X7200 vs M18x which one would you choose?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. X7200 vs M18x which one would you choose?

• M18x
    • X7200

• Founder

In terms of performance the X7200 still beats the M18x but it would take 2 PSUs in parallel and a desktop CPU (poor battery life), plus the design needs improvements... so overall I prefer the M18x

• Thumbs Up 1

Beats it in what way? It uses a desktop proc, so you really can't compare them in that respect.

The M18x will have a 120hz panel which to me is SUPER important, even without 3D 120hz looks SO MUCH BETTER!

More GPU options on the CLEVO but the 6970 and 460m are on the m18x and possibly the 485m.

• Founder
Beats it in what way? It uses a desktop proc, so you really can't compare them in that respect.

The M18x will have a 120hz panel which to me is SUPER important, even without 3D 120hz looks SO MUCH BETTER!

More GPU options on the CLEVO but the 6970 and 460m are on the m18x and possibly the 485m.

Where did you hear about the 120 hz panel? This isn't the case afaik.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would go for the Alienware because I'm a fan for life now! But I would love a I7 990x in a laptop... believe me I would find uses for all 12 threads.

• Thumbs Up 1

Xotic PC allows x7200 np7280 to be configured with a total of 4 hard drives if you opt to have one in place of you dvd drive. 4 ssd in raid 0 could equal some nice numbers.

Yeah but how many really hard drives you need what are you going to do run quad ssd's like in your R2 4 256 ssd's lol, yeah i would so something for that. I would also find a way to use up all those threads also i totally agree play ton's of games while running virtual machines. It does need some improvement and their prices have always been pretty high but it's top of the line equipment. Weight isn't that bad though. It times for a backlit keyboard nice they are offering a matte screen now that's what i have always liked about Clevo though if i really save up my money i would buy one someday and a M18x comparisons! I hope dell comes out with a non 3D 120HZ panel.

• Founder

If only Clevo could hire a few good designers and improve their products aesthetically and quality wise... They still look like my D870P (back in 2004...)

Their cooling and performance is remarkable but the rest...

Yeah but how many really hard drives you need what are you going to do run quad ssd's like in your R2 4 256 ssd's lol, yeah i would so something for that. I would also find a way to use up all those threads also i totally agree play ton's of games while running virtual machines. It does need some improvement and their prices have always been pretty high but it's top of the line equipment. Weight isn't that bad though. It times for a backlit keyboard nice they are offering a matte screen now that's what i have always liked about Clevo though if i really save up my money i would buy one someday and a M18x comparisons! I hope dell comes out with a non 3D 120HZ panel.

Right on, my R2 has 2 250gb ssd drives in raid 0, lol I wish I had 4 of them that would be crazy.

So maybe we just need Alienware to jump on the laptop w/ desktop cpu config... M18x w/990X 6core 12 thread 32nm fabrication processor.

• Founder

it wouldn't be portable, a 30min battery life, plus you would need 2 power bricks to carry around... moreover an unlocked 2920xm with cooling mods can come close in performance

it wouldn't be portable, a 30min battery life, plus you would need 2 power bricks to carry around... moreover an unlocked 2920xm with cooling mods can come close in performance

True no one wants to lug a bunch of bricks around. I know... the 2920xm has gotten great reviews beating 980x in a lot of benches. They could try to be more creative with throttle stop we can fine tune powersavings and when not using it for extreme processing we could easily have a profile to bring it into lower clocks we would see on a 2920xm or lower notebook processors giving it better battery life. Dell could do something similar but I don't see it ever getting past the drawing board. So that leaves the 2920 as a very fast processor that saves energy for us so we see longer battery lives.

With the M18x still 1+ months away, I'm waiting for any info on the rumoured p180hm. I almost bought an X7200 about 4-5 weeks ago, so glad now that I held back.

Right at the moment, It'd be a simple decision for me -

M18X

Backlit keyboard

2 1/2hrs + battery life

Single power brick

International warranty

Four row numpad

Aluminium shell

Macro keys

Less weight

HDMI in

X7200

Faster potential CPU

??????

Just my 2c

• Founder

X7200 has nothing on M18x IMO unless you need the X7200's 990x CPU for development work. The extra cores would then be useful I suppose but at that rate, I'd rather just build a light weight HTPC. The P180HM, that's their 17" version with 3D + 485M right? Seems like a decent system and will force Alienware to step up the M17x-R3 with a 485M option as well. For the M18x, the 485M isn't very important since there is no 3D screen offered on the M18x. Oh yeah, you left out battery life, M18x gets 3:30+ while X7200 gets about 15-20 minutes lol!

So X7200 is a desktop computer you can move easier (no battery life mean not a true laptop) and the M18x is a beast of a laptop (has similar performance of the X7200 and it actually has good battery life).

• Founder
AFAIK the P180HM Should be sandy based dual GPU, similar to m18x. Also the long asked for backlit keyboard. The P170 is the one with single 485.

Ah ok so the P180HM is the X8100 replacement. Well if they kept the shape the same but just added a backlit kb with no IGP support, it'll still play second fiddle to AW.

Killerbunny yes those points are right on, the Clevo also has a Sandybridge model that can compare better given it has a 2920XM as an option at around *$800 something and Dell's is $900 something. So the GT485M is also for sale for a Clevo and Dell had left that SLi setup out. Config for Dell M18x w/ 2920XM, (2) 250gb ssd in raid 0 and 6970M Xfire was pushing $5500+. The Clevo with all the same config came to about $4,300 minus the inch or so on the screen size... If I had cash and not credit on a Dell preffered account I would pick the Clevo with 485M SLi for less cost than the M18x.

I had 2 250gb ssd drives in my R2 totaling 500gb of hard drive space in raid 0... lol 4 hard drives would be awesome in an R2.