PM800 Firmware update. Need some help

DR650SE

Ok so I got an old PM800 Samsung SSD. IT has the pre-TRIM firmware. I was looking at an old post, but it looks like a lot of the tools have been taken down from Brians NBR post.

Does anyone have the things I need to flash this drive so I can enable trim? Also if you have the steps it would help a lot too. Thanks guys!

Dan

Ok so I got an old PM800 Samsung SSD. IT has the pre-TRIM firmware. I was looking at an old post, but it looks like a lot of the tools have been taken down from Brians NBR post.

Does anyone have the things I need to flash this drive so I can enable trim? Also if you have the steps it would help a lot too. Thanks guys!

Dan

Here is info and link for Dell version fw update

[Warning]

“DEVICE MUST BE PLUGGED IN AT ALL TIMES DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS OR ELSE DEVICE MAY BE PERMANENTLY DAMAGED AND RENDERED INOPERABLE.?

"YOU MUST BACK UP ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE AS THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS WILL ERASE ALL PRE-EXISTING DATA"

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-m17x-r2?driverId=R276513&osCode=W764&fileId=2731113924

Applies to: PM800 256GB 2.5 SATA2 SSD

PM800 128GB 2.5 SATA2 SSD

Install Info:

I.System & Tool Requirements

1. Your system (Notebook or PC)

2. DSRD Tool (DSRD.zip)

* FW update Tool is called DSRD in this document.

3. Bootable USB Drive *

*- Please set your USB drive into a “bootable?state before commencing firmware download. For assistance on completing this step, please refer to a USB boot utility from a trusted internet site

Please refer to the file FW Download Guide_r2_3_Release0712 for STEP by STEP instruction

II.Limitations

1. AHCI or ATA mode must be enabled in the BIOS for successful download. The DSRD application automatically detects either AHCI or ATA mode and progresses accordingly.

2. Removal of disks when the application is running on PCs with chipsets such as ICH5 or ICH6 that do not support the “hot plug?feature (enables plug and play) may cause disruption of the DSRD utility.

3. This tool is only for the products mentioned in the Applicable Drive Model list of previous page, so we do not guarantee with any other products.

Instructions:

Custom Instructions for SAMSUNG_MULTI-DEVICE_A00_R276513.exe:

(Preparation)

1. Extract all provided zip files to the Bootable USB Drive (extract to the root directory). This will create a DSRD folder on the USB drive.

2. Restart your PC and Press "F2" to enter System BIOS. Select -->System Configuration--> SATA Operation --> AHCI or ATA.

3. Under Boot Sequence set USB as the first boot device in the boot order (Refer to your system user guide).

4. Apply changed settings and power off the system.

(Applying Firmware Update)

1. Insert USB boot key and power on the system.

i) Check boot priority settings in your system BIOS if your system fails to boot from USB drive.

ii) DSRD application will execute only in IDE and AHCI modes of ATA / SATA /AHCI controllers. If it fails to run, check the BIOS setting for SATA Operation and ensure it is set to ATA or AHCI mode.

2. Execute DOSRD1_0.EXE in DSRD folder.

3. The message ¡°Samsung electronics FW Download Utility¡± will appear. Press any key to continue.

4. FW Utility will automatically detect your SSD and if a FW upgrade candidate is detected, the device name with old FW version will be displayed. Do not press any key at this time.

5. When the following prompt will appears ¡±Download FW on this disk?¡±, please press ¡®y¡¯ and hit ¡®enter¡¯ to continue.

6. A prompt will remind you to backup all data and ask you ¡±Do you want to continue?¡±, please press ¡®y¡¯. Before hitting ¡®enter,¡¯ please verify that you have backed up all pre-existing data on the device. This will begin the download process.

7. Once download is complete, the message will appear ¡°Firmware has been successfully upgraded!¡±

[WARNING]

Even if the progression dot appears to have completed DO NOT PRESS ANY OTHER KEY such as ESC, Power Button, etc unless you see the "Firmware has been successfully updated!!"

8. DSRD will automatically terminate after firmware update completion.

9. Turn off the system power after firmware update has completed. You now have latest firmware version on your SSD!

10. Restart your PC and press "F2" to entering BIOS setting, Select -->System Configuration-->SATA operation, choose the original setting used prior to applying firmware update. Note: Factory default is IRRT or RAID.

Additional Notes:

1. The download tool will skip the firmware update process if the upgraded firmware version is already installed on the drive.

2. If you execute DSRD again when your SSD has the latest FW, you will see messaging that the same firmware revision exist on the drive and the tool will skip the firmware update process.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 3

Hope @mw86 post will help because I really don't remember the steps involved, its been what, 3 years or so? I lost the files long ago, sorry man.

I know what you mean. I had the same drive and its going on two years for me too. I think at the time since i was on the Dell version I used those instructions and file without any problems. Its just that it was very specific on making sure data was backed up since all is erased and the bios has to be set to ahci or whichever it indicates above.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys. Tried running the update and got a message that no ssd supported :rolleyes:

Looks like it's because it has the VBM15D1Q firmware.

It's all good though. It will be my Gaming SSD. I'll have all my games installed to it. Not like I need to write to it much. Once it's full of games, I'll secure erase, put the gaming image back on it and it's good to go. Since I have images of all my drives, if there is any slow down on it, a seure erase should solve it.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate/ICS CM9 via Tapatalk.