There's not a lot available, but some additional menus are accessible.

It might be possible to tweak it a bit more, but I don't want to break anyone's machine, but in case you're interested and understand the risk, let me know.

Grab the BIOS here: Acer Iconia 6120 - BIOS 1.07 unlocked

As always with such mods, use at your own risk.

Not all options are necessarily working for your system, only change what you're familiar with. If you mess up and the system won't boot anymore remove the coin cell battery for a while to reset the bios settings.

Acer_Iconia_6120_-_BIOS_1.07_[unlocked].zip

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, there seems to be something like this in the bios, but not sure how I can make it available... If anyone doesn't mind a possible brick and wants to test, let me know. Else I won't bother since it would be a waste of time if nobody is going to flash it in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using winows 8 and cannot complain about the result. there is a good youtube primer. I have only a few small irritants. I would prefer the keyboard button to act as the Windows key and Windows 8 does not really stop the system, the boot keyboard never comes up unless I force stop by holding the power button. Are there options in the unlocked Bios that go that way? ;) before I try it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Hi. First let me say thank you for this BIOS mod.

And secondly, I have a little favour to ask of you (or anyone else, for that matter). Would it be possible to make accessible 16GB of RAM using BIOS modification? Or is it limited by hardware?

• Thumbs Up 1

In case anyone would like to get access to the BIOS Chip on an Acer Iconia 6120, here are some instruction to safely disassemble it.

1. Remove back cover plate

2. Remove the screws and disconnect cables marked in the picture below

post-28285-14494998008241_thumb.jpg

3. Carefully separate the bottom screen from the case to get access to additional screws required to get full access to the motherboard. In order to separate the screen use a small plastic tool to move around the edge starting at the front and unhook it. Be gentle so you don't accidently break the plastic clips.

4. Be mindful of the cable connecting from the screen to the power button circuit in the right corner. You don't want to accidently tear the small wires that it consists of.

5. Remove all remaining screws that became accessible once the screen is removed.

Hope this helps someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Hi svl7,

Really good job in this unlocked BIOS.

I am (still) using this iconia and your bios is really great as the original bios have too much restrictions.

By the way, the PCI part, I enable it to do some test for the second mPCIe slot but nothing is detect when I plug card into it. Any settings to do in your BIOS to enable the second mPCIe port?

Anyway thank you for your good job.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

Hello, I would like to try this bios if I have corrected a fault I have with the clock on the bios that is not keeping time ..... the button battery bios and changed the date, the time saved but no. ....A greeting

• 3 weeks later...

and I read privacy policy and the truth, do not understand English nor google translator ....

I would like to unburden (Acer Iconia 6120 - ' unlocked ' BIOS)

but I get the error: 2C171 / 1 ???? I do not understand that mistake ....

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU
I have read and privacy policy and really do not understand English or google translator ....
I would like to download (Acer Iconia 6120 - ' unlocked ' BIOS)
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU

On 24/6/2016 at 1:25 PM, Tonatiu666 said:

and I read privacy policy and the truth, do not understand English nor google translator ....

I would like to unburden (Acer Iconia 6120 - ' unlocked ' BIOS)

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU

I have read and privacy policy and really do not understand English or google translator ....
I would like to download (Acer Iconia 6120 - ' unlocked ' BIOS)
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU

I think you must be elite user to download the file...

PS: Me acabo de gastar 13€ para 3 meses de elite y así poder bajarme el ejecutable (que por cierto funciona muy bien).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I came into obtaining a fairly new (almost unused) Iconia 6120 from a friend of mine.  Yes, I know it is a 1st generation i5 CPU and limited to 8G max memory, and I know there are no other spec. variations of this product/model from Acer other than what I just mentioned.  However, I have searched various blogs for info on this subject.  I am interested in upgrading this laptop, ...primarily its processing capabilities, such as the CPU and its memory.  It would seem the easiest upgrade is replacing the hard drive with an SSD drive, which several vendors online seem to have compatible for this laptop.

In my line of work (and play) as a live musician, as well as having some small but powerful recording/processing equipment & software (Presonus Studio One 3 Professional DAW, Presonus model 192 Audio Interface).  The huge feature for myself would be the dual touch-screens with the bottom screen becoming a touchscreen mixer (controlling the bottom half of my DAW software).

So far, I have only found that the "possibly-compatible" CPUs to potentially upgrade to (from the original 1st gen Intel Core Mobile i5) are the similiar 1st gen. Core Mobile i7-640M or the Core Mobile-Extreme 940XM.  Has anyone on this blog thread actually successfully replaced the CPU in the Iconia 6120 with one of these CPUs with successful results, and does it require tweaking a setting in an "unlocked" bios?  Please reply and let me (and everyone else here) know.

More importantly, I would like to expand the memory from its maximum (8G) to 16G, which I believe will require an "unlocked" bios.  Again I ask, has anyone on this blog thread actually successfully been able to upgrade their memory in this laptop (say, ...to 16G) with successful results by using/tweaking the "unlocked BIOS" presented at the top of this blog thread?  Again, I humbly ask....please reply and let me (and everyone else here) know.  Thanks again in advance.

Cybersax

• 2 weeks later...

....so for all who are interested.....I was able to purchase a 1st gen. Intel i7-640M, the highest-level chip that may work to upgrade the Iconia 6120.  I found out the Intel i7-920XM or i7-940XM (Extreme Mobile series) won't work because it does not have on-board graphics like the i7-640M does.  I've downloaded the "unlocked" 1.07 BIOS, so I need to work with that first to see if any settings need to be tweaked for upgrades to the CPU, fixed memory, and SSD drive.  I will let this site know (once I receive all parts in and attempt the upgrade) whether or not it was successful.  I will also let you know if the 8G memory limitation can be breached.

• 4 weeks later...

The Iconia CPU upgrade from the original Intel 1st-gen i5-460M to the 1st-gen i7-640M was successful, the laptop is running very well.  It is a pain to take all the screws out and disconnect all the mini-connectors to access the chip properly (as posted in the pictoral in the string above).  You do have to be careful.  After carefully prying the top-part loose from the bottom, ...I might add that you should fold-out the Iconia "flat" (first) and then lift the top-part straight up (parallel) to remove.  Inotherwords, do not lift it off at an angle (tilted), or you will probably break one (or both) of the plastic hinges.

Because of heat issues with the iconia, I would also make sure you clean off all the old thermal grease, and apply fresh good-quality thermal grease, make sure the CPU is inserted in the socket as tight and secure as possible, press & rotate in a circular motion to make sure the CPU is seated well with the heat sink, and make sure the heat sink is tightened down securely.

I have not explored the unlocked BIOS yet, that is the next adventure, ....will let you know how that turns out.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 6:27 AM, rs2pac said:

My config

Windows 7

CPU Core i5 480

RAM 8Gb

SSD Samsung 860 EVO

Disconnected the touch and use it as a laptop with two external monitors

Has been working perfectly for 5 years

My current config

OS: Ubuntu 20.4  (Windows 7 on another hard drive as well)

CPU: Core i7 640M (You can find it on eBay for ~$50 - Much thanks to Cybersax above for noting the processor was upgradable)

RAM: 8GB

SSD: EVO 850

My brother had this laptop for a few years before he passed away.   It stopped working on him shortly after he got it - would boot, but neither display would work without messing with the HDMI port.. (plugging in an external monitor, TV, etc - MAY get them to work 1 time out of 50). Ended up ordering a motherboard and replacing it - that fixed the display issues, ordered the i7 CPU around the same time, and upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB today.  

• 11 months later...
  • Bios Modder
2 hours ago, Meoleo91 said:

Can someone create a new link for the unlocked bios? The old link is down. Thank you! 

Hi!

Right now I checked these download links - all links works.

If you for some reason can't download, then just read the "User Account Promotion Rules":  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

6 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

Right now I checked these download links - all links works.

If you for some reason can't download, then just read the "User Account Promotion Rules":  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

Ah that's reassuring. I'll have a review of the rules. Thank you so much!