Can We upgrade G73SW GPU?

andrewff2

I checked now and none of vbios es you sent have vbios version of 670mx from asus g75vx.

I think thats way we should try becouse asus vbios is already optimized for g73sw. Thing that bother me that there is no sign from internal lcd. Maybe I should revert back to 460m just to see if everything is ok with scren or connector on motherboard....

I believe you :)

I am confused that there is no picture on int. lcd even with asus vbios. Should i bother and try 460m back? I am very careful with that screen connector but again who knows ..

- - - Updated - - -

other vbios you sent. Laptop boots keyboard lights up but no post and it freezes after 5 seconds. Freezes as caps lock not light when pressed.

I got it. Thanks! and I just tried to flash from DOS using nvflash v. 5.128. I got the error: PCI subsystem ID mismatch. After reading that several times, I'm thinking its just looking for matching code in the vbios as a failsafe so it knows we're trying to flash our vbios of choice onto the board and not accidentally trying to flash a different vbios? I just sent you a PM w the full error message, but the error says the Firmware image PCI subsystem ID is (1462.10BD) and the adapter PCI subsystem ID is (10DE.1213). I'm thinking its just a safety check looking for them to be the same, but I'm really just guessing here. Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

jmhdj- are you still on your 3d screen or have you tried the 2d screen yet? or is this the adapter between the 3d board connector and a 2d screen?

I believe you :)

I am confused that there is no picture on int. lcd even with asus vbios. Should i bother and try 460m back? I am very careful with that screen connector but again who knows ..

- - - Updated - - -

other vbios you sent. Laptop boots keyboard lights up but no post and it freezes after 5 seconds. Freezes as caps lock not light when pressed.

I tried 2D screen to. Same dreaded black screen. There is no adapter beetwen board and screen. Its just different cable I buyed from ebay. It has exactly same motherboard connector but it is standard 40 pin lvds connector on other side that goes to lcd.

That nvflash mismatch thing is not so dangreous but can lead to bricked vbios. If you testing vbios from svl7 then its probably safe.

I tested now with 460m and it posts fine on 3D screen but on 60hz 40pin lcd is same as with 680m nothing on lcd but works via vga output. I could swear I tested my old g73jh screen on g73sw and it worked but that modell was hannstar. 60hz screen i have now is from auo v5 matte. Here is picture of my lcd connector on motherboard. can you IshouldGo check if it is on same place on your non 3d or is it maybe soldered on that empty spot under?post-5713-14494995077971_thumb.jpg

Looks like non 3d version has lcd connector on other place than mine.

Mine is placed above of the non 3d as it can be seen from pictures. post-5713-14494995079165_thumb.jpg

post-12042-1449499507947_thumb.jpgyes, it looks like mine is soldered on the lower connector slot. this pic isn't that great because the tape and connector cable are on the port, but there's no solder place below it, and i remember my 2 lcd cables being more horizontally aligned and in your pics the right one is much higher than the left. I also flashed the vbios from svl7 and I get the black screen on my lcd now but I can see the image fine on my vga monitor. windows fails to start if i let it startup normally but if I hit f8 and go into safe mode with networking i launches fine. so I'm trying to update the driver but nvidia says its not compatible hardware (I'm sure it just needs a bit more tweaking). it also launches windows fine if I just select f8 then to allow digitally unsigned drivers to load, but nvidia doesn't recognize the card yet to update the drivers for it (n lcd is still black screen). with the original bios windows wouldn't start even in full safe mode so svl7s bios is an improvement.

Ok. Seems that that is where my signal getting lost :). Also if i were you I would ask svl7 to check if you can flash 670m vbios from asus g75 as it has same structure that sbios expects. I tried and flashed 670mx vbios and it works best of all others but for internal lcd. And its even not 680m vbios.

Well I managed to remove internal lcd connector. Was not easy job with soldering iron. I feel my hands are not steady for soldering it to that other port today. Will do it tomorow and post results.

It is last shot I think if that does not fix picture on internal lcd then I am screwed as I dont think that small part can handle one more resoldering. Wish me luck guys..

Ok. Seems that that is where my signal getting lost :). Also if i were you I would ask svl7 to check if you can flash 670m vbios from asus g75 as it has same structure that sbios expects. I tried and flashed 670mx vbios and it works best of all others but for internal lcd. And its even not 680m vbios.

Yes, I did send him a PM to that effect at some point. I have the 2d screen on the other connector and I get the same black lcd screen you do after the vbios mod. so on the stock bios: internal lcd works, can only boot into dos from a usb stick, and have the 30 sec POST delay. after the mod vbios flash I get a black internal screen, but a working external vga monitor screen. I also am able to boot into windows if a hit F2 for the 'safe mode' option and select 'allow unsigned drivers to install'. I also have network connectivity via Ethernet. but the device manager shows the card as a 'generic vga adaptor card' and the NVidia driver updater software can't find 'compatible hardware' and quits so clearly the system still isn't recognizing the card. i'm scratching my head on next moves. I do think at least comparing the vbios to the ASUS G75 vbios might give a clue as to what needs to be added. I tried all the other vbios files for the 670m i could find (dell, clevo, avell, msi) files to no effect. the msi one wouldn't even flash due to the board conflict (using the -6 switch). I don't have an asus vbios for any vga but would love to try one if anyone has one or knows where I can get ahold of one.

If I understand correctly there is no onboard gpu in this system, so even though we're seeing a picture using an external monitor, this is still the new graphics card the system is using to make that picture, so at least its doing that much.

Tested it now and seems that screen is discovered but it still remains black. Vga dont output signal before windows welcome message apears. In windows with hwinfo it reads corectly my AUO screen. I even tested with 3 other displays and all are readed correctly. fn+f8 switch correctly to but scrren remains black. Looks like there are some parts around connector that are missing to so it does not get power for led backlight.

IshouldGo if you can take picture of your motherboard especialy around screen connector on both sides I would be thankfull.

Ill take some pics and post them here. nice work on the connector, it sounds like we're both at the same point, though your vbios may be closer to good than mine. plz PM on the specifics you're looking for in the pics.

I'm hoping for an ASUS G75 vbios to try from svl7 and/or if you've got a copy plz pass it my way. :)

Tested it now and seems that screen is discovered but it still remains black. Vga dont output signal before windows welcome message apears. In windows with hwinfo it reads corectly my AUO screen. I even tested with 3 other displays and all are readed correctly. fn+f8 switch correctly to but scrren remains black. Looks like there are some parts around connector that are missing to so it does not get power for led backlight.

IshouldGo if you can take picture of your motherboard especialy around screen connector on both sides I would be thankfull.

I couldnt manage to get picture on internal screen via other connector either. Was lucky and everything works fine after soldering back screen connector on original place.

With that I take break for at least one week. Have asembled all back as it was before with good old 460m.

To bad that 680m just sitting in my shoes box and dusting :(.

Thanks everyone who have helped me on this road, especialy svl7 that spend his time modding vbios files for me.

I still have sbios chip soldered on sop8 socket so if anyone has need for testing something with bios I will help.

Good luck IshouldGo with your modding.

sorry your change didn't workout jmhdj. I understand the break. I miss my g73 with the old 460m, lol, now. i'm still thinking its a vbios thing and trying to learn about vbios. I wasn't able to take apart the laptop yesterday to get the pics, life got in the way. ill make sure I get them to you tho. I know every step of a project breaks out into 10 more steps. I do hope this works out. i'm not giving up but i'm also not holding my breath on it either. andrewff2 you might decide if you're willing to risk the money at this point or keep it until we get further along with this. I do an internal lcd post, just not windows boot, so all is not lost...yet... I also know the help i'm getting from others is instrumental in the progress i'm making and hope I can help others as well.

Hmmmmm I'm stuck on whatever little HexDecimal string makes the internal lcd invisible in the vbios. :( This is a job for svl7!!!! Where R u svl7??? Help. Prema, do you know this? I have a case of beer lined up to donate to the man, but I've been drinking a few myself in the meantime in frustration! I modded the inf file for the display driver and now it loads flawlessly --just on the external vga out only. the internal lcd (and hdmi out) aren't being found. I'm uploading the screenshots of the gpu-z and hwid pics. I think they show it's all working quite well....with the one exception of the internal lcd. I crawled through the Hex view of the vbios and have no idea how to interpret that to even attempt to fix. the POST screen sequence doesn't even show on the internal lcd. with the original vbios (which would only load into DOS) all text was on the internal lcd. so I figure it's got to be some little tweaky setting in the vbios. and I am miserably ignorant of what strings do what there.

Hope svl7 got a beer crate for all his effort. :Banane35:

Not so my friend! The old card is out, the new card is in, and in the final stages of tweaking to improved gaming FPS. I can even get into windows....it is just a matter of time.... of course, I do have quite a bit of experience with electronics hardware, so am not shy about what I can do and what I can't. I am excited to foray into the gray areas of 'maybe'. the mountain is there....waiting to be climbed....but only for those who need to climb it.....simply because it is there. "Life is in the journey, and not in the finality of the experience." I'm enjoying the experience far more than had I bought an upgrade with it all already in place. But hey, that's just me. Plus I've bought all the parts used/discount, so I'm not even near to what the actual cost would have been, but that's just a bonus. this is really about the project.

From previous experience, you can not even take off the card. I felt as if i would break it when trying to take it out. luckily i had not yet bought an upgrade before trying this. :D

Just an update: I'm just going back and forth between the modified vbios (internal lcd not working--external vga working) and the original vbios (internal lcd working and external vga working, but windows not successfully fully loading/hanging during driver load-now with modified inf file to accept new card.) just a slow mod back and forth process to get windows to load while keeping the internal lcd screen working. jmhdj, since you're taking a break, i'm holding re-disassembling the laptop again until I have the software worked out. then I want to do a last disassembly to use some thermal epoxy to glue on some additional heatsinks for some of the little ics not covered by the modded plate. I'll get the pics then if you still need them...I can feel the finish line it's sooooooo close... and, of course, any (positive plz) suggestions are always appreciated...

post-12042-14494995120109_thumb.jpgpost-12042-14494995120109_thumb.jpg
IshouldGO do you mind send me some pictures?? my email- [email protected], i'm curious to see what changes you made in the VGA mod
sure but here it is. (firefox works to upload pics, ie doesn't for me). just a few pieces needed to be snipped off, and a little bit of filing. this is interim, the gobs of thermal paste will be replaced by thermo epoxy to copper shims once the software is tweaked enough.