OCZ Vertex 3 new SKU for Max IO models

Michael

• Founder

Oh yeah of course... no doubt about that, I will stick with my X25-E for a long time, I don't think I will find anything more reliable than that anyways... I wish it costed me less though...

• Founder

I think I'll buy a 1 generation old SSD. The reason is because of the 4k limits on notebook hardware, it won't do me any good to pay top dollar for soemthing that has it's performance choked by hardware.

• Founder
Do the registry tweak and the TS mod and you will get all of its power :D

Screw that. I want it to work out of the box and don't want my CPU running at max mult all the time.

• Founder
man you can't have a wife that's a supermodel and a housewife at the same time... LOL

I firmly believe in the philosophy of having your cake and eating it too! Now that I settled on a SATA II Intel 320 series..I'm excited!

• 2 weeks later...

I found a decent comparison of Vertex 3 standard and Max IOPS edition. Mostly just this... standard had slightly higher speeds on some benches and max iops beat standard on some but main difference is small amount of power-saving and under very specific scenarios showed a large increase in IOPS on the MAX edition. Overall not even noticeable in real world scenarios.

Check it out here!

OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD Review (240GB) | StorageReview.com

• 3 weeks later...

Im going to steer away from all of this generation's sandforce drives TBH.

They have a linear auto-throttle that is constantly kicking in depending on the amount of writes left on the flash.

One of the key features about sandforce drives is that they can use "cheaper nand" for the same performance - and believe me they all do. This cheaper nand has less write cycles, so before 5 years is up the drive will actually be throttled as low as 20% of its "new" speed.

Not a typo. 20%.

This isnt including the trim bug that still exists on the new sandforce drives. If your drive ever gets totally covered in dirty blocks trim STOPS WORKING, and you need to secure erase the drive to restore it. Which reduces writes. Which kicks in more throttling.

All the tests I can see show the king of the hill to be the Crucial M4 and Crucial C300... Hilariously, they are about the same performance - c300 being better for randoms, M4 being better for sequentials.

In iometer benchmarks a pair of 120gb m4's is actually faster than a pair of V3's in raid 0 by a good 20%.

All the benchmarkers for sandforces new drives had to ask for a "Special" firmware version that switches off the throttling, but also disables the warranty on the drive. The IO for 4k reads on a retail drive is no ~80k like the marketing department says. Its actually closer to 5k.

Thats just woeful performance.

CDM uses purely compressible data so the sandforce drives run at max theoretical performance with CDM. Real world data loads dont get even close to this.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered two of these from Amazon they have not charged me for them yet. I ordered early June and the site says they usually ship in 1-2 months and the edd is latest July 30th. I am paying almost $1200 for both shipped and they are the Max Iops edition... If I still don't get notice soon I may cancel order. does anyone know where I could order two for a good price since Amazon is taking its sweet time?