M15x w/ 7970 + 920XM Throttlestop issues

loafer987

Wasnt sure this should go in the throttlestop forum or M15x but its more of a M15x issue.

So I have my card undervolted to 1.0v. I just got a 920xm. When i set throttlestop to 80/70 TDP and 26/25/24/24 for 1/2/3/4 cores respectively I get this really strange throttling issue in 3dmark 2011. Check out my 3dmark results and look closely at the CPU Speeds and "combined results" fps.

Result

Let me know if this link doesnt work but I think its generic. So I get a way lower combined FPS when at the higher clock speeds. (ie. power throttling) Now the question is:

What settings is everyone else using to keep from having throttling issues when GPU and CPU are under full load.

What TDP settings are we all using for TS?

Whats the best combination and balance between gpu and cpu we have found? (maybe a question just for someone like Svl7)

I must be slow or I just hate software overclocking but TS doesnt seem to be as simple as I'd like it. The TDP logic is something I understand but the throttling and speed controls of the chip itself are very hard to understand and hard to make sure I am getting what I am asking out of the cpu.

I'm gonna try undervolting the GPU further tonight as this seems to be the answer I can find most of the other M15x owners have found but I was quite enjoying 900/1300 speeds at 1.0v. :torn:

Thanks for reading and please... HELP!

The M15x motherboard isn't perfect... The CPU can use as much power as it want's, I had it drawing more than 220W during serious overclocking, but the problem is that as soon as the CPU power draw gets above a certain level, the GPU voltage gets unstable, drops. This happens sooner if the GPU is drawing a lot of power, but you can even notice it with a 260m or 5850m - as long as you really crank up the CPU.

There's only one easy way to circumvent this, you need to lower your overclock, either on the GPU or CPU.

Each application affects the CPU / GPU in a different way, so while this seems to slow you down in 3dMark11 it might still work perfectly fine in a game. There's no universal setting which will solve the issues for you, it's necessary to find the sweet spot for each application if you really want to get the best possible results.

Regarding your throttling: If you set up TS correctly then it's not your CPU which is throttling in the last test, it's the GPU, due to a lack of power.

Detailed information about all the different TS settings can be find in this excellent Throttlestop guide.

The final 3DMark reported MHz is not the best way to judge what speed your CPU is running at during the benchmark. Kind of piss poor actually. :)

Run ThrottleStop with the Log File option selected and you will have a very accurate record of what your CPU has been up to during a run.

If you don't know how to read the log file, upload it to www.pastebin.com and post a link here so I can have a look. Send me a PM to remind me if I forget.

The M15x with a 920XM has some significant throttling problems. Getting the most out of this combo is a balancing act. For maximum performance, you need to be right on the edge of throttling without going over.

Thanks guys i read through most of the throttlestop guide but it doesnt really give as much info in the 920xm as I'd like. And mainly because its not specific to the M15x. I just was kinda hoping to see what others are using for their settings and what ballpark I should be shooting for with the M15x.

The problem now seems to almost be worse than before as I get throttling in 3dmark 2011 even at stock clocks... Maybe my PSU is dying. I just dont really understand whats going on.

M15x throttling - Pastebin.com

Heres my Throttlestop log file. This is a complete 3dmark 11 run. As soon as I get to the last test you can see the throttling. This is now at 71/66 tpl 23/22/19/19 multipliers. I believe these are stock or close to stock and should run fine but I'm still having a hell of a time. I am unloading a video of the throttling. Its hard to notice but it throttles most of the video then there is a couple quick burps of proper speed.

Heres the video.

M15x throttling - Pastebin.com

Heres my Throttlestop log file. This is a complete 3dmark 11 run. As soon as I get to the last test you can see the throttling. This is now at 71/66 tpl 23/22/19/19 multipliers. I believe these are stock or close to stock and should run fine but I'm still having a hell of a time. I am unloading a video of the throttling. Its hard to notice but it throttles most of the video then there is a couple quick burps of proper speed.

Heres the video.

Stock are 24/23/17/17 , try those.

Also, in Throttlestop, check "Chipset Clock Mod" and make sure its at 100%

The end of your log shows chipset clock modulation being used to throttle your CPU. As ssj92 mentioned, set that to 100% in ThrottleStop and make sure you have ThrottleStop turned on to help avoid this type of throttling.

Your temps are fine. If this helps then you should be able to raise your multis back up to a more respectable level. Avoid any BCLK overclocking while you are playing with the multipliers.

I would still like to see a screen shot of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have it setup.

• 4 weeks later...

Very sorry it took so long to reply in this thread. Its a long story involving 3 RGB LED screens for my M15x and forgetting how to reassemble it once I finally got one that worked.

post-4935-14494994022852_thumb.png

Here is my TS settings on the main screen. I am aware that right now it is "off"

I currently can only get 24/23/18/18 at 71TDP/66TDC settings. The even stranger thing is I can pull off those same multipliers at 55tdp/55tdc (undervolting?) Without any issue either.

I really wish I could find or borrow a 240W psu to know if thats my issue or not...

Ok nope since the 1080p screen install or just since I had a memory that worked now it doesnt matter what I have TS set to even using the stock settings its throttling. Its more obvious in MSI Kombustor so I am using that for quick testing now. If I reboot the laptop and leave throttlestop closed the laptop runs perfectly without throttling. As soon as I open throttlestop is causes the throttling.

Do you fully understand how a 920XM CPU works and do you fully understand how ThrottleStop works?

If you need to learn some more then start by running 8 threads of wPrime and do some benchmark testing with that. Make sure ThrottleStop is not in Monitoring mode. Set the TDP and TDC appropriately. Settings of 55-55 are not going to let your CPU perform to its full potential. Whether ThrottleStop is on or in Monitoring Mode; it is going to take whatever TDP-TDC settings you were using or you previously saved and it is going to set the CPU to those settings. The TDP-TDC will not change until after you reboot or you open up ThrottleStop and make a change.

Post a screen shot in the middle of a full load wPrime test so we can see what multipliers your CPU are using and if it is throttling during the middle of this test.

If there is no throttling in this test then start testing with MSI Kombustor. We need to see some log data with the TDP-TDC set much higher and with ThrottleStop enabled.

Hi loafer, I am unable to complete a full 3dmark11 run without throttling either. I have the same setup although singularly stressing CPU or GPU to max I don't throttle. Really I've only OC my CPU and adjust from a minor overclock (2.66 -> 3.33) between 65/62 and 72/67. I've played ~70hours borderlands2 and only get throttling if I start gaming after resuming from sleep mode. I have to reboot after resuming from sleep other then that I have no issues.

I think 3dmark11 is pushing CPU/GPU both at max and even with the 920xm at stock, its at the limits of the M15x boards power limitations. At 55/55, your CPU won't be running at your higher TS steppings and when consistently pushed (not enough power) so it'll settle to a lower step than you specified. Like, it may be running at x16 or x17 all cores instead of your set x18. Then you'll want to find where your CPU has enough power without overheating where your system consistently stays at the higher clocks you set. wPrime, Prime95, IBT, Linpack, OCCT CPU, whatever and TS, HWiNFO64 or Argus Monitor to see if/how often your CPU throttles itself and adjust your power settings to reduce this throttling (assuming your under 95c)

Yes I understand how TS works. I have also used the intel extreme utility which does the same thing. If I set the TDP to say... 90/80 I can take the cpu all the way up to 26x on all 4 cores without clock modulation or throttling. As soon as I add my GPU to the mix everything $hits the bed and I have to reboot and try again with lower multipliers. If i dont reboot and just try lowering the multi's it will still throttle even if I set it below stock multis... i don't know if this is a software bug or something hardware related.

Regardless no matter what setting I use on the cpu. even if its a really low multi like 19 or 20 on 4 cores at 70/60tdp (which really is all i was hoping for as i know the M15x has weak power circuits) wprime will not throttle for the entire test, but as soon as the GPU is stressed at the same time like with far cry 3 or anything else fairly intensive, i get throttling or clock modulation and everything begins to stutter like my 3dmark video shows.

Now where I don't know if my thought process is correct is the TDP settings. From what I understand these are "caps" for the power limits of the CPU. If I am correct thinking this I should be able to crank the tdp's to something like 90/80 and even though they are set that high if I use settings like 24/24/19/18 just for example its not going to use anywhere near the TDP settings. ie. what I set the TDPs to is not what its actually forced to use. If my thoughts here are correct I should be able to set the them higher than I would need and use a lower multi setting without issue. This seems to be Svl7's method in his threads about m15x's and videocards. Please correct me if i am wrong here but this is the one part of the program I am not 100% sure of.

Hm, looks fine to me for modulation and no throttling although for 8 threads I believe the wPrime score should be considerablly better. Like x24 ~309seconds

Going to standby and see what the more informed posters thoughts are though.

edit: my bad, thought TS bench used wPrime doh.

TS bench can't be compared to something like wprime, it's a whole different world.

Anyway, you need to find the sweet spot... it depends on what you want to do with your system and it even depends on each application. The higher your multi, the higher the voltage, which results in an increased power draw. You won't be able to play really CPU intense games at 90/80 24x anyways, it would overheat. There's another issue... and that's what you're most likely experiencing - the GPU voltage will drop when the CPU draws a certain amount of power.

Test something which has load on GPU and CPU, e.g. 3dM11 combined test... might help you to find the sweet spot and understand what exactly happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi All. I upgraded to the 7970 just days ago and run a 920XM by it's side in my system. I've read the posts and am slowly starting to learn how to set the system up for the best results thanks to great software tools such as TS, HWinfo and Afterburner. @svl7, your advice is spot on, I'm finding every game is different and the system needs to be monitored and tweaked for each game in turn. Thank you for your modified vbios files, they work great and I will buy you that beer once I get my rig setup a little better. :-)

I installed Catalyst 12.10 and my average best result (everything at stock clocks and GPU at 1V) in 3D Mark 11 was 5443. Last night I found a beta Catalyst 12.11 AMD Catalyst. Installed it and (everything at stock clocks and GPU at 1V) in 3D Mark 11 my score shot up to 6021. Nearly fell off the chair!! What an improvement, get it now. It improves GPU performance but sadly doesn't improve throttling.

@loafer987 Upgrading to a 240W PSU will not make one bit of difference to solving the throttling issues. I have both and have been testing across both and see no difference in system performance.

@nidcuim What are your core multiplier values TRL in Throttle Stop for playing Border Lands 2, and what version of Catalyst are you running?

@unclewebb The log that TS captures, is that a record of core 0 only, or an average of all the cores combined?

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate

TS bench can't be compared to something like wprime, it's a whole different world.

Anyway, you need to find the sweet spot... it depends on what you want to do with your system and it even depends on each application. The higher your multi, the higher the voltage, which results in an increased power draw. You won't be able to play really CPU intense games at 90/80 24x anyways, it would overheat. There's another issue... and that's what you're most likely experiencing - the GPU voltage will drop when the CPU draws a certain amount of power.

Test something which has load on GPU and CPU, e.g. 3dM11 combined test... might help you to find the sweet spot and understand what exactly happens.

svl7! I have attempted to match your every move with your M15x to make this work and its driving me nuts. I have my 7970 flashed to your .95v vbios and I cant run the 920xm even one multi above stock clocks without gpu throttling. I also have an AC power meter and I am only drawing 130w max from the wall. as soon as I try to use throttlestop at all, even at 71/65 at 16 or 17 multi on 3 and 4 cores it throttles. But i know its not the total power draw as it used to draw 145w with my 5850m and now it maxes out at 135!!! Please any ideas at all! I'm so confused and lost...

3dmark 2011 combined test is the easiest way for me to test for throttling and anything above stock at all it starts stuttering...

Maybe you don't have enough voltage... I benched my card on stock voltage, and even on a slightly increased voltage and was able to run the 3dM11 combined test with a reasonable frame rate.

What's your combined score?

Maybe you don't have enough voltage... I benched my card on stock voltage, and even on a slightly increased voltage and was able to run the 3dM11 combined test with a reasonable frame rate.

What's your combined score?

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz,Alienware score: P5424 3DMarks Stock clocks .95v vbios

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz,Alienware score: P5678 3DMarks When I started to have throttling issues... .975 vbios

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz,Alienware score: P5664 3DMarks Best score I was able to pull off before it all went south. cant remember what vbios. Probably 1.0v

At one point I was able to get the full test to run at 23x I believe thats the bottom score. But I cant remember what vbios I was running at the time.

I just tried reflashing the vbios to 1.0v and i reproduced the last result no problem. I'm thinking undervolting too much is the root of the problems here. I have the GPU at 900/1300 at 1.0v and the cpu stock and its fine. I will try throttlestop again tonight and go for something like 20x all 4 and see what happens.

This is the result of last nights findings. AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz,Alienware score: P5641 3DMarks