when i boot my mac, the internal lcd displays the grey screen. i see the rEFId menu on the internal screen and select the windows partition. rEFId then goes away and changes to a semi-black screen which just says it's starting the partition. after a second or so, still on the internal LCD, i see the windows loading screen for about a second. then the screen goes fully black for 2-3 seconds, and finally the lcd turn off. about 2 seconds after, the egpu's monitor gets a signal and i get the windows 8 welcome screen. prior to the welcome screen, the egpu doesnt output anything.

so, it appears something is turning off the LCD once the eGPU starts.

When you say the LCD turns off, does this also see the HD4000 missing from your device manager listing as you showed before? If so then that would indicate the DSDT table is switching off the iGPU and enabling the eGPU as the primary device. In which case doing a bootcamped MBR install may be pointless as would probably give the same result.

If you're going to try to modify the DSDT table then be warned, Win8 no longer allows registry overrides. You'd need to use a mechanism such as I describe in the DSDT override procedure to do a pre-boot in-memory DSDT substitution. Maybe rEFId has a mechanism to do that? Win7 does allow registry DSDT overrides.

When you say the LCD turns off, does this also see the HD4000 missing from your device manager listing as you showed before?

yeah, i was just describing in more detail what happened before (booting efi with egpu plugged in). after windows spinner thing, internal lcd turns off, egpu takes over.

If you're going to try to modify the DSDT table then be warned, Win8 no longer allows registry overrides. You'd need to use a mechanism such as I describe in the DSDT override procedure to do a pre-boot in-memory DSDT substitution. Maybe rEFId has a mechanism to do that? Win7 does allow registry DSDT overrides.

alright, windows 7 bios time. seems like that would be the easier way to test this theory. any tips while i read that page and try to do this change on my macbook? i've never really looked into DSDT changes before

for my 15" model the intel hd is still shown in device manager but can't be connected to the internal while the egpu is connected.

the same happens if i try to switch graphics (650m -> intel hd) so i still believe it's intel drivers unable to handle the display.

the drivers seem to be functional in device manager and actually work offscreen.

with nando's amazing help, i was able to get it working w/ Optimus + internal LCD! no DSDT changes were needed, but i did need to follow the instructions for proper BIOS setup as specified on this page: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2367-macbook-pro-retina-15-gtx-560-ti-%40-th05-3.html#post32194 this is important as macbooks appear to need to be done that way.

i did this in win7 bootcamp bios, but i suspect i can reproduce this using win 8 as well. going to try that next.

i had to use a different /config/pci.bat (below) in Setup 1.X:

@echo off
echo Performing PCI allocation for 2012 13" MBPr based off Tech Inferno Fan's MBP BIOS mode findings . . .

:: The X16 root port
@echo -s 0:1.1 1c.w=6030 20.l=AE90A090 24.l=CDF1AEA1 > setpci.arg

:: Underlying Bridges in order from high to low
@echo -s 4:0.0 1c.w=5131 20.l=AB00A090 24.l=C9F1B801 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 5:3.0 1c.w=4131 20.l=A700A200 24.l=C5F1B801 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 7:0.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg
@echo -s 8:0.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg

:: The NVidia GTX570
@echo -s 9:0.0 04.w=400 0C.b=20 24.w=3F81 10.l=A2000000 14.l=B8000000 1C.l=C0000000 3C.b=10 50.b=1 88.w=140 >> setpci.arg

setpci @setpci.arg
set pci_written=yes

/config/startup.bat

:: Speed up end-to-end runtime of startup.bat using caching
call speedup lbacache

:: wait for GTX570 eGPU to be on the PCI BUS
call vidwait 60 10de:1086

:: initialize NVidia eGPU
call vidinit -d 10de:1086

:: Perform the pci-e fixups
call pci

:: Chainload to the MBR
call grub4dos mbr

go back a couple threads if you need to see the specs of my setup

It was a little confusing to read about the Intel HD 4000. Does the driver work under EFI mode? Or was it just in combination with EFI + eGPU + internal LCD that it didn't work?

The Intel HD 4000 will work on its own in EFI, just not with the eGPU also hooked up. The new intel driver seems to have fixed the need to delete the driver file to make it display something.

Intel Drivers are bugged in EFI mode. I'll probably give BIOS install a try again to see if graphics switching works for 15" models! Great news.

yeah with the whole dGPU thing you have going on in the 15", i'm not sure how it'll turn out. report back!

The Intel HD 4000 will work on its own in EFI, just not with the eGPU also hooked up. The new intel driver seems to have fixed the need to delete the driver file to make it display something.

yeah with the whole dGPU thing you have going on in the 15", i'm not sure how it'll turn out. report back!

Really? I'm gone try those new drivers ... just saw them yesterday.

The actual graphic switching already works thanks to Linux developers but I'm stuck with those EFI driverbugs atm.

Gone do some quick tests with EFI ... BIOS will have to wait until next weekend as I'm pretty busy right now.

Really? I'm gone try those new drivers ... just saw them yesterday.

The actual graphic switching already works thanks to Linux developers but I'm stuck with those EFI driverbugs atm.

Gone do some quick tests with EFI ... BIOS will have to wait until next weekend as I'm pretty busy right now.

Didn't you note that in BIOS mode, the HD4000 doesn't even show up on the pci-e bus? Implying Apple switch if off entirely. In which case, no point in testing BIOS mode.

yeah sure. my plan is to switch graphics (disabling dgpu by doing so) before booting and give it a try. we'll see what happens.

EDIT: well nothing has changed for EFI... Device manager now tells me it's not a valid driver as its unsigned which didn't happen with previous versions. If I force driver signing and boot with Intel as GPU my screen turns black after Windows spinning wheel.

i doubt i can make use of the Intel HD with BIOS. if i have some spare time i'll give it a try anyways.

Device manager now tells me it's not a valid driver as its unsigned which didn't happen with previous versions.

oh i had that error too for some reason. i uninstalled the driver (and deleted files) and reinstalled it from intel's .zip file on their site. it worked the second time...

So, is sound also working now when the eGPU is not attatched?

Thanks!

google

So, is sound also working now when the eGPU is not attatched?

oh right i should have probably mentioned this. i dont know about you guys, but my sound works just fine. bootcamp drivers are all that's needed to get it enabled. maybe it's the configuration in my 13" Retina MBP, but works great.

Hi, just to be clear.

I have a Macbook Air 2012 Win 8 EFI. With the January 2013 Intel Driver you do not have to delete the sys file to see something, but still the device cannot be started as well as the Sound device that is not working. (Bootcamp is installed.)

Hello Macbook Air 2012 Owners:

A Warning / Info about the new EFI Update. (Of course i had to try it :P)

TH05 Bios Mode Win 7: SW1=1 -> Internal Screen stays black. Nothing happens.

TH05 Bios Mode Win 7: SW1=3 -> Windows Booting properly. eGPU not recognized at all in device manager any more. Not even with Error 12. (So, this is worse) It is working! Wait until red light goes off before selecting the OS to boot.

TH05 EFI Mode Win 8: SW1=1 -> Only eGpu is working properly. iGPU (HD4000) is showing in device manager and running properly. But cannot be seen in display settings and just stays black. (No improvements on the sound situation.)(So, also no improvement here.)

TH05 Bios Mode Win 7: SW1=3 -> Windows Booting properly. eGPU not recognized at all in device manager any more. Not even with Error 12. (So, this is worse)

did you wait for the red light to go off before selecting your OS? also try forcing the device manager to detect new hardware.

Confirmed. eGPU with an Nvidia 3rd gen card on a MacBook Air in Windows 8 64bit works!!! I got really frustrated trying to get rid of an error code#12... I uninstalled absolutely everything and reinstalled Windows 8 on the unallocated space on the harddrive. It installed just like the instructions @Tech Inferno Fan has provided. The only thing I did differently was that I messed around with the rEFInd file to get it to search for external hardware and didn't install the Bootcamp drivers. Kinda sucks... but I'm only using this partition to game, so I don't care too much. Back to rEFInd boot file - Everything is really well documented in the file, thanks to Roderick. Read the whole thing and you basically just have to take one (#) hashtag off to get the boot file to scan for the hardware. BEST THING: HD4000 works alongside my eGPU at the same time. That's crazy sauce! Boot into Windows 8 from the rEFInd menu... It takes a little longer because there's a 20sec delay while it searches for hardware and it'll show up on your external screen. sweeeet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have a macbook pro 15" retina and I'm having trouble trying to do what you guys write. I'm not professional in coding or similar.

I've been trying this for half a year. There's any way you could make a video tutorial or translate the professional steps to easy steps?

Thank You

Hi there, I have installed on my macbook pro via bootcamp windows 7

In my windows 7 it says MBR

what i do now?

Another question, this will really work? beause I couldn't make my egpu work because of memory space.

And I currently have a GTX 690, I know that I'll use only 30% of its power, but will it work correctly? or I'll need to disable the SLI to work? I can see that I'm gonna be the one to test this^^

Just to check, I have a macbook pro retina 15" 2.7 ghz 16gb ram, that will affect something?

Wait, how can I do your way? It seems to work better

what I need to do? I would like, if its not a problem, a step by step help, I really don't understand the technical stuff

If you want me to do nando's way I need to know where is \config\pci.bat

And know if the code he posts there can be used in my macbook pro retina

GTX 690 is SLI because it has 2 gpus inside it

If you want to use "my way" you'll have to grab a copy of Windows 8 64 bit and install it without BootCamp (in EFI Mode).

If you want to use your current installation you'll have to buy eGPU Setup 1.x (take a look at the link I posted). Thats where you have to put "\config\pci.bat".

It's pretty hard to write a howto about technical stuff without using technical terms at all. Choose your method and we'll see.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2012 15" rMBP GT650M + GTX560Ti@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) + Win8.1 [Shelltoe]