Windows 8 --> Worth Updating?

Duna Unha

In my experience, Win8 has had several somewhat minor performance improvements made over 7. Most notably the boot time is faster and in my experience I'm getting better battery life with it on my m14x R1. The UI does take some getting used to, I did not enjoy it at first but given some time I have found it pretty easy to navigate. I would suggest to anyone still on the fence to find a copy of 8 that they can try out and run in a virtual machine to get a taste of it. The UI is going to be the biggest change and you'll either hate it or love it (or hate it but continue to use it until you kind of start to love it.)

hey Duna Unha!

I have used windows 8. it is good so far. but to enjoy it fully you need to have a touchscreen. but if u dont have a touchscreen then windows 7 is way better then windows 8.

I'm currently using windows 8 on mine, I really like it. At first I hated it but I do love how fast boot up and shutdown is. I also got the program to bring back the start button :) Things are running smoothly but maybe I'm just lucky o.O

Im using Windows 8 right now. I got used to it the day i installed it. :) give it a chance! and of course some games wouldn't work at a fresh install, drivers are still being optimized and such as we speak. :) but hey, there are compatibility options for programs and so far, all my necessary programs run smooth on it. :) i recommend upgrading too! just tweak it to your preference and you're ready to go.

ps. the start menu isn't that bad. sure it gets some gettin used to but hey, give it a chance. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I personally dislike windows 8 as a mouse/keyboard user. It was made for a touchscreen and I feel <crippled> with it. I will avoid it and i think is not required.

Yes i have the same opinion. Win 8 is a great system for touching screens, very intuitive and beautiful, although It is hard to me to accustom with this "tiles". Too much win xp and win7 ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Windos 8 seems a bit smoother, yes. But I couldn't get over some issues with networking. I couldn't get it to work with my network printer/scanner and I tried a lot. I hope they fix some of the major glitches soon, it looks promising.

I now love Win8, I loved Win7 too, hated Vista and ME, loved XP SP3.

It's rock solid, no crashing and excellent memory management. I had some memory issues with Win7 when I had 15 or more Chrome tabs open (I'm running 8gb) but I don't anymore with Win8.

Once you get over the interface GUI change and switch off trackpad gestures (to stop menus springing up everywhere during 'normal' usage) then all is great..

My best tip is to use tine Win Key + X as much as possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Haha, esh.

The only logic I can see MS forcing the "Metro" on desktop is to get developers making more apps for the phone/tablet iterations. Seems unsuccessful thus far given the share they have but you gotta start somewhere. I personally think Metro is a great interface/design for their phone. Desktop they are blowing it. I've been using metro on my HTC which I've been pretty happy with. Still has a was to go on more mature android but if MS doesn't crap out like they did with the Zune they might have a chance. Granted I believe they stated Zune was dying cause they were putting all that in their phones. . .

MS seems to be in a rut of lack of innovation, coming late to established markets, and then dumping all before getting established. Oh well, least their security posture has improved a ton and still am happy with most of their product but seems Ill skip this whole Win8/Office 2013 cycle of blocky square design bloat for Desktop.