Hello.

Can someone please tell me can macbook pro 15" mid 2012 with dgpu work with egpu with internal display?

thank you!

Per Shelltoe's comments, it won't drive the internal display. Only 15" MBP that can is the latest Haswell unit with Iris Pro only graphics. That's the model without the GT750M. See details about that unit at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5469-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-retina-gtx670-pe4h-3-2-sonnet-expresscard-pro.html#post76522

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make my setup work base on this tread informations but until now without success :(.

I have a macbook pro retina (mid 2012 with the Intel HD 4000 and this really nice nvidia 650M card that cause tonnes of issues ^^).

So my eGPU is a Radeon 6870 that I connect to my Mac using a OWC Helios 2 (seems to be some of Sonnet's pcb) it's a native thunderbolt solution.

On this pcb there are 2 pci-e slots, one for the Radeon and on the other I plugged a highpoint rocket 640L SATA III controller for the Windows 8.1 (Installed in EFI mode) ssd.

So for using the eGPU, I'm booting on the ssd that's connected on the same thunderbolt as the GPU.

I followed the guide concerning the rEFIt but when I'm booting windows with the eGPU and the SATA controller I get a BSOD with "Inaccessible_boot_device" like if the GPU was replacing the controller 0.0.

I tried to boot on the ssd with a usb->sata device but same issue.

I think that my pci-e line/register are not really optimised for this.

I've also check, if I unplug the gpu from the sonnet board all works great, windows boot normaly and all is ok. But as soon as I plug the GPU something goes wrong.

Someone as an idea or an advice ?

By the way the syntaxe for the "mm" command dosen't work for me, the mm 00020004 1 ;PCI :0

give me too many arguments.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make my setup work base on this tread informations but until now without success :(.

I have a macbook pro retina (mid 2012 with the Intel HD 4000 and this really nice nvidia 650M card that cause tonnes of issues ^^).

So my eGPU is a Radeon 6870 that I connect to my Mac using a OWC Helios 2 (seems to be some of Sonnet's pcb) it's a native thunderbolt solution.

On this pcb there are 2 pci-e slots, one for the Radeon and on the other I plugged a highpoint rocket 640L SATA III controller for the Windows 8.1 (Installed in EFI mode) ssd.

So for using the eGPU, I'm booting on the ssd that's connected on the same thunderbolt as the GPU.

I followed the guide concerning the rEFIt but when I'm booting windows with the eGPU and the SATA controller I get a BSOD with "Inaccessible_boot_device" like if the GPU was replacing the controller 0.0.

I tried to boot on the ssd with a usb->sata device but same issue.

I think that my pci-e line/register are not really optimised for this.

I've also check, if I unplug the gpu from the sonnet board all works great, windows boot normaly and all is ok. But as soon as I plug the GPU something goes wrong.

Someone as an idea or an advice ?

By the way the syntaxe for the "mm" command dosen't work for me, the mm 00020004 1 ;PCI :0

give me too many arguments.

@CypressXt, looks like you have it working. Would you mind doing a writeup of how you got it working? We like only one THunderbolt Macbook eGPU implementation listed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 . Also, the 2012 15" rMBP has little representation there as does the OWC Helios 2.

Hi @Nando4 and the others too,

Whaou how did you find this video (#NSA :P I post it yesterday and you saw it instantly 0.0 ).

I would be pleased to explain my work here but I'm not really happy with my solution for the moment.

I didn't find a solution to make it work in native EFI mode cause of the pci-e lane attribution.

So after hours and hours of testing I through all throw the windows (it's an image, don't do it) and I made an Windows 8.1 Bios install.

By the way I found this, it can be usefull for others: Win7 x64 booting natively via EFI (no BIOS emulation) - Page 36 - MacRumors Forums (it's about rEFIt configuration)

The USB key that I haved used to install windows 8.1 in bios mode dosen't boot on my macbook so I used a "normal pc" to install it on the external ssd.

After that I plugged the ssd (using an usb adapter) to my mac and boot on it. Then I installed the normal bootcamp drivers here.

A wild and fonctionnal Windows 8.1 installation appear BUT my HD4000 isn't visible in the device manager and I can't install the Intel driver (I didn't really understand it now...).

Afterward I follow the dsdt override guide here (just the first part concerning the dsdt not the driver part).

Finally I boot on the external ssd (still in usb, the highpoint rocket 640L don't want to) with the eGPU plugged in BUT the psu down.

When you're logged in open the device manager and start your external power supply and make a secondary click on your pc's name and chose something like "search for plug-and-play devices" and my HD 6870 mystically appear.

In conclusion, I'm not really happy for 2 reasons,

the first one: I can't boot directly from the highpoint rocket 640L sata controller (On the video I let it over the psu but it normally stay just behind the HD 6870)

and the second one: It works great and I don't really understand why 0.0 .

So Nando if you judge it useful I would be happy to write a proper guide :) !

Hi @Nando4 and the others too,

Whaou how did you find this video (#NSA :P I post it yesterday and you saw it instantly 0.0 ).

I would be pleased to explain my work here but I'm not really happy with my solution for the moment.

I didn't find a solution to make it work in native EFI mode cause of the pci-e lane attribution.

So after hours and hours of testing I through all throw the windows (it's an image, don't do it) and I made an Windows 8.1 Bios install.

By the way I found this, it can be usefull for others: Win7 x64 booting natively via EFI (no BIOS emulation) - Page 36 - MacRumors Forums (it's about rEFIt configuration)

The USB key that I haved used to install windows 8.1 in bios mode dosen't boot on my macbook so I used a "normal pc" to install it on the external ssd.

After that I plugged the ssd (using an usb adapter) to my mac and boot on it. Then I installed the normal bootcamp drivers here.

A wild and fonctionnal Windows 8.1 installation appear BUT my HD4000 isn't visible in the device manager and I can't install the Intel driver (I didn't really understand it now...).

Afterward I follow the dsdt override guide here (just the first part concerning the dsdt not the driver part).

Finally I boot on the external ssd (still in usb, the highpoint rocket 640L don't want to) with the eGPU plugged in BUT the psu down.

When you're logged in open the device manager and start your external power supply and make a secondary click on your pc's name and chose something like "search for plug-and-play devices" and my HD 6870 mystically appear.

In conclusion, I'm not really happy for 2 reasons,

the first one: I can't boot directly from the highpoint rocket 640L sata controller (On the video I let it over the psu but it normally stay just behind the HD 6870)

and the second one: It works great and I don't really understand why 0.0 .

So Nando if you judge it useful I would be happy to write a proper guide :) !

You are the first use a Helios II enclosure, which as I understand it, is a rebadged Sonnet EE SE II but with better warranty. Consider other documented Thunderbolt enclosures used to date: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707

The wiring looks neatly done on the video. I'd love to see some more closeups of how it all goes together along with an explanation bringing it all to life.

In addition, your DSDT override method also a first to overcoming error 12 issues in MBR mode.

Lastly, there have been problems in syncing up the startup of the eGPU such that the Macbook doesn't turn off when in MBR/BIOS mode. We've had to resort to PCI Reset Delay circuits or elaborate startups at a specific point when the Macbook chimes. A problem that doesn't present itself when using UEFI mode. I'm not seeing any mention of that being a problem for you.

All in all, you have devised a new solution for issues encountered. A GUIDE showing what and how you did it could certainly help others and may save them from throwing the rig out the window :) I'd suggest adding an Appendix for things tried that didn't work, including bugs about the rocket SATA controller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey Shelltoe, how did you get you sound working in EFI Win8? I have the same Macbook as you. I had to use the Bootcamp drivers from 5.0.5033 instead of version 5.1.5621 to get my display drivers working. Is that how you installed your drivers in Windows?

• 4 months later...

Hello Shelltoe,

Hardware: rMBP (early 2013) with 650M dedicated graphics, TB1; Sonnet III-D with MSI 760 ITX.

I am running Windows 8.1 in EFI mode on an external SSD attached via a thunderbolt. I've been trying to get my graphics card working (right now it is listed in Windows with the dreaded code 12: not enough resources). I followed your instructions and added refind with startup.nsh. I am unclear if I need to list all bridges, the root bridge, or the bridge just prior to the video card. Originally Nando was trying to get me going with a MBR solution but I have a pretty complex pci bridge on my system and Setup 1.2/1.3 won't work.

At first I copied your startup.nsh exactly and booted with eft-shell. The card was listed in the device manager but still had error code 12.

Can you give me any advice since it seem you have a much better understanding of what's going on under the hood?

Here is the trace of all of the pci bridges (windows won't load with this):

mm 0001013E 1 ;PCI :8 # root bridge

mm 0500003E 1 ;PCI :8

mm 0604003E 1 ;PCI :8

mm 3900003E 1 ;PCI :8

mm 3A03003E 1 ;PCI :8

mm 3B00003E 1 ;PCI :8

mm 3C50003E 1 ;PCI :8

mm 3F000004 1 ;PCI :7 # bus master

Attempt 1: windows boots, GTX 760: error 12 (your initial startup.nsh)

Attempt 2: windows boots, GTX 760: error 12

Attempt 3: windows boots, GTX 760: error 12

mm 3C50003E 1 ;PCI :8 # last bridge

I picked up the Sonnet III-D used from eBay for less than the cost of the Akitio Thunder2 and the Dell power supply. Chassis was damaged but internals were fine. Seemed like an ok decision at the time but now I've read a couple of posts that indicate the complex PCI bridging on this device can cause issues.

Thanks,

Matt

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry bro, I not visiting this forum very often any more.

Hope you could solve your problem. Write me a PM if you still need help. I'll check back in a few days.

(My eGPU still works fine btw ;) to bad TH05 was discontinued... )

Edited by Shelltoe

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2012 15" rMBP GT650M + GTX560Ti@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) + Win8.1 [Shelltoe]