• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if you still need to know, or if you saw this elsewhere. However, what I did is this:

1. Unzip the file (if it is zip/zipped EXE - not sure, basing off the stock download until I get my account unlocked)

2. Run command prompt (as admin)

3. Enter this command: (<your path here>\InsydeFlashx64.exe /forceit) - exe file may vary though

4. This should be able to flash even if you have battery issues.

Hope this helps!

• 5 weeks later...

Good night guys, I am very happy to find a forum where I find solution for some problems in my Alienware m17x r3 3d, congratulations to the collaborators of this forum, please I need information, about 3 years ago my gtx560m card burned and I switched to a gtx680m, asta working perfectly with the original a12 bios, but I'm looking to change to a newer option for my m17x r3, and I need to know how I can download the Alienware_M17x_R3_BIOS_A12_ [unlocked] _ & _ 'SATA_fix' 1.0.0 already Thank you for your attention.

Forgive me if the words are not correct, I'm using google translator.

• Bios Modder
7 hours ago, BOARATO said:

I need to know how I can download the Alienware_M17x_R3_BIOS_A12_ [unlocked] _ & _ 'SATA_fix' 1.0.0 already Thank you for your attention.

Hi!

Just read "User Account Promotion Rules":  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

8 hours ago, Klem said:

Good morning, thank you for the attention, I read the rules during the registration in the forum, I will wait until I have merit, Strong hug to all.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, signed up with an account, now to wait for a promotion, in the mean time, does the unlocked A12 allow for more video card support, or just to make changes with disabling an enabling onboard video... which I think mine does not have, M17x R3. Thanks, new to bios unlocking, so some questions may seem stupid.

• 2 months later...

Hey everybody, so I've got an M17X R3 that I have had for many many years and have had 0 issues with it until my most recent HDD failure, just ordered a Samsung 860 EVO SATA III 500 gb SSD to replace my existing pouched 750gb mechanical HDD. From reading many upon many forums to get the SSD to work to its potential I have to either to go Bios A08 or this unlocked version of A12, does this sounds correct? I checked my laptop and i'm still in the old old old A03 Bios. I also am still running the old Nvidia 460m video card and would in the near future upgrade it as I have noticed lagging issues with it this past year. Whats everybody upgrades too and have you had any issues? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

i´ve flashed the newest unlocked A12 Bios, but all options are still disabled. I can not even set a user or supervisorpassword. Neither in original nor in unlocked bios.

Can you please help me out? I´m kind of stuck. 

I entered a resetcode from dell to deactivate computrace. this seemed to work, but all options are gone. what happened? can it be lojax or something?

thanks in advance

Alienware M17xR3

• Bios Modder
11 hours ago, hObBIT i.B. said:

Hi all,

i´ve flashed the newest unlocked A12 Bios, but all options are still disabled.

Hi!

This means that:

1. You flash wrong bios (without unlock).

or

2. You use flashing procedure with some errors. 

9 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

This means that:

1. You flash wrong bios (without unlock).

or

2. You use flashing procedure with some errors. 

I assume it is the correct bios, so what could i´ve done wrong with the procedure? Flashed from within Win10. SV17 Mod is displayed in the bios after flash.

Edited by hObBIT i.B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2012 at 9:39 AM, svl7 said:

Yes, everything just as in the stock A12 bios, except for the mentioned tweaks and the additional menus.

Hiya svl7!! Thanks for all of the great work you've done and advice given. :thumbsup:

I know these AW M17xR3s are getting old but some of us cannot afford to update at this time. I am on a disabilty pension so money is very tight. :dispirited:

I have had unlocked A8, A10 and A12 BIOSs for this laptop for some time now and tried all three - I think I'm using the unlocked A 12 at the moment.

There still seems to be something or some things lacking (not visible, not available or unlocked) e.g. individual options or additional menus. Is it possible to unlock everything  (options) that are still locked or not visible please?

If you are not interested or unwilling to have another look at this BIOS to see and then unlock further options or functions that could be unlocked, could you please at least let me know what you used to view, access and edit (unlock) the options in this BIOS?? I'm hoping that whatever apps you used have some sort of GUI interface as I am not very comfortable with HEX editing.

I look forward to ANY assistance from you mate. :eagerness:

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2018 at 6:52 AM, sam91 said:

Not sure if you still need to know, or if you saw this elsewhere. However, what I did is this:

1. Unzip the file (if it is zip/zipped EXE - not sure, basing off the stock download until I get my account unlocked)

2. Run command prompt (as admin)

3. Enter this command: (<your path here>\InsydeFlashx64.exe /forceit) - exe file may vary though

4. This should be able to flash even if you have battery issues.

Hope this helps!

WRONG!  This will not work within Windows command prompt.

I sure would like to find a way to Flash the BIOS with a dead battery AND NO INTERNAL KEYBOARD (and therefore NO "END" key on the internal keyboard) as well.  This forum is so HUGE!  The answer might be in here somewhere, but even if it is you'll have to weed through all the conflicting, and sometimes WRONG information to find it!  I've been trying to find a way around the Battery issue for over 2 weeks now.  Seems I'm no closer to my goal.

Edited by Mr. Tom
addendum

• Bios Modder
1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

@KlemWhat if I were to change the "BatteryCheck" value from 1 to 0 in the "platform.ini" file?  Would that get me anywhere?

Hi!

Yes of course. It's right way in your case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed! -  Fist-Bump @Klem

It appears that changing the "BatteryCheck" value in the "Platform.ini" file (from a value of ONE to a value of ZERO) was all that was required to circumvent the "Plugged in, Not Charging" condition with 0% battery that was preventing me from updating my BIOS!  BOOM!  Now at A12! 

Now that I've successfully updated to Dell (Locked) A12 BIOS (and the FIRMWARE) for the M17x R3, I will now proceed to implement the Unlocked BIOS using the same "Platform.ini" edit technique.  What could possibly go wrong! ?  I'm going to sift back through the threads to look for any cautions before making the leap to Unlocked A12.  I seem to remember something about video settings...

You know...  This isn't even my machine!  It's my neighbors!  He paid $1000 for this thing about a year ago and it arrived with a busted keyboard and would only occasionally boot up.  It's totally stable now with Windows 7, all updated drivers, and no blood in the device manager tree!  Nothin' like taking a busted up machine and bringing it back to life! 

Edited by Mr. Tom
Addemdum

On 3/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, medz1990 said:

my battery dont want to charge so how i can flash the new bios by usb

If you find yourself in this situation, you might not necessarily have to flash your BIOS via bootable USB!  I had the same issue: "0% available, (plugged in, not charging)" message.

I was able to get around it and flash the BIOS by using Wordpad to edit the "platform.ini" file.  If you see only the "M17XR3_A12_W32_X64.exe" executable file that you downloaded, you need to understand that this is a self extracting executable and you will need to use 7-Zip or similar program to see what's in it it.  Install 7-Zip.  Right click the file, mouse over "7-Zip",then choose "Extract...", and click the [OK] button on the window that pops up.  It will create its own folder with the same name as the file.  It is within this folder that you will find the "platform.ini" file that you must edit.

Right click the "platform.ini" file and select 'Open with', then choose WordPad.  When it opens the file, scroll down through the text and look for the section, "[AC_Adapter]".  Just below that you will see a line that reads, "BatteryCheck=1".  Change it to, "BatteryCheck=0".  Save, then close the file.  Then simply double click the, "InsydeFlashx64.exe" executable to launch the BIOS update from within the Windows environment!  Touch NOTHING as the BIOS update process takes place.  Your computer will restart when it is finished.  If you encounter anything other than the usual boot to Windows desktop, you may need to restart your computer, enter the BIOS, restore Setup Defaults[F9], Save and Exit[F10], then hit [Enter].  It should be that simple.

Oh!  Always remember that "Simple" and "Easy" are two entirely different things.  To win the Lottery, you simply have to choose the right numbers, but it isn't easy!

I hope this gets as many people over the "0% available, (plugged in, not charging)" hump, as possible.  Good luck to you all!  And a big THANK YOU to Klem for verifying the .ini edit theory before I pulled the trigger on it!

NOTE:  It's a GOOD PRACTICE to flash the stock (Unlocked) version first, before flashing an Unlocked version!  This way you can be sure that your Firmware is upgraded along with the BIOS.

Edited by Mr. Tom
addendum