Geforce GTX 680MX Discussion

ssj92

• Founder

Damn and I just got my 680M SLI kit in today! :) Looks like nVidia made this part for Apple's new iMac desktop so we might see it in notebooks for this holiday season. Very impressive though, full desktop 680 core, that's unheard of in the mobile world.

Damn and I just got my 680M SLI kit in today! :) Looks like nVidia made this part for Apple's new iMac desktop so we might see it in notebooks for this holiday season. Very impressive though, full desktop 680 core, that's unheard of in the mobile world.

They are putting the 675mx in the highest model iMac not the 680mx :)

• Founder
They are putting the 675mx in the highest model iMac not the 680mx :)

680MX will be the top option for the iMac: Apple - iMac - Performance

Here's what I think of the 680MX, both specs and when we might be able to get our hands on them: Apple is very demanding as far as inventory, Samsung knows this first hand from their past iPhone/iPad deals, so most likely whatever 680MX TSMC produces between now and December will likely get taken by Apple. What's left might go to Dell/Clevo/MSI but who knows how many that will be. Regardless, it should take over the price bracket that 680M currently occupies.

Does this mean 680M will become cheaper? Probably slightly because people will want the latest and greatest but 680M inventory is already low so don't expect a big drop in price. As for performance, I'm expecting about 10-15% gain at stock in some games and synthetic benchmarks. Since this is a desktop chip on the same fabrication, it most likely will run hotter and eat more power so the overclock headroom will become limiting faster than 680M. BUT since it has more CUDA cores + bandwidth, the OC will scale better than 680M. Whether it can outrun the 680M by 20% consistently is questionable but there's no doubt this thing will be the king of the hill.

Now we wait and see if other OEM's pick it up and how they manage the thermals.

It is basically the same as the jump for desktop 670 vs 680 except no clock advantage for the 680mx. Expect about 5% performance increase over the 680m, and if it is runs hotter or eats more power it might not OC as well, making it totally possible for the OC 680m to be faster just like in the desktop space for 670 vs 680.

It should be 10-15% faster. Surprised though that these cards are going into an iMac. Don't they use desktop processors still in them?

If the 680m is 100w, wonder if this one will still be 100w or it will exceed 100w

The 680m itself can draw over 100watt on its own. I am not sure but likely will also draw more than that. Seems it would be rated at atleast 105-120watt a card with all the added cores and vram increases.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

I also think it is unlikely that there is going to be a 680MX in a regular notebook any time soon. A 680M already needs 100W, so in order to fit a 680MX in 100W, the 28nm process needs to improve some more, which will probably take more time.

I also think it is unlikely that there is going to be a 680MX in a regular notebook any time soon. A 680M already needs 100W, so in order to fit a 680MX in 100W, the 28nm process needs to improve some more, which will probably take more time.

Think of it this way. A 675MX uses 100w. A 680M uses 100w. The 680M is faster/has more cores with the same 100w usage as the 675mx, so a 680mx should be able to work within a 100w range too if they improved he fabrication process.

It's certainly possible, but my guess is it will not happen before February or March 2013.

Btw., I wonder if it is possible to unlock all 1536 cores on a 680M using a BIOS flash?

The cores are most likely laser-cut.