difference between 460M SLi and 6970M Xfire is clear cut. The 6970M's will run circles around the 460M SLi. Since M18x doesn't offer 485M, your choice becomes quite limited and obvious. As for the ram, like Jimbo said, if you don't know what you'd need 16 GB for, stick to less and grab 1600 mhz.

• 1 month later...
In terms of performance the X7200 still beats the M18x but it would take 2 PSUs in parallel and a desktop CPU (poor battery life), plus the design needs improvements... so overall I prefer the M18x

Actually, 2 PSUs aren't needed unless you will be running Prime95+Furmark. It's the CPU in Prime95 that hits ridiculous power consumption values. For all work/gaming you never need more than 1 PSU. Plus, the NP7282 got a mobo revision and now has a better thermal management.

As for the X7200 vs M18x, it's a very interesting subject. I personally choose the M18x for the following: battery life, design, connectivity options including the 54mm expresscard, HDMI IN/OUT, WirelessHD, AlienFX, better KB, awesome trackpad, very low noise level given the internals. The X7200 has its own advantages: top performance, top cooling system, easily upgradeable screens (high gamut, matte, 3D), 3 HDDs, optional internal TVTuner.

@Aikimox Hi, didn't realise you were over here too. :D

My understanding was that 2 psu's were also needed if you were heavily overclocking a 990x + 485's for benching. If that's not right, then I retract anything snide I've said about the PSU situation, running Prime and furmark simultaneously is asking a hell of a lot from any system.:67:

All very good valid points really are but if it was up to me i would own both lol it's great for people who want the ultimate photoshop/graphic designers the hardcore ones too who don't have the room for it lol. But yeah the M18x owns the X7200 horrible designs they have, but always great cooling and extreme more opening for different graphic cards. Aikimox how are you doing, What's new?

• 2 weeks later...
All very good valid points really are but if it was up to me i would own both lol it's great for people who want the ultimate photoshop/graphic designers the hardcore ones too who don't have the room for it lol. But yeah the M18x owns the X7200 horrible designs they have, but always great cooling and extreme more opening for different graphic cards. Aikimox how are you doing, What's new?

Hey Bro! If you are deciding between the M18x and M6600, go for the AW ;) you won't regret it. After removing the glass cover the screen is anti glare and quite a decent quality I must say. The M6600 is a solid machine but you will miss the sheer power, sound system and adamantite feel of the M18x.

Does anybody know what clocks an X7200 with a 990X can maintain on prime95?

Actually, if you undervolt it you can stay under 70c during Prime95 and 3.6 on all cores. Benches scores will be negligibly lower.

• Founder

Actually, if you undervolt it you can stay under 70c during Prime95 and 3.6 on all cores. Benches scores will be negligibly lower.

Impressive... considering that it is a desktop CPU... for comparison reasons my i7-940XM drops all the way to 2.8GHz and with temps much higher than that. Now I need to check with the i7-2920XM of the M18x

• Thumbs Up 1

Its a tough tough one for me as I have followed both since they were just concepts. There are a few things that point me to each other.

x7200 pros:

• More functions; it has more controls on the laptop and its designed in a better fasion then the silly looking media control center that alienware tact on the right side of there m18x, it looks good but when compaing the two Its just something I notice.
  • I love the way it looks on the inside, with all those massive cooling copper heatsinks, there is really no other laptop besides the clevo D9t that comes close.
  • It really is the most powerfull laptop in the world
  • to some, its not owned by dellienware
  • design is business oriented so its ok to use in the office, its fairly sleek

M18x pros:

• nicely designed even though Im getting sick to death of the car thing like way way sick. I hope they can turn towards sci fi for the comming models, its what alienware is about anyway. Round those edges like a space ship and put on some expensive looking clear material with aluminum edges and palm rests and lcd housing etc..
  • very clean inside, everything is ment to be where its suppose to go and it all fits together perfect.
  • hdmi-in standard
  • better battery life, has switchable graphics
  • backlit keyboard
  • cutting edge, just released, and revisions to always look forward to with updates
  • it helps out the mobile business by bringing fans and income into the deeply hated laptop industry :)
  • endorsed by many game companys
  • built like a tank; this machine will outlast an x7200 simply put especially with a dell warranty attached

Just naming a few pros for each, I come to the conclusion that If I had enough money I wouldn't be able to buy either cause its just to hard of a choice. I would instead get a sony vaio SA brown signature edition series that has ambient light sensors, buttons for switching graphics on the machine and slice battery that gives it a full days use on a night out on the town or a sunny gloomy morning.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
Impressive... considering that it is a desktop CPU... for comparison reasons my i7-940XM drops all the way to 2.8GHz and with temps much higher than that. Now I need to check with the i7-2920XM of the M18x

If you undervolt too Stam you can see higher than the 2.8ghz

• 5 months later...

Kicking up an old thread, but I would take the X7200 if given the choice, simply for the desktop CPU and 3 HDDs, with the ability to add a fourth HDD with an optical drive conversion. Always wanted an X7200 too.

Kicking up an old thread, but I would take the X7200 if given the choice, simply for the desktop CPU and 3 HDDs, with the ability to add a fourth HDD with an optical drive conversion. Always wanted an X7200 too.

and if the thread said the model for 3960X compatibility i'd get on of them but i'm happy with my M18x Clevo may not have as much headroom as M18x has shown... dont get me wrong 12threads would be so sweet :) just happy with mine perhaps when i see 16thread cpus ;) maybe i'll get a Clevo build then... and mod the crap out the heatsink lol gonna need a lott of cooling for such a chip... seems it would throttle down a lot... alternate cooling over air seems to be important and inevitable