Looking for recommendation for new dual band router

gordon1986

I'd go with the Netgear WNDR3700, it's one of the stronger ones out there and has full DDWRT / OpenWRT support.

Plus it can be had for quite cheap these days.

I fully agree with Michael on that one but make sure you buy v1 or v2 and not the v3 because the v3 uses broadcom and doesn't support DDWRT.

• Thumbs Up 2

WNDR3700, i have two of them, one as wifi access point, the other just for routing. Working perfectly with openWRT, except for regulatory domains (wifi), but the wiki has a fix there.

If 300mbps isn't quite enough, there is still the WNDR4500, 450mbps in 5ghz, 300mbps in 2.4ghz band. Also works good here, but is more expensive. If you want more speed or usb ports this one is certainly a good choice.

All of them running cool.

I used to like linksys (once cisco for home users), but now most of their better products go with a label like "linksys by CISCO" but the are not the cisco quality.

So i switched to netgear (the samsung of networking gear :)) and so far (few years) I am pretty happy with it.

I've got the Asus RT-N66U for a couple of months now and I can't find anything negative on it. No wireless drops, no reboots had to be done. And the wireless is available through all my flat ( 150sqm, 7 rooms). Had a lot of routers in the past and I always lost connection after half of the flat.

I fully agree with Michael on that one but make sure you buy v1 or v2 and not the v3 because the v3 uses broadcom and doesn't support DDWRT.

Now this is very nice to know. So version 1 or 2 it is to get DDWRT support. Thanks Suoah!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been pondering on getting an AC compatible router... something like the Asus RT-AC66U. If you're iffy on getting one with AC support though since it's still in draft, perhaps an Asus RT-N66U would do. I'm considering the AC version to test it when I get the Galaxy S4, but other than that, I'm not aware of many devices using AC.

ASUS RT-N66U has been wonderful for me the last few weeks I've had it. By far the best stock firmware I've seen on a consumer router, and even then, it's very customizable.

I saw no point in getting the AC router since there really isn't much to do with it yet at this point, and just like with N, the first few models always seem to have issues.

I ordered a TP-LINK - TL-WDR4900 has

•is optimized for high-performance wireless router dwupasmowym for very high speed transmission. Thanks to the simultaneous transmission of speed 450Mb/s in 5 GHz band interference-free transmission and speed of 450Mb/sec in 2.4 GHz band traditional users get a 900 MB/s maximum aggregate bandwidth for demanding applications or Home Office. 450Mb/s throughput in the 2.4 GHz band can be used for less demanding applications, such as browsing the Internet or email, and 450Mb/sec in the 5 GHz band to more delay-sensitive tasks, such as streaming HD video or online gaming.If you prefer to use wired connection, this is five Gigabit Ethernet ports and NAT hardware speeds of over 900 MB/s will provide instant, without delay, and with 2 USB 2.0 ports, designed to share USB drives, printers, FTP server and media server, the router provides users with the ability to use fast, multimedia home network.

•High speed-a smooth media transmissions

Dual-band wireless network-450Mb/sec in the 5 GHz + 450Mb/sec in 2.4 GHz

TL-WDR4900 wireless networks 2 separate broadcasts in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network operating in the 2.4 GHz band can be disturbed by your neighbors as well as devices such as stoves ovens, cordless phones, etc. In the 5 GHz band there are 23 non overlapping channels is 8 times more than in the traditional onsite parking 2.4 GHz. The possibility of simultaneous transmission in both bands provides you with the ability to use twice, dedicated bandwidth.

•Hyper-wired connection-5 Gigabit Ethernet ports

Thanks Gigabit WAN port and four Gigabit LAN ports wired connection speed is up to 10 times greater than with traditional Ethernet connections. TL-WDR4900 has enough power to maintain a stable network with transmission speeds instant.

•NAT-hardware bandwidth to 900 MB/s

Thanks to the built-in Gigabit Ethernet switch and hardware to use NAT router TL-WDR4900 provides very high data transfer performance. The bandwidth between the WAN and the LAN is over 900 MB/s, which allows users to use the full potential of their Internet connections in the home network.

•High computing power-processor duo to 800 MHz

Powerful processor for high performance 500 MHz double-pumped data processing which allows rapid handling of all functions of the router. To reduce the load on the central processor and ensure stable also has separate settings that support wireless transmission in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Separate hardware NAT system provides faster, address translation WAN-LAN throughput achieved is up to 900 MB/s.

•3 external antenna and 3 internal

Three external antennas for 5 GHz band and acting 5dBi gain 3 internal antennas operating in the 2.4 GHz band to provide a larger transmission range. This allows to achieve a high signal strength on the entire surface of your home or Office.

•Two universal USB ports

With two multifunctional USB ports 2.0 users can share printers, media and other files to devices on the local network and, using an FTP server, as well as over the Internet.

•IPv6

TL-WDR4900 supports the IPv6 Protocol-Internet Protocol next generation. This will provide users the ability to use the upcoming generation of network services.

I use this router and I am very happy with it is the equipment of the highest quality so if you're looking for something really good I suggest it

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm personally waiting for the D-Link DGL-5500. They have been saying its coming out in "Spring 2013" so they have what? just over 2 weeks to go till they are liars lol. I am a huge fan of their gamerlounge products and this is suppose to have it's QoS technology based on Bigfoot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to switch between Linksys/Cisco, Belkin, D-Link and TP-Link. Now, I'm surprised how rock solid Asus' offerings are. The N66U is one of, if not the best routers you can get.