OCZ Vertex 3 new SKU for Max IO models

Michael

• Founder

The latest OCZ Vertex 3 models are going to be split to standard and MaxIO editions with different SKUs and about 100$ price difference.

So there's gonna be 120GB and 120GB MaxIO, same for 240GB.

Source : General Discussion Vertex 3 MAX IO partno

I have a 240GB on preorder on amazon, not sure if i wanna cancel it or not...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Anand from Anandtech blasted OCZ about the wildly varying performance of these drives, and demanded that they name the drives differently based on their performance.

OCZ agreed, mainly I think because they saw an opportunity to charge more for something they were going to sell originally at a lower price.

I did not expect a $100 difference though. Thats just fucking greedy.

I guess their indlilinx purchase has hurt the back pocket a bit.

-Ash

If only intel and sandforce would work together... That might be the end of ocz, corsair, crucial, kingston, and pretty much every other ssd. You would have to pay a premium, but you would get both RELIABILITY and PERFORMANCE. Rumors that they might work together on the next gen ssd I heard?

• Thumbs Up 1

After seeing the 510 bomb at EVERY benchmark except one, I would go with anything else (except Corsair) at this point.

Also, never touching Corsair again with a 1 mile pole.

Their SSD's are so full of fail it's not even funny.

Newegg.com - Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) that's their F120 series that supposedly fixed all the issues their Reactor series suffered, of which I bought both R60 and F120...Corsair can go to hell.

After seeing the 510 bomb at EVERY benchmark except one, I would go with anything else (except Corsair) at this point.

Also, never touching Corsair again with a 1 mile pole.

Their SSD's are so full of fail it's not even funny.

Newegg.com - Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) that's their F120 series that supposedly fixed all the issues their Reactor series suffered, of which I bought both R60 and F120...Corsair can go to hell.

Wow I didn't realize they look okay on paper... guess Intel is good at CPU's not Solid State Drives...

OCZ really does not cease to amaze with their shadiness.

From my recent experiences with them, I'd say these v3 benches are bloated and will experience higher than normal degradation in their settled in state.

I mean, I would love to believe v3 will be the fastest - by a long shot - but after all they've put me through, and their pattern of disrespect and disregard toward their customers, I highly doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon.com: OCZ Technology 240 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-240G: Electronics

One is listed for $530, If they had 2 and I had that kind of money I'd grab them in a heartbeat.

NAND Flash Components: 2Xnm Multi-Level Cell (MLC) NAND Flash Memory, Interface: SATA III 6.0Gbps, Form Factor: 2.5" slim design form factor

Life Expectancy: 2 million hours Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF), ECC Recovery: Up to 55 bits correctable per 512-byte sector (BCH)

Max Read: up to 550MB/s, Max Write: up to 520 MB/s, 4KB Random Write (Aligned): 60,000 IOPS, Seek time: 0.1 ms, Controller: SandForce 2281

Where's the other version? Max IOPS edition?

*Both SKU's are listed with an ETA set to end of April. (could mean start of May)

VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G

VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G

The 240 is priced ~$100 above the standard V3 and the 120 is priced roughly $60 over the standard edition.

Edited by mw86

Either way sequential reads in Raid 0 with 2 drives would be 1gb+ a second which would be amazing and writes wouldn't fall far behind. Intels 510 model now that I look closer is much more expensive and has lower speeds. Knowing what you paid Michael I'll have to be patient and wait for them to go back to $500 or less.

*So Michael with an R3 are you on Sata3? The Sata 3 seems to be where the performance is... 500mb/sec reads...

Edited by mw86

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

Intel are lagging behind too much lately, i'd jump on a high performing sata 3 intel drive, but unfortunately i had to go with OCZ as it blows the best Intel has to offer out of the water.

• Founder

I am pretty sure they could deliver a much faster SSD but for some reason I think they hold their horses... could be wrong but I doubt a company like Intel is not be able to compete with a smaller company like OCZ... also the huge difference shown in the benchmarks is mostly because of the compressible data, so in many cases the difference won't be that big and I would rather go with reliability than performance when it comes to data.