Geforce GTX 680MX Discussion

ssj92

Think of it this way. A 675MX uses 100w. A 680M uses 100w. The 680M is faster/has more cores with the same 100w usage as the 675mx, so a 680mx should be able to work within a 100w range too if they improved he fabrication process.

actually that is false assumption. normally it would be right if one does not know 675m is basically 580m, theres no changes made, however 680m is basically 1 year after 580m (675m) which technology improved.

actually that is false assumption. normally it would be right if one does not know 675m is basically 580m, theres no changes made, however 680m is basically 1 year after 580m (675m) which technology improved.

The 675MX is a kepler based card just like the 680M

It's certainly possible, but my guess is it will not happen before February or March 2013.

Btw., I wonder if it is possible to unlock all 1536 cores on a 680M using a BIOS flash?

Could be. If that's the case then there will be no reason to invest into 680MX if 7xx series will be just around the corner. I'd bet that 780M is going to be released in the end of June 2013 (as it was with 580m and 680m). Even if the cards are available in January, it would still be a better idea to wait for 780M (especially as both are/will be expensive not less than 680M this June/July).

I can't say the source used at this link knows without a doubt the exact power consumption but it is listed here as 122watts. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

And if they change the shape of the card...We will not get to see if it will work in a notebook...

And if they change the shape of the card...We will not get to see if it will work in a notebook...

Exactly as they even note the heat may be too much for a notebook and may only be seen in the imac atleast by that link on notebook check. Lets see what Eurocom, MSI and the rest decide to do with it. They have some hefty cooling systems but it won't matter as you say if its not built upon mxm standards. It already isn't mxm standard being over 100watt.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Founder

So I have some news for those waiting for the 680MX to arrive. I've been informed by our vendor that 680MX is an exclusive part for Apple, it won't be available to other parties.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I have some news for those waiting for the 680MX to arrive. I've been informed by our vendor that 680MX is an exclusive part for Apple, it won't be available to other parties.

AARGH!! Why make such a nice card and waste it on putting them in crappy Apple products.. But still we must not worry because I'm sure Nvidia's next mobile series will offer the same specs.

• Founder
AARGH!! Why make such a nice card and waste it on putting them in crappy Apple products.. But still we must not worry because I'm sure Nvidia's next mobile series will offer the same specs.

Well if I had to guess it has to do with Apple giving nVidia piles of cash :) It may be a timed exclusive, who knows? Even if the card exceeds the 100W MXM 3.0b specification, that spec. is not set in stone and can be exceeded if nVidia desires. Whether we will see it in this generation of notebooks or the next is the question. My guess is we won't see it until Alienware/MSI/Clevo create updated notebooks with revised motherboards to accommodate this card.

That suck's. Guess the 680M will stay as the king of notebook cards for now. Still, like I said the 8000 series should be coming in a few months and should provide a nice performance increase. The 700 series will most likely also increase performance so we should be able to get 680MX or better in a 780M hopefully.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the 680MX will be coming to alienware it seems. I was on another forum and a member posted this:

hjzw7.jpg

Don't know if its 100% true but we'll see soon enough. =]

• Founder

I don't think we will be seeing the 680MX in notebooks anytime soon. The TDP requirements are higher and so will be the power consumption. So unless MSI/Alienware/Clevo release refreshed notebooks that can cope with the new card, its unlikely.

I don't think we will be seeing the 680MX in notebooks anytime soon. The TDP requirements are higher and so will be the power consumption. So unless MSI/Alienware/Clevo release refreshed notebooks that can cope with the new card, its unlikely.

Figures :/

Waiting for someone buy 2 iMacs and get the 680MX down from them and make SLI on his Alienware/Clevo and run 3dmark………………

I don't think anyone can try that until December when they're released. :Banane13:

I'm sad... I just purchased a Clevo P150EM with GTX 680M. If the 680MX does loads better, maybe a switch? Otherwise, I think I'm content with the 680M as it runs anything I want to throw at it so far.

They are for iMacs and there's no proof that there will be a MXM version even. Don't get your hopes up.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

• Founder
I'm sad... I just purchased a Clevo P150EM with GTX 680M. If the 680MX does loads better, maybe a switch? Otherwise, I think I'm content with the 680M as it runs anything I want to throw at it so far.

If the 680MX is released I don't expect more than 15 to 20% increase. So I wouldn't worry much.

Sent from my GT-N7000