Carmageddon Reincarnation

Tonrac

00d9ff53-1717-41b7-a583-27ffb2f8b8b8.jpg

Welcome

We discuss here of the funniest and more controversial racing game of all time: " Carmageddon " and of the reboot of the license Carmageddon: Reincarnation

what is carmageddon ? : Carmageddon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Carmageddon spirit, this is:

- huge maps to explore freely (no race in closed circuit )

- The joy of crushing pedestrians in the most original way ... (Note: The ubiquitous black humor, and the dumber bonus / malus defuse what could be an unhealthy aspect of the game)

- A unique physical modeling

- The bonus / malus that make each party are more amazing and more delusional than the previous

- Exceptional Freedom of gaming: 3 ways to win a race: crush all pedestrians of the map or destroy other competing vehicles or simply finish the race first

The kickstarter campaign is no longer the current event

Stainless software (studio behind Carmageddon1 and 2) after fighting to buy the license, called for help to find a second wind to accelerate development of the game, the goal is to bypass the financial classic channels that would never give a penny to this project in these times of "political correctness", or at the price of a untenable censorship .

Extended Goal was reached with $ 625K

If you missed the campaign (no chance, but you can not blame me) the developers have launched a Paypal page to pre-order the game allowing you to access the same goodies as the Kickstarter campaign but until November 4 only, so hurry up:

PayPal Pledges | Carmageddon

If you prefer to support the studio with concrete things, you can buy lots of cool stuff in the Carmageddon universe (T-shirt, stickers, mug, bag ...)

here it goes: Carmageddon - Stainless Games

Some information extracted from the last batch of answers to questions on Kickstarter:

- The modding support is planned

- The cops will of the party, especially with the Oppressor

- Pure LAN multiplayer mode is expected. mode like "Fox and Hound" (play cat and mouse) and mode "kill all pedestrians laughing." Pedestrians will therefore be present in the multi

- Multi again, for the moment, they provide a maximum of 10 cars per circuit, but the question is not closed and modding should help change that.

- The Pratcam (the camera which shows the driver's head) is coming back

- The physical model of the vehicle will be respected (even driving sensation that in carma 1)

- Environments will be huge and there will be hidden bonuses for those who like to explore (Ah! adventure)

- Animals Classic of Carmageddon (penguins, cows ..) will return with all new animals!

- New powerups: like "Pedestrians solid as granite "

- There will be splash marks on car bodies

- There will be leaderboards and Trophies (Steam version only!)

- AI will be improved so that the opponents will act in consequences of player actions

- The game promises to have a very gory management of ragdoll effect on pedestrians

- Multiplayer playable in split-screen coop +

- The release of the game is scheduled for February 2013

Caution The following video is from a "Work in Progress" version, there is no optimization, damage, textures etc are not implemented

The intro of Carmageddon 1 still gives me chills even after 15 years

Carmageddon 1 is available on gog.com and on apple appstore (coming Q1 2013 to android devices)

Finally you are always welcome to share your memories of the saga ...

Official website: Welcome to Carmageddon | Carmageddon

Spread the word

PS: English is not my native language, please be understanding

- - - Updated - - -

Competition to win idevices Carma skin - Paypal closed november 4Th - Go to Tweeter in order to win a free Carmageddon ios copy of the game

For more details: Competition, PayPal, and something FREE! | Carmageddon

• Thumbs Up 1

[h=1]source The Word From Ohnhai: Industrial Injury re-born | Carmageddon

The Word From Ohnhai: Industrial Injury re-born[/h]

Wow! Things have moved at a brisk pace since the Kickstarter came to a thrilling end. Not least of which was Nobby offering me a job as an environment artist on Carma Reincarnation (the company had just come into some money, and so could afford to take on some more artists!). So after a couple of trips down to the island and back for all the usual interview/apartment hunting shenanigans I settle into life back at Stainless.

“Back at Stainless?” I hear you ask. Well yes! WAY BACK in the steamy mists of time, a much younger me secured a job at Stainless ‘Software’ towards the tail end of Carma II (I somehow volunteered myself to the job of sorting out the UI). After Carma II I worked on various other projects with the guys, and then later, when the company’s studio at “The Farm” closed, a group of us headed out to Australia for the next seven years, working together at BlueTongue Entertainment. Then last year we saw the console dev industry of Australia fatally implode… which forced me back to Ol’ Blighty.

Well that’s MORE than enough about me, on with Carma Reincarnation…

[h=3]Industrial reformation.[/h] After my initial ‘get up to speed’ task of breathing some “grey box” life into a new version of the Carma II battle arena ‘Sumo’ (to be revealed in a future blog), nobby was looking for a track to point me at next.

This was initially going to be one of the coastal routes, but after the work done on new-sumo he felt that I could do more with one of the industrial environments (“Industrial A”). Specifically the Nobster liked the way I was treating the low Poly and extremely abstract features of the original geometry and giving them a form and function that – even if not grounded in reality – at least looked as if it could actually work. On New-Sumo this related to paying attention to the new theme selected by Sim (oil-rig) and paying attention to layout and function of the real thing and trying to bring at least a semblance of that into the level.

For the re-vamped Industrial environment I didn’t receive much direction other than ‘the same, but better.’ This minimal approach to directions has a lot to do with the fact that nobby and Sim have been buried in getting the iOS version of Carma 1 ready for release. They also said they could trust me to just get on with it. The Fools!

[h=3]In with the old.[/h] Anyway, step one was getting the original level into the new game to give me something to, quite literally, build on.

old-industrial.jpg

The original industrial environment is just shy of nine thousand polys.

The above image shows the old geometry and textures (handily available from the iOS version). I chucked the grey box texture on it and was running around the old level in minutes. Next came the job of dragging the level geometry kicking and screaming into the current century.

So where to begin? At the start is normally the best place, so to get things going I toyed with setting the look and feel of the new level by concentrating on those big sloping walls at the start.

old-industrial-start.jpg

Ready to race?

Nobby was keen that, while I had licence to change things were they would work better, I strive to keep the flavour and feel of the level intact. After a good trawl of the interwebs for reference I was convinced a nice contemporary ‘concrete and curves’ theme would sell the ‘industrial theme quite nicely. Below is the first sketch of my ideas for the main walls in the first section. I wanted to bring in more structure and form to the level that was, through necessity, excluded from the original. So vents, pipes, windows framing and so on.

industrial-wall-sketch.jpg

The most important feature was the slope of the wall. To tie it into the level a little better I tried filleting it into the floor as if the whole thing is designed to be sluiced down on a regular basis when the overall level of contamination reaches dangerous levels, making the whole area one giant wet-room if you like. A happy side-effect of this is that the car rides up the wall really easy making it even more important that any vertical features don’t project too low. After all no one likes getting snagged on small fiddly details. You shouldn’t get stopped dead by a rivet but if you don’t see and entire house then, well…. A particularly fun move is the ‘stall turn’ where you can run directly up the wall do a narrow turn at the top and then roar back down the concrete in the exact direction you just came from.

From the outset I wanted to have many more curves in the geometry but learned that you can go too far. Not shown here, I played with some alternate shapes for the large wall vents, specifically with them tapering to a sharper point at the base but the result was FAR too suggestive.

new-industrial-start-concept.jpg

A 'Draw-Over’ of the opening straight.

Working into the building on the left I wanted to give it more function and for it to read better as a building so I added elements to give it some external framing and some windows to give it some scale. The horizontal cladding of the upper portion was to make it feel a bit more warehouse/factory. To add further interest and bring in more curves I decided to add the overhead gantries. At one point in the above image I had a pass of the Magnachem logo up on the wall, but it read more like a supermarket than a chemical plant so it had to go.

new-industrial-environment-concept.jpg

The guys who built this place must also have been contracted to build the Death Star. The lack of adequate handrails is quite disturbing.

old-industrial-arches.jpg

Next up were the arches. Clearly these were to transport something up and over the deck but couldn’t be defined better due to the resolution constraints of the era’s technology. I really wanted to maintain the girder and concrete structure. It’s a nice aesthetic. I also was definite I wanted to maintain the structure’s outline.

new-industrial-arches.jpg

New arches

In truth there is no reason why they should have the concrete ‘bumpers’ as the metal framing would be more than enough to do the job, I just think they look good. Extending the pipes beyond the bounds of the original form we create a nice area to drive through out on the wings. I have yet to decide how to neatly tie the pipes into the walls. As you may notice the original track had five arches but the new one only has three. This is mainly to reduce visual clutter when looking down the length of this area. A pleasant bonus of having thinned out the number of arches is that you can now drive around the bases making a nice area for some classic ‘Fox and Hounds’ jousting.

At this point you might have noticed the cooling tower at the end of this area… This comes about because that area in the original was quite a muddled space with no real reason for the bowled floor. It took me a little while to figure out how to make sense of the original geometry. I could have altered it, made it flat, but having to break very early due to the slope to make either exit is a key feature of this part of the track, and so I really wanted to maintain the dip.

old-industrial-bowl.jpg

As this area is sort of round, and dished, I was put in mind of the large cooling towers you tend to see at power plants. Also the internal floor structure that was installed in one such cooling tower for the film Brazil had some interesting forms that I felt worthy of referencing in some way; most notably the raised floor. I first sketched the cooling tower into the concept illustration (above) and with the chemical fog that evolved, the tower quickly took on characteristics that are evocative of the atmosphere processor from the movie Aliens... Especially with the entrance framed by the pipe arches.

new-industrial-tower.jpg

"How long till it blows?"

Finally in this first look at the new Industrial Environment we will take a look at the Docks area. Basically into the Processor there and turn left.

old-industrial-docks.jpg

In the old version the docks were a reasonably open area with a few containers scattered around as obstacles. In the new version this area has become far more functionally a container port.

new-industrial-docks-sketch.jpg

A quick sketch of the dockside buildings. Trying to blend the old red brick warehouse structures with the concrete and curves theme of the rest of the level.

new-industrial-docks.jpg

new-industrial-docks-boat.jpg

When building this area I was convinced that it was going to be too small to accommodate a typical container ship. Those things are HUGE, right? Anyway I laid out the ship with my containers, that are already over-scale to look right in scene, and what do you know, it’s a perfect fit! (nobby wants to race round on top of it now…)

Currently the land bound containers are static geometry but in the final version they are going to be accessories so it should be possible to knock a stack over onto your opponents…

Anyway that’s about it for now. Got to get on with grey-boxing the second half.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today, i repaired an injustice.

When Carmageddon II was released in 1998, i couldn't play this game legally cause it was censured in France. 15 years later, i can ...

Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now for download $9.99 - GOG.com

Edit: Stainless organized an AMA on Reddit and if you send a message to that user (bot: http://www.reddit.com/user/GOGaway) you will receive a GOG key for Carmageddon 1 and the splat pack. There are 50000 key available, just send a private message to the user.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I purchased this on Friday. It ran really lumpy at 1920x1080 on my Y510P laptop, but dropping down to 720p was playable. I'm waiting for my Xbox controller for Windows to arrive so I can give it a proper bash. I loved the original game.

Now we just need someone to remake Dethkarz!

• 11 months later...

I am late but here's the news about the relesase date: CR will be unleashed the 23/04 :

Carmageddon | RELEASE DATE NEWS!

Like you, i hope that the final release will correct all the bug and reduce the loading time of the level ...

Release Date news! : carmageddon

baizon 2 points 1 jour de ça

"From today's livestream. There won't be any update until release. So the next update will be on the April 23rd. No specific info about the changes. The devs told, that on the livestream next week they will show the "newer" build with fixes and optimizations.

No new maps or cars until release, but after that there will be DLCs(not confirmed) and modding."

On an other note, have you seen this thread:

Every Carmageddon Game Compilation (Including unreleased games) : Carmageddon | Every Carmageddon Game Compilation (Including unreleased games)

(2003) (Visual Science) Carmageddon 4 (PC, Xbox, PS2) screen capture and concept art : Carmageddon | Every Carmageddon Game Compilation (Including unreleased games)

(2007) (Eidos/Pseudo Interactive) Crude Awakening (Xbox360, PS3) : Crude Awakening [X360/PS3 - Cancelled] - Unseen64

I found the Crude Awakening Concept Art amazing, it's sad that the project was cancelled

For some of us that didn't read the carma forum here are some reply from Nobby concerning the Bêta (04/02 and 17/02):

Wed, 04/02/2015 - 18:57

Okay – nob’s big list o’ replies…

@everyone. The music. The original game featured the tracks by Fear Factory and electronic tracks by Lee Groves. When we first announced C:R, I was approached by a lot of musicians keen to get their music in the game. Among them were two huge fans of Carmageddon, Morgue (Morgan Hulston) and a two man outfit called Maximum Sexy Pigeon (Yok and Ad, from Sydney Aus). Right from the off, these guys – when their music was combined – sounded like a great contemporary update to that original soundtrack sound.

We chose that Morgue track for the video because it’s got a sorta “fucked-up funny” vibe to it that fits the action on-screen.

But forget video background music… What you need to do is hear it in the game. It works. So, haters are gonna hate some styles of music, but I have wide and varied tastes and this stuff does it for me (as an aside, Shane professed to hate “Dubstep”, but he also loves the sound of Morgue’s tracks as a fitting accompaniment to the game). Bottom line – we all think it works great. If you don’t like the music, then stick your own tracks in instead.

@Sourceseeker: We always try to balance realism with silliness/humour/fun. So, the sound effects, gore effects and reactions are all made deliberately over-the-top. We aren’t a slaughter simulator. If you want that, try other products. We’re all about having massive LOLs at the chaos you can create. (See Trent’s reply too – we’ve added all the detail that we can to the game, and have to stop somewhere!)

Your question about falling blood/parts adding to the blood splats on the car. Well, we have to stop somewhere with the decals, and in the case of cars the ped needs to splat onto the bodywork for it to get smeared with a blood decal. And even then, it’s not precise.

Regarding updates, we’re going to restart Twitch from the second week of February and it’ll include interviews with team members as well as showcasing the game during Beta.

@Riorus: I’m sorry you’re disappointed, because we all genuinely feel that the game has come on hugely since Pre-Alpha. What I fully admit it hasn’t done is become a Triple-A title. There was never going to be the time or budget for that to happen. The peds are final. Their lighting is a bit broken at the moment and there are bugs with their bits and blood splats disappearing (all of which will be fixed), but there’s no plans (i.e. no time) to develop them anymore.

@Bloodstability: “Stainless - Not a AAA game developer.” Quite. I can’t disagree with your blunt summary of our current portfolio. Give us the budget and we could be – but that will come with the success of C:R and subsequent titles.

@Psyrgery: The video build is a week or so behind the current one. But it’s Beta, stuff is still bugged and being fixed. For instance, the lighting of peds isn’t right at the moment. Nor is scene shadows, they’re all over the bloody place! And as for blood splats, there’s a z-sorting problem that means there are thousands of them, but as the camera moves they disappear. All will be fixed.

@Mad Max RW: Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated… :)

@ MemoryKill: There’s never been any plan for Big Dump in the game, Don is the largest (Siamese Dream is the widest!). We’re confident that it’ll get added by the community before we get a chance to add it into a later vehicle pack…

Some vehicle tech – six wheel and tracked vehicles – is still being worked on. Ditto car-splitting (what looks like car-splitting in the video is just extreme damage). They’re all on Patrick to code. He’s been quite busy…

Beta will last… sorry, I can’t tell you that at the moment, as discussions on not only the completion date but also the release date strategy are still going on here.

@KevinKC (and other in-car camera fans): Sorry guys. The in-car view is set up in replay for Dramatic Effect. I’m pretty sure (fingers crossed) that the lua imps will enable you to set up your own view (eventually). But the Beta only has 3rd person and bumper cam during play.

And your later question about the cow disappearing… It could be a combination of fast-moving action and frame-rate. The cow got totally gibbed by the car and it’s parts flew off VERY fast! (But we also have various bugs being worked on where bits and blood splats don’t show up, in game and in Action Replay.)

@DV-13: The track on the video is called “Colossus”.

@starbuck: The minimum specs for the game haven’t moved. And the game runs great on a minimum spec PC so long as you treat it as a minimum spec PC and set the options accordingly. The game suffers visually but still plays well.

@the pig: The peds don’t explode at the slightest touch, although there’s still work going on to make sure they’re the right balance of solid/explody. It’s not just about tech either, it’s about the right comedy effect. I can completely sympathise however with someone feeling disappointed that the peds are a feature of the game that look some way off being state-of-the-art. Because it’s an area where the game not being a triple-A budget title is evident.

I don’t agree with your views on the physics though. They’re better than C1 or C2.

@FatCat: Max or Anna? Of course! I choose ANNA every time. :) (There’s a bug in at the moment where you get the Eagle no matter who you choose. No-one noticed!)

@TwIsTeDMiNd: PUps explode, but I’ve asked if we can revisit the effect as it’s a bit… SuperHappySparklesWorld. Yes, peds should be blackened. Grass may or may not appear more than now, it’s in a “would be nice” list of detail stuff. “Emptiness” is a balance of overall ped counts on a map and where they all spawn; spread too thin and everywhere looks too sparce; too many peds and the level will take a month to load and then your PC will explode. Devil’s Canyon isn’t in Beta. ETA of tracked vehicles is still unknown, but they’re coming…

@KakkaHousu: The Autoscum gang was only ever represented by an icon – it wasn’t intended to show the entire gang. The previously unseen member driving Razor is called Nora Virus. :)

@Epitaph: Glad you mentioned FatCat’s question about the Pratcam, because I missed it. I am sad to announce that the Pratcam is out. There’s several reasons for this. 1. It didn’t fit into the HUD well. 2. It was something some of us wanted, others didn’t. And because it was another task in a bulging task list, it got shunted further and further down the list till it fell off. 3. There was a disconnect between a video Pratcam and a model inside the car. It didn’t work well. There’s more reasons, but these are the headlines.

@Peti_Somorja: Love the Alfa SZ – I put it in the Splat Pack because I think it’s one of the best looking cars evah. And Tez was clearly inspired too, looking at the front of the Tez Eagle for KS Backers…

@Fuel: “Also was that a reference to Flynns' Arcade from Tron that I noticed in there as "Glynn's Arcade"?” I have no idea, but I suspect it’s more likely one of the artists sneaking in their name again…

@YautjaLord: Yes, there’s a music folder that you’ll be able to replace/add MP3 tracks to.

@Veritas: No, the Public Beta isn’t free!! (But, you’ll still get the other 3 Carma games free with it, while C:R’s in Beta!)

@Fuel: The KS Tez Eagle won’t be in the Beta, it’ll be available when the full game launches.

@Doktor Man: Our marketing will ramp up with Beta to full release. But we’re a small studio with a small budget. And we don’t get to call the tune on the game being a main highlight on the Store – we work with Valve to get promos like that arranged. They’re looking after us though, we have had daily deals and promo features on the Store.

@Everyone asking about Wrecked meaning “end of event” in Hard mode… Nope, we’re not doing it. The consensus here is that it’s just too annoying, and would change the balance of the game too much. If you’re wasted (and don’t repair, but wait to get respawned) then you lose all your collected PUps. If you’re wasted and repair, you keep the PUps but it costs a fortune!

@Simbel: There’s never been a plan for co-op Career. I don’t think it would work particularly well anyway, TBH, as the games aren’t team oriented.

So, that’s yer lot for the moment. Holler if I left out an answer to your burning question!

#114 Submitted: Tue, 17/02/2015 - 12:20

Hey there all!

Well, so far it seems that things are going generally well and a large proportion of players are getting to play the Beta – but of course with a world of different PC configs out there there’s always going to be a significant number of problems encountered. The “data mismatch” problem does appear to be widespread and a total PITA for MP, and we’re looking into this one as extra-urgent to fix.

So, please keep your feedback coming in via the support ticket system – we have a dedicated team of QA and support bods working on that here, answering tickets and passing bugs on to Prod and Tools ‘n’ Tech. Hopefully we can get many of them sorted ASAP. This will mean the game will be patched/updated again sometime soon (so don’t get too attached to that Career progression, it’s possible it may be lost in the update).

As well as the bugs, we’re also listening to feedback to inform gameplay issues and comments that are coming in too.

So, to answer some of your comments/questions directly (although I won’t deal too much with technical issues in this reply – as these should be handled through our support system):

@Matt (#16): the obtrusive position of Wrecked messages at 720p – it’s a good point, we’ll look into that. How did you find it when scaled to higher res? BTW (he said, immediately drifting into “support” area advice!), there’s anecdotal evidence that windowed mode is inferior to full-screen, and may have a detrimental effect on load times. But this is still being assessed here (and could also tie in with certain background programmes such as Fraps running).

@YautjaLord (#53): No Upgrade Tokens on Hard? Well, they’re the only way to Upgrade, so hopefully they do turn up! Basically as soon as your car has upgrade slots unlocked, tokens will appear in-game to be collected. Let me know if they did – if not I’ll bug it.

@Rippthrough (#66 & 70 & 73 & 101): People cheating in MP? How so? If there’s genuine exploits, let us know (I’m sure there always will be). We’ve had some experience with the QA guys farming laps on Death Race by hanging around with PUps waiting to kill drivers with laps to steal – but that’s part of the new gameplay, you have to fight back!

“It needs some push to talk settings or something for MP communication” You can mute them by clicking on the speaker icon in the lobby (I didn’t even know this till Shane told me just now!). Basically it’s currently not implemented that well!

“it's not much fun staring at your car for 10 minutes after a game you've just won whilst it lets everyone else finish, at least let us spectate.” I completely agree. Hopefully spectatoring will be possible.

“Nail a mirror above your monitor.” LOL!

@King_Lucifer (#74): The camera wasn’t changed between Pre-Alpha and Beta. You can alter the camera from the Pause menu, to get it more to your taste.

@Epitaph (#84): Glad you’re enjoying the game – thanks for all the feedback/bug reports/comments.

I’d like the barrels to sound more “explodey” too!

I’ve also commented to Dev about the laggy menus.

“I was in the war!” is in there (I re-recorded it specially for this game!), but a lot of ped sounds are playing very quietly at the moment.

Appearing/disappearing PUps is known and bugged.

@Ka-Boom (#92): “stampede is fantastic” heh glad you’re enjoying it too.

@YautjaLord (#113): I’m not sure I’ve completely understood your question, but if I did then yes – as long as you have cars in your garage with empty Upgrade slots that can be filled (bearing in mind you’re only allowed to fill 12/15 slots in each car), then Upgrade Tokens will spawn in the levels – even once the Career game is “finished” – until all your cars’ Upgrade slots are filled.

To finish the game 100% you have to complete every event plus every Classic Carma event all three ways too. I haven’t done it yet (I’ve finished the game up to completing every event once, including Chapter 16, three times so far) – I’m waiting until final release before I settle down to a total completionist run-through.

I must add as a postscript how much we all appreciate the participation of the whole Carma community in the Public Beta (and apologise for the pain it's caused some of you) - because it really is massively helpful for us and will help immeasurably towards making the game as good as it can be.

- - - Updated - - -

For some of us that didn't read the carma forum here are some reply from Nobby concerning the Bêta (04/02 and 17/02):

Wed, 04/02/2015 - 18:57

Okay – nob’s big list o’ replies…

@everyone. The music. The original game featured the tracks by Fear Factory and electronic tracks by Lee Groves. When we first announced C:R, I was approached by a lot of musicians keen to get their music in the game. Among them were two huge fans of Carmageddon, Morgue (Morgan Hulston) and a two man outfit called Maximum Sexy Pigeon (Yok and Ad, from Sydney Aus). Right from the off, these guys – when their music was combined – sounded like a great contemporary update to that original soundtrack sound.

We chose that Morgue track for the video because it’s got a sorta “fucked-up funny” vibe to it that fits the action on-screen.

But forget video background music… What you need to do is hear it in the game. It works. So, haters are gonna hate some styles of music, but I have wide and varied tastes and this stuff does it for me (as an aside, Shane professed to hate “Dubstep”, but he also loves the sound of Morgue’s tracks as a fitting accompaniment to the game). Bottom line – we all think it works great. If you don’t like the music, then stick your own tracks in instead.

@Sourceseeker: We always try to balance realism with silliness/humour/fun. So, the sound effects, gore effects and reactions are all made deliberately over-the-top. We aren’t a slaughter simulator. If you want that, try other products. We’re all about having massive LOLs at the chaos you can create. (See Trent’s reply too – we’ve added all the detail that we can to the game, and have to stop somewhere!)

Your question about falling blood/parts adding to the blood splats on the car. Well, we have to stop somewhere with the decals, and in the case of cars the ped needs to splat onto the bodywork for it to get smeared with a blood decal. And even then, it’s not precise.

Regarding updates, we’re going to restart Twitch from the second week of February and it’ll include interviews with team members as well as showcasing the game during Beta.

@Riorus: I’m sorry you’re disappointed, because we all genuinely feel that the game has come on hugely since Pre-Alpha. What I fully admit it hasn’t done is become a Triple-A title. There was never going to be the time or budget for that to happen. The peds are final. Their lighting is a bit broken at the moment and there are bugs with their bits and blood splats disappearing (all of which will be fixed), but there’s no plans (i.e. no time) to develop them anymore.

@Bloodstability: “Stainless - Not a AAA game developer.” Quite. I can’t disagree with your blunt summary of our current portfolio. Give us the budget and we could be – but that will come with the success of C:R and subsequent titles.

@Psyrgery: The video build is a week or so behind the current one. But it’s Beta, stuff is still bugged and being fixed. For instance, the lighting of peds isn’t right at the moment. Nor is scene shadows, they’re all over the bloody place! And as for blood splats, there’s a z-sorting problem that means there are thousands of them, but as the camera moves they disappear. All will be fixed.

@Mad Max RW: Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated… :)

@ MemoryKill: There’s never been any plan for Big Dump in the game, Don is the largest (Siamese Dream is the widest!). We’re confident that it’ll get added by the community before we get a chance to add it into a later vehicle pack…

Some vehicle tech – six wheel and tracked vehicles – is still being worked on. Ditto car-splitting (what looks like car-splitting in the video is just extreme damage). They’re all on Patrick to code. He’s been quite busy…

Beta will last… sorry, I can’t tell you that at the moment, as discussions on not only the completion date but also the release date strategy are still going on here.

@KevinKC (and other in-car camera fans): Sorry guys. The in-car view is set up in replay for Dramatic Effect. I’m pretty sure (fingers crossed) that the lua imps will enable you to set up your own view (eventually). But the Beta only has 3rd person and bumper cam during play.

And your later question about the cow disappearing… It could be a combination of fast-moving action and frame-rate. The cow got totally gibbed by the car and it’s parts flew off VERY fast! (But we also have various bugs being worked on where bits and blood splats don’t show up, in game and in Action Replay.)

@DV-13: The track on the video is called “Colossus”.

@starbuck: The minimum specs for the game haven’t moved. And the game runs great on a minimum spec PC so long as you treat it as a minimum spec PC and set the options accordingly. The game suffers visually but still plays well.

@the pig: The peds don’t explode at the slightest touch, although there’s still work going on to make sure they’re the right balance of solid/explody. It’s not just about tech either, it’s about the right comedy effect. I can completely sympathise however with someone feeling disappointed that the peds are a feature of the game that look some way off being state-of-the-art. Because it’s an area where the game not being a triple-A budget title is evident.

I don’t agree with your views on the physics though. They’re better than C1 or C2.

@FatCat: Max or Anna? Of course! I choose ANNA every time. :) (There’s a bug in at the moment where you get the Eagle no matter who you choose. No-one noticed!)

@TwIsTeDMiNd: PUps explode, but I’ve asked if we can revisit the effect as it’s a bit… SuperHappySparklesWorld. Yes, peds should be blackened. Grass may or may not appear more than now, it’s in a “would be nice” list of detail stuff. “Emptiness” is a balance of overall ped counts on a map and where they all spawn; spread too thin and everywhere looks too sparce; too many peds and the level will take a month to load and then your PC will explode. Devil’s Canyon isn’t in Beta. ETA of tracked vehicles is still unknown, but they’re coming…

@KakkaHousu: The Autoscum gang was only ever represented by an icon – it wasn’t intended to show the entire gang. The previously unseen member driving Razor is called Nora Virus. :)

@Epitaph: Glad you mentioned FatCat’s question about the Pratcam, because I missed it. I am sad to announce that the Pratcam is out. There’s several reasons for this. 1. It didn’t fit into the HUD well. 2. It was something some of us wanted, others didn’t. And because it was another task in a bulging task list, it got shunted further and further down the list till it fell off. 3. There was a disconnect between a video Pratcam and a model inside the car. It didn’t work well. There’s more reasons, but these are the headlines.

@Peti_Somorja: Love the Alfa SZ – I put it in the Splat Pack because I think it’s one of the best looking cars evah. And Tez was clearly inspired too, looking at the front of the Tez Eagle for KS Backers…

@Fuel: “Also was that a reference to Flynns' Arcade from Tron that I noticed in there as "Glynn's Arcade"?” I have no idea, but I suspect it’s more likely one of the artists sneaking in their name again…

@YautjaLord: Yes, there’s a music folder that you’ll be able to replace/add MP3 tracks to.

@Veritas: No, the Public Beta isn’t free!! (But, you’ll still get the other 3 Carma games free with it, while C:R’s in Beta!)

@Fuel: The KS Tez Eagle won’t be in the Beta, it’ll be available when the full game launches.

@Doktor Man: Our marketing will ramp up with Beta to full release. But we’re a small studio with a small budget. And we don’t get to call the tune on the game being a main highlight on the Store – we work with Valve to get promos like that arranged. They’re looking after us though, we have had daily deals and promo features on the Store.

@Everyone asking about Wrecked meaning “end of event” in Hard mode… Nope, we’re not doing it. The consensus here is that it’s just too annoying, and would change the balance of the game too much. If you’re wasted (and don’t repair, but wait to get respawned) then you lose all your collected PUps. If you’re wasted and repair, you keep the PUps but it costs a fortune!

@Simbel: There’s never been a plan for co-op Career. I don’t think it would work particularly well anyway, TBH, as the games aren’t team oriented.

So, that’s yer lot for the moment. Holler if I left out an answer to your burning question!

#114 Submitted: Tue, 17/02/2015 - 12:20

Hey there all!

Well, so far it seems that things are going generally well and a large proportion of players are getting to play the Beta – but of course with a world of different PC configs out there there’s always going to be a significant number of problems encountered. The “data mismatch” problem does appear to be widespread and a total PITA for MP, and we’re looking into this one as extra-urgent to fix.

So, please keep your feedback coming in via the support ticket system – we have a dedicated team of QA and support bods working on that here, answering tickets and passing bugs on to Prod and Tools ‘n’ Tech. Hopefully we can get many of them sorted ASAP. This will mean the game will be patched/updated again sometime soon (so don’t get too attached to that Career progression, it’s possible it may be lost in the update).

As well as the bugs, we’re also listening to feedback to inform gameplay issues and comments that are coming in too.

So, to answer some of your comments/questions directly (although I won’t deal too much with technical issues in this reply – as these should be handled through our support system):

@Matt (#16): the obtrusive position of Wrecked messages at 720p – it’s a good point, we’ll look into that. How did you find it when scaled to higher res? BTW (he said, immediately drifting into “support” area advice!), there’s anecdotal evidence that windowed mode is inferior to full-screen, and may have a detrimental effect on load times. But this is still being assessed here (and could also tie in with certain background programmes such as Fraps running).

@YautjaLord (#53): No Upgrade Tokens on Hard? Well, they’re the only way to Upgrade, so hopefully they do turn up! Basically as soon as your car has upgrade slots unlocked, tokens will appear in-game to be collected. Let me know if they did – if not I’ll bug it.

@Rippthrough (#66 & 70 & 73 & 101): People cheating in MP? How so? If there’s genuine exploits, let us know (I’m sure there always will be). We’ve had some experience with the QA guys farming laps on Death Race by hanging around with PUps waiting to kill drivers with laps to steal – but that’s part of the new gameplay, you have to fight back!

“It needs some push to talk settings or something for MP communication” You can mute them by clicking on the speaker icon in the lobby (I didn’t even know this till Shane told me just now!). Basically it’s currently not implemented that well!

“it's not much fun staring at your car for 10 minutes after a game you've just won whilst it lets everyone else finish, at least let us spectate.” I completely agree. Hopefully spectatoring will be possible.

“Nail a mirror above your monitor.” LOL!

@King_Lucifer (#74): The camera wasn’t changed between Pre-Alpha and Beta. You can alter the camera from the Pause menu, to get it more to your taste.

@Epitaph (#84): Glad you’re enjoying the game – thanks for all the feedback/bug reports/comments.

I’d like the barrels to sound more “explodey” too!

I’ve also commented to Dev about the laggy menus.

“I was in the war!” is in there (I re-recorded it specially for this game!), but a lot of ped sounds are playing very quietly at the moment.

Appearing/disappearing PUps is known and bugged.

@Ka-Boom (#92): “stampede is fantastic” heh glad you’re enjoying it too.

@YautjaLord (#113): I’m not sure I’ve completely understood your question, but if I did then yes – as long as you have cars in your garage with empty Upgrade slots that can be filled (bearing in mind you’re only allowed to fill 12/15 slots in each car), then Upgrade Tokens will spawn in the levels – even once the Career game is “finished” – until all your cars’ Upgrade slots are filled.

To finish the game 100% you have to complete every event plus every Classic Carma event all three ways too. I haven’t done it yet (I’ve finished the game up to completing every event once, including Chapter 16, three times so far) – I’m waiting until final release before I settle down to a total completionist run-through.

I must add as a postscript how much we all appreciate the participation of the whole Carma community in the Public Beta (and apologise for the pain it's caused some of you) - because it really is massively helpful for us and will help immeasurably towards making the game as good as it can be.

An interesting thread about users performance feedback

Carmageddon | Share your performance reports here

What i can see is that majority of users that had performance issue have an AMD system (CPU and/or Gpu) or use an old video card ... BTW the game need too much "horsepower" ...

But, don't hesitate to read this topic to make your own idea and see if the game can run fluently on your rigs and with what settings

One Stainless programmer contribution:

"Submitted: Thu, 19/02/2015 - 00:50

Hello,

dev from the beautiful Isle of Wight here*.

I'm one of the graphics programmer directly involved on the development of the engine** in Stainless, so if you have question you can ask.

If people keeps the discussion polite I'll keep posting*** some tips / internal or explain why some stuff are strange / horrible or "Why the computer start eating my laundry after running C:R?"

I'm on the graphic side, so if you ask me about physics/multiplayer probably I have to ask around. Geese.. I don't even know all the game mode that we have.

First thing to say is THANKS A LOT, this thread is pure gold for me. So having performance data from all this variety of hardware is AWESOME (ask why game company prefer to develop on console).

As some of you said we are using UMBRA for culling (the same as Destiny). Is awesome and uber-fast BUT the umbra culling is not currently "enabled" on the cubemap. So using reflection on anything but low will perform the culling is a very old style mode and I can assure is very slow.. no really there is no cleaver solution there, just brute force (7ms to check the visibility of the scene). Low reflection quality is a static cubemap (non HDR).. a bit sad but fast.

Yes, we are using multiple core to do "stuff".. but the engine is quite old and we still have to parallelize some other "stuff". But we are a small team so things evolve quite slowly. Running stuff in parallel can create bad crash (hard to debug, hard to find) if not done correctly.

Also most of the physics run in parallel, but apart from some case (like pinball mode where everything in the map is active or huge crash) is not a bottleneck. Moving 1000 pedestrian is quite demanding and the absence of peds and AI is the cause of the higher framerate in multiplayer.

Peds, Physics and AI become a problem with low spec CPU. We are not doing any ninja GPU trick on the game side (maybe later? who know?).

As you can see the game run A LOT faster on card with a lot of VRAM... yep, the virtual texturing is quite demanding and the *driver* have to transfer a lot of data.

If you have 1GiB I suggest to set the visual quality to low, it will reduce the size of the texture and the bandwidth consumed by DirectX. Cars texture are not streamed, cause the position of the car is quite unpredictable, we had no gain in streaming the car textures. Sorry Espyo but is really hard to support a Card with only 512MiB when only one texture for the car is almost 50MiB.

Shadows is another demanding part of the game... not because are very beautiful or complex but cause we are rendering a lot of them. Sorry again, this part has not properly optimized yet. Was better than before but still require some work. At some point during the development we were rendering a shadow-maps for every lamp on the level.. LOL :-V

I'm surprised by someone saying that removing SSAO increase the performance. That take less than one ms on my GTX760 and even less to apply it.

Someone was complaining that there wasn't any gain from the beta. Yes, we optimized the game but we also added new content, so yes, in some cases you can had even a degradation of the performance.

Anyway, at the moment the game is actually stalled by a lot of "interaction" between the CPU and the GPU, so yes, we are not using all your expensive hardware at 100%, we hope to fix this bug soon. But as you may notice a lot of game company have nVidia or AMD support to develop the game (they have the vendor symbol at the on the opening) and they know exactly what the driver and windows is doing, in some case they release a custom driver with the "upgrade" for the game with 10~20% of performance gain.

We are not Ubisoft or EA, so we don't have the power to change the driver. Hopefully if the game become very popular (finger cross) some engineer at nVidia that like kill peds will release a patch for us.

Sorry if it take so long, but developing a game without Unreal 4 is a complex task (is complex even with UE4 but at least the graphics is already done).

PS: With the latest patch I remove a bug that making the game stutter on the first lap, is noticeable?

* citation needed. No really I'm from Stainless. You can find my name in the credits. Oh.. yes, I could have watched the credits and create an account with that name. anyway.. if you don't believe me I don't mind.

** in my defence I'm here only since one year. :-/

***if they don't fire me cause this post.

• 4 weeks later...

Carmageddon | New Update hopefully coming on Friday!

"

Announced on the Twitch stream today, Reincarnation should hopefully be getting it's penultimate update on THIS Friday before the May 21st release, providing it makes it through testing without any massive issues.

So what does this update contain?

Performance

- General multiplayer improvements - big reduction in desync issues.

- Big reduction in crashes. (The bad type that kill the game, not the good type to kill your opponents.)

- General performance improvements overall.

- Big improvements to virtual texture performance.

- Improvements to visual settings options. There should be considerable performance increases whatever level your PC is using.

Balance

- Car specs tweaked.

- Car upgrades also tweaked. Tweaked is a funny word.

- AI pathfinding improved.

- General AI behaviour tweaked and improved. (There's that word again...)

- Levels improved. Some race routes changed to work better.

- Power-up selection and placement also improved, especially in mulriplayer where there will no longer be an amazing surplus of Lunar Gravity pickups.

- Power-up bug fixes.

- Max Multiplayer players set to 6. Both improves performance and makes the game less of a cluster♥♥♥♥.

Ambience

- Rims and skins can actually be unlocked now.

- Music files are now moved to a non-validated folder. This makes them moddable without locking yourself out of multiplayer. Add or remove any tracks you want. Fine, take out the dubstep, you're the ones missing out!

- A new engine volume slider! Turn down the engine volume and actually HEAR those peds scream.

Frontend and UI

- Steam cloud save support implemented.

- Improved localizations.

- Lots of achievement and challenge fixes."

"shane wrote:

Hey guys. For those that watched our Twitch on Wednesday you'll know we had hoped to get a new update out to you today. Unfortunately we've had two issues that have forced us to delay this update. One of these has already been fixed but didn't make it into the build for testing and the other involved Steam Cloud saving and would have caused players to lose their save data.

Once again, apologies for the delay - we hope to be able to update you further on the situation early next week."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Loading time are quite long, indeed

Beta update is here Carmageddon | The FINAL UPDATE

So, what’s new in this final Update prior to full release? Well, here’s a summary:

Multiplayer

• General performance improvements
  • Significant improvement in game stability
  • Significant reduction in crashes (the bad sort, not the fun sort)
  • MP max count set to 6 cars*

Multiplayer is the area of the game most beneficially served by this Update. You should find that the experience is FUN FUNNER FUNNEST!

Improvements to cars

• Tweaks to cars’ comparative specs and performance
  • Tweaks to car Upgrades
  • Rims and Skins unlocking works

Improvements to AI

• AI Pathfinding
  • AI general behaviour

Improvements to Levels

• Tweaks to race routes
  • PUp placement and selection

Improvements to PUps

• Bug fixes
  • Tweaks to timings and frequencies

Tech Improvements

• Improvements to Virtual Texture performance
  • Improvements to Visual Settings options

Audio

• Music/audio files can be edited, so players can enjoy MP with custom WAVs/MP3s
  • Engine volume slider

FE/UI

• Steam Cloud Save support
  • Improved localisation

But warning: there is controversial debate about how the performance are in the game. They made a huge progress with this update on the side of stability. But the game need a pretty high system requirement to run fluently. So if you have an average computer wait for feedback on the final release (may 21).

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a Carmageddon fan from the very beginning and I was an original backer for this latest instalment of Carmagedodn. With that said I must admit that reincarnation is a huge disappointment for me. The music is mostly horrible, the optimization is completely absent as the game runs like absolute crap on any computer, the graphics are extremely outdated, the damage system isn't up to par compared to other games today and the loading times are absolutely outrageous. I wanted this game to bring back that child-like feeling I had while playing Carmageddon 1 and 2 but it has really failed as it is just a horribly developed games. I hope they can salvage it but releasing it in the state that it is in now might have been a serious nail in the coffin...

Sad story.

• 9 months later...

Long cumulative post in order to break the silence

After a new blog explaining the difficulties to boost the game performance (essentially issues with the old game engine)

http://www.carmageddon.com/blog/ups-and-downs-updates

Stainless released The update 2 that allow far better performance (up to 50% boost), better graphics and a more balance multiplayer experience

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/sexing-it-right

A third update with additional content (new cars )

Update 3

Carmageddon Max Damage will be launch mid 2016 on  PC/XBOX1 and PS4

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/carmageddon-coming-console

FAQ:

- Is this a new Game? Yes on console, no on PC, but there will be a lot of new added content, new trucks, new ped, new map with greater graphics

- Why they rename the game?

They do that to give the game a second chance ... another studio, Gamespire, already done that with gas Guzzlers Extreme that was previouly known with the name of Combat Carnage

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/combat-carnage

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gas-guzzlers-extreme

- I previouly bought Carmageddon Reincarnation, will i have to pay again for Carmageddon Max Damage? No, Carmageddon Max Damage (PC) will be free for Carmageddon Reincarnation owners

http://steamcommunity.com/games/Carmageddon_Reincarnation/announcements/detail/652264647500852765

- I hate CR, will i love CMD? Probably not, CMD will have the same gameplay as CR with a lot of added content.

- I love CR, will i hate CMD? No, because CMD will be a CR definitive edition with better graphics, performance and a lot of new content.

- What will be the performance on PS4/XBOX1 ? Sorry, we don't know yet ...

- Can we expect some performance boost on the PC version? Maybe, they need to optimised a lot the game in order to run on PS4/XBOX1 ...

- Can we play crossplatform multiplayer? It will be great, but unfortunatly i don't think it will be a reality. Crossplatform between Xbox1 AND PC require that the game will be sold in the windows store, and that will not be the case.

- Will there be a physical version (Box) of the game ? No, the games will be sold only online

You want to install mod but don't know how to do that, follow the white rabbit

http://steamcommunity.com/app/249380/discussions/0/405693392910846849/

Edited by Tonrac
Video link correction

Carmageddon Max Damage will be OUT  june 03 on Xbox1 /PS4 for 29.99£/39.99$/39.99€

It seem that finaly there will be a boxed version ... but nobody knows where this version could be buy ? If there is territory restriction ?

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/its-date

Edited by Tonrac

• 2 weeks later...

@aageon: The gameplay of max damage will be closer to carmageddon 1 than the 2

It's a pure scoring game (no game over if you are wreck but you loose money for example)

A Gameplay video about a beta version of Max Damage

and a preview: http://www.trustedreviews.com/carmageddon-max-damage-review

Edited by Tonrac

• 2 weeks later...
Stainless organize a contest where you can win a PS4 or X box one and 10 games when it will be release.
You need to post a comment on the Carmageddon facebook page saying what console you would like ... you got until April 14 to play

Mad mike is a lucky man and saw a show of Carmageddon Max Damage at a London expo. Here is his impression: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/29426

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The Game was pushed back to July 8th http://www.carmageddon.com/news/pre-order-news

For some that could be interested : preorder are open (search for retailers on http://www.carmageddonmaxdamage.com/ )
To be complete, if people preorder, they will got preorder Bonus
They are composed of two exclusive cars (the Tez eagle that is an alternative version of the eagle R and the iron Hawk that is an alternative version of the Hawk driven by Die Anna.)
Those cars get two exclusives skin

0907d22e-6249-41d8-a485-b2383312cbd5.jpg

And an exclusive comics named "Where eagles die" (digital format)

98591a38-c50c-4efb-b694-ecd2a40e7faa.jpg

It's not advertisement, just information ... I prefer buy a game after its released to avoid bad surprise (like Batman Arkham Knight PC) ... but i am not here to judge if you want to preorder

Unfortunately, i don't think that we will have news on the PC release date before the 8 of july because right know they focus on the console version of the game ...

Here is a little video that show the usage of caravan (forgive me because that's a promo video but it show trailer usage so i find it interesting)
and an interview Of Nobby about CMD

But i keep the better for the end : A Max Damage twitch made at the MCM Comic con (London) ... You will see a lot of little improvement that be reported priviously by Mad Mike in that post( http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/29426 ) and a new environment that take place in a desert: https://t.co/olwLTA6ty5

What i have understand from this streamming is: The game is gold anad had be sent to Microsoft and Sony. The game will be released on PC "a while" after the console (so PC playesr like me have to be patient).
They will love to introduce motorbyke in the next Carmageddon Game.
DlC are possible but nothing is planned right now. If we take the fact that console got an HDD, they improve the loading time (35 to 45s depending of the level). It's not great but i obtain the same time on my PC with an SSD on Carmageddon Reincarnation.
Powerups visuals effects are improved (the new electrobastard ray look badass). There is new effects to improve the sense of speed. There is three news environments, the desert that you could see here, a arena that is at the top of a mountain (called satan tower) and an underground temple.
Edited by Tonrac