Catalyst 12.11 performance driver for GCN coming today (3 PM)

Brian

• Founder

post-5-14494993827256_thumb.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

Well AMD has finally done some nice work and created a new performance driver that does what it claims. BF3 is seeing up to 20% gains in performance and it now puts the GCN based Radeon's on par with Kepler's best (680/680M). Since we're working on an nVidia 680M SLI vs AMD 7970M Xfire article, I'll have to scrub our initial benchmark results and try out the Catalyst 12.11's instead. Good timing AMD...

From Anandtech:

post-5-14494993826861_thumb.png

post-5-14494993825896_thumb.png

post-5-1449499382622_thumb.png

post-5-14494993826534_thumb.png

post-5-1449499382709_thumb.jpg

Its about time. Thanks for the great heads up Brian. With a modded 12.9 beta i was seeing more stability and performance over any other driver i tried. But as was noted in driver notes and noticed over the last 6-7 games ive played in past few weeks on that driver is a very noticable underutilization issues. Some game especially dual card setups even more so under heavy conditions like is saw it in Crysis 2 with hd textures and directx11 etc some time 99% usage others fps drop right in half and utilization goes as low as 40-50% on each card if talking about crossfire. The driver noted this was to be taken care of in the next driver release. I hope this new driver really helps. They are held back by this only in some cases. 680m and 7970m could be close as you mentioned Brian after some of this... but hopefully stability the most important factor in this is what AMD really concentrated on at the same time. Again thanks for the heads up Brian.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

I'll believe it when i see it.

Same here so far Crysis 2 for me still has underutilization and a lot of it at various areas all over while playing the game.... Vsync off

These drivers are amazing in BF3! Looks like they are faster than 680M SLI from initial tests.

So your 7970m's aren't glitching from voltage now? Perhaps drivers were issue before but StamatisX was on same driver and I the modded one without the same issues. I tell you there is so many differences from card to card on 7970m. Ill check BF3 and stuff I hope I see the same positive results.

AMD has always been good in the charts. After all they make the graphics cards. ;)

I've lost my hope that AMD will do something with enduro and HD7970M and I took to be an exchange for faster memory chips. I'll see if it work.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what took AMD so long to create this driver? 20% seems like a lot, so there must have been a serious error...

Then again, if you look at the history of GPUs, AMD GPUs have always pulled ahead of equivalent Nvidia GPUs over time (with the exception of the x800 probably). Wasn't there a driver which improved the performance of the X1800 by ~72% in several OpenGL games?