Can We upgrade G73SW GPU?

andrewff2

ok, so I removed the video card (empty vga slot now) and reassembled and powered on the system. I get the wifi light on the front base, and the keyboard rest shows the caps and number lock on solid, as well as the 3 lights in that upper left panel. tapping the caps lock key does nothing. no lights changing, no hard drive light showing. I didn't touch the 460m vbios. actually, the card looks pristine. I've been very careful, and the card looks fine, but removing the x-bracket was the most traumatic thing I've done to it so I presumed it would be the issue. In hindsight, I realize it was really stupid to start changing the modded vbios with a hex editor back to the original vbios to see when the internal lcd kicked back on (as it worked with the original vbios) since I have no idea what I was changing. (live and learn, I guess). If it's true that the vbios is also tied into or stored within the sbios also, that may be how I've screwed up the system. again, i'm completely guessing here (my donkey ears are flapping) so any brainstorming or feedback is greatly appreciated. maybe i'm completely wrong. I do see clips on ebay to allow in circuit reprogramming of bios chips, so maybe that is a better way to go than just replacing the chips? but if replacing the vbios and maybe even sbios chips will solve my problem.... i'm all for it. jmhdj you also mentioned that i'll lose my win7 key from the sbios if I replace that. thank you for that info. I do have the sticker with the key number still on the bottom of the laptop base, so I'm thinking if I go that route and I should just be able to retype the key in? (like on a desktop). I downloaded an iso file to do a clean install on the ssd drive and used that key and it worked, so hopefully I can do this when I replace the chip? if it isn't the vbios/sbios chip then I don't know what the issue. the system looks pristine otherwise and I have been really careful...but who knows.....

Any updates IshouldGo? I dont know what else you sould try to diagnose motherboard blindly.

Wait for new vbios chip so try first with that. If no progress then try with sbios reprograming.

On my side, there are small steps forward. Picture on internal screen is working fine everything else also works just fine besides gpu core was limited to max 150mhz. But we managed to overclock it to 300mhz. And 3dmark11 scored total 2996 points with graphics score of 2745 which is clearly better than I couls get with overclocked 460m.

post-5713-14494995411005_thumb.jpg

Update unlocked core to 640mhz 700mhz memory and runned 3dmark11 benchmak

73 Max temp

154 Max watts from wall

Thats awesome JMHDJ!!!!

Did you change anything more than the not working lcd? Like powerbrick or anything inside the notebook??

Because the heatsink, inf files and vbios changes are a must to make it work am i right?!?!?

Excellent. Great job jmhdj!! I'm still working on mine. Obviously andrewff2 - if jmhdj has his working well that is the best investment to go with. Very nice. :) I may have to take a summer break shortly for school but will hopefully get mine in order in August.

I've been following these projects as I am interested in upgrading my card, also. You all give me hope.

Quick question: what is the difference between the G73SW and my JW?

Difference is in chipset I think as JW has Clarksfield and SW has Sandy Bridge microarchitecture. But AS we are talking about gpu Upgrade same GPUs that work on sw will 99% work on JW models and vice versa. With same modifications to get them to work on ofcourse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello

I would like to upgrade my Asus g73sw. I would like to install in it gtx 770m. Could anybody help me and people like me, who also want to put this video card, and post link with vbios, which will work. Thanks in advance on behalf of all.

• 6 months later...
I finnished my upgrade and internal lcd is working now. Have installed latest beta 320.14 driver i had to modify inf file though. But core does not go above 150mhz even that gpuz reports normal speeds. Nvidia inspector hwinfo and other programs report that core is not going above 150mhz. Even with 150mhz 680m is on pair with 460m. With 460m I got 1829 points on graphics and with 680m 1920 points. If svl7 read this can you share some thoughts please. I use 670mx vbios from asus g75vxit is only one that posts on internal lcd.

hay jmhdj.

how did you get the g73sw internal lcd working (i meen with your 3D motherbord) did you just use a g73jh (non 3D) lvds cable and it worked?? i just bought this g73sw: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-G73SW-/221456761653?nma=true&si=UQqxRNqPiRE%252BJhnS5AiGwe%252BXpig%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

i just realised it might be a 3d model .... so im wondering how u got it working? ..... if any1 here has the modded vbios for the 4gb 680m send me a pm please thanks :rugby:

• 2 months later...

no not meny mods just a fuw heatsink mods and i still need to add an extra heat pipe temps at for regular use are around 30c - 40c then when gaming it cranks up to 75c to 85c post-1119-14494998183581_thumb.png

post-1119-14494998184435_thumb.png... well the score's are getting better now. thanks to jmhdj who gave me a hand with the drivers and its working better the latest score is around 7450 3dmark11 :

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor,ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Sw

im not planing to overclock it until i get the extra heat pipe added. but i am very happy with its performance.

hi ganjax, no i dont i will take some next time i have it apart. i used parts from a clevo p170m heatsink and asus g73jh heatsink and i still have to add 1 more heat pipe befor i can start to over clock without having to wurry about heat.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello all.

Can you share working vBios for GTX680M 4GB Clevo version to get working this on my G73SW 2D version?

Im looking this for many days but no result, i have already Jh heatsink and stronger ac adapter, now i just need vBios :(

Regards