Can We upgrade G73SW GPU?

andrewff2

Hopefully it's your vbios and not your card. Can svl7 shed any light here?

Here's a link to downloads for NVidia 680m vbios by manufacturer. I get that you may need to mod them. Maybe this will help give you a start?

Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

I just got the g73j heatsink in so am starting my mod on it. we may both be in the same learning step soon. good luck!

Hopefully it's your vbios and not your card. Can svl7 shed any light here?

Here's a link to downloads for NVidia 680m vbios by manufacturer. I get that you may need to mod them. Maybe this will help give you a start?

Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

I just got the g73j heatsink in so am starting my mod on it. we may both be in the same learning step soon. good luck!

You got a 680m too? or was another card can u provide me the details??

by the way i'm very interested in your keyboard mod can you post a video or a how to??

i really wanna make some changes in mine too :D not just upgrade the gpu >P

Yes, but the G73J uses the ATI video card and the G73SW uses Nvidia. the 7970m will work for the ATI compatible motherboard, while the G73Sw folks need to stick with Nvidia cards instead.

We are talking about G73JW and upgrading from 460m to 660m. Good you recieved your heatsink please post here what is your result after upgrade. you got 670m right?

got it that you're upgrading the g73jw. i'm upgrading the g73sw from the 460m to the 670m. the g73j heatsink is really close though, so that was a good tip to mod that one. (my 670m is the msi version). I just thought the 680m bios options might be helpful for you.

the keyboard mod is really easy-- basically you take off the keyboard (see any of the videos on disassembly) by taking a small flat head screwdriver and on the top of the keyboard in about 3 places pry gently under the keyboard. it's only held on by about 3 tabs up top and double sided sticky tape. then there's 2 cables to undo-a thin one and a thick one. the thin one you release by pulling back on the black tab on either side. the thick one I forget but I believe its the same the lock on each side is just beige. (to replace you just put the cables back in and push the lock pieces on both sides of the cable back in to secure it). there's 2 small screws on the silver (back) side of the keyboard. get a really small Phillips head (like a jewelry screwdriver or for eyeglasses) and unscrew those 2 screws. now the keyboard is in 2 pieces. you just get a piece of colored plastic film (I used 'color gel for lighting'-basically they go in front of theater lights) and just cut to fit. you can layer 2 color gels- for example I layered a red and yellow gel to make orange, or a red and blue to make purple-it doesn't dim the light. you can cut the pieces to have certain keys be certain colors and tape to stay. I poked holes so the little arrows on the wasd keys are yellow while the rest of the key is orange, and the arrows on the number pad keys are yellow but the rest of the number keys are green. you can get as creative as you want.) you can just use transparent tape to set the pieces how you want. the lights shine through it. make little holes where the screws go through, put the two pieces of the keyboard back together with the color film inside, replace the screws, replace the cables, and put the keyboard back into place and use the little flathead screwdriver to pop the tabs back in.

(you'll know if the cables aren't in straight because not all the keys will work right.)

that's a lot of words. lol. I suppose a video would be much faster. I have a little video camera but I have no idea how to post one to the forum. I suppose if I know then I can post one on the gpu mod.

- - - Updated - - -

oops. sorry. yes I got the 670m msi version. it looks pretty good to go, but i'm trying to see if I can get a modded vbios ready before I install the new card so if the card won't boot in my g73sw I can flash it right away with the modded bios. i'm guessing i'll need to do this for it to work properly.

I rcomend you wait more as it shows that its not just straight job excanging cards. Either vbios needs to be moded so its recognised by sbios or other way around and there isnt many guys around capable and willing to use their time on this.

OK, just finished 670m install on G73sw and I get the same error: 'Valid MXM structure not found. POST halted for 30 seconds, P-state limited to P10.' were there any ideas of next steps on this one? pic upload doesn't seem to be happening. but I do have one.

I am ready now to test any 680m vbios anyone has. I can confirm that sst pm25lv010 chip works just fine. Under is picture of wiring and sop8 adapter with vbios on it that can easily be deatached for programming.

post-5713-14494994995888_thumb.jpg

If we get working vbios for g73sw you would not need this :). It is only for recovering failed/wrong vbios flash. If/when we get fix it will be as easy as to connect laptop to external screen via vga output and flash vbios from usb with nvflash :).

I Sent PM to 2 very good modders here that I am willing to donate 100usd for working vbios. If you are willing to join then we will get more presure on those guys :69:

We can remove the post halted command from vBIOS and push 2D clocks and voltage to 3D clocks levels, but PCIe bus will then be limited to 1x as MXM ACPI structure is missing from sBIOS...if you are ready to brick your sBIOS too I can take a look...

Thanks for fast and direct answer. Not sure if my programmer supports sbios chip on motherboard and if I going to tinker with it then i have to desolder it first and take whole backup as it seems to holds serial number and some other stufs not contained in generic bios file from asus. No other way around? They already moded 660m vbios to work on asus g73jw which is same just with older intel processor series.

Since you are prepared with your programmer I am sure svl7 can become very creative... :Banane37:

You have a Dell 2GB card, right? Also what is the next higher up Asus model that has the GTX680M working?

I choosed to try this route first and now I am all ready with deatachable vbios chip. If I begin to solder wires on motherboard to, it going to be bit messy. No its 4Gb card and I suspect it was from MSI maybe as it came with their vbios on it. There is none asus laptop with gtx 680m. Newest series is g75vx with 670mx inside.

If you remove halt post will laptop load windows then?