ATI 6970M vs nVidia 485M

ATI 6970M or nVIDIA 485M?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. ATI 6970M or nVIDIA 485M?

• ATI 6970M
    • nVIDIA 485M

• Founder

I love the monthly ATI driver cycles, i neither care about 3D nor i care about CUDA and the marginal performance increase 485 will give over the 6970 is not worth the money/heat imho.

Plus correct me if i am wrong but the 485 are also watt-hungry so less power to the future 2920xm :)

• Thumbs Up 1

AMD they have more performance per watt, more to feed our XM processors. Always satisfied by how much their drivers actually improve performance after each release

I am kinda burned my DAAMIT atm. On my r2 at home with my OCed 5870m's - in crossfire - sketchup runs... 'not the best'. At work, I have a mac mini running windows. It has a geforce 9200 in it. It runs sketchup orders of magnitudes faster. Literally. I get maybe 10fps in a certain one of my projects at home, and I hit way above 60fps on the mac mini at work - same SKP file, same version of sketchup, hardware acceleration enabled on both.

Unity 3d and UDK both run faster on nvidia (the editors, specifically) and SLI is supported in more games.

I just in general have a bad feeling about DAAMIT now. I know crossfire is much faster than SLI now, but still - I cant shake the feeling that the better performance in dev-ish apps mean I need the geforce.

So, I am hoping against hope we can have 485m's in the R3 - although I'm guessing that Dellienware is going to pussy out and only supply 460m's. I believe this will be out of fear of a user getting the 2920xm + 485m combo and going to throttle city.

I will happily be limited to a 2820qm if it means I can get my 485m sli!

Heres hoping.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

I am kinda burned my DAAMIT atm. On my r2 at home with my OCed 5870m's - in crossfire - sketchup runs... 'not the best'. At work, I have a mac mini running windows. It has a geforce 9200 in it. It runs sketchup orders of magnitudes faster. Literally. I get maybe 10fps in a certain one of my projects at home, and I hit way above 60fps on the mac mini at work - same SKP file, same version of sketchup, hardware acceleration enabled on both.

Unity 3d and UDK both run faster on nvidia (the editors, specifically) and SLI is supported in more games.

I just in general have a bad feeling about DAAMIT now. I know crossfire is much faster than SLI now, but still - I cant shake the feeling that the better performance in dev-ish apps mean I need the geforce.

So, I am hoping against hope we can have 485m's in the R3 - although I'm guessing that Dellienware is going to pussy out and only supply 460m's. I believe this will be out of fear of a user getting the 2920xm + 485m combo and going to throttle city.

I will happily be limited to a 2820qm if it means I can get my 485m sli!

Heres hoping.

-Ash

That's probably because Sketchup does not support dual GPU

Voted 6970:

1. Price-power

2. MUCH higher performance in Autodesk programs vs. equivalent non-Tesla/Quadro Nvidia GPU (except when rendering @ 3dsmax)

3. Optimus

4. Verde exclusion (in the case of m17x-r3)

• Thumbs Up 1

I would have alternated between nVidia and ATi around 2006 when it came to high end notebooks. However, nVidia's pricing really didn't allow me to do so as I would on the desktop side of things. Anyone remember how much the 9800M GTX costed? Also, the 6970M is probably faster at higher settings (1920x1200, high AA, etc.) than the 485M, which is type of settings the consumers for these type of cards play at.

Luckily, the 485M came out before the 6970M. If it were the other way around, the 485M would have looked like a semi bust (but nowhere near the type of bust the 480M was).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
I shouldnt have to disable crossfire to use sketchup at a speed higher than a geforce 9200m. Thats ludicrous.

-Ash

Does it work better once you disable Crossfire?

AMD, mostly because of the price... About the heat, you have to be careful... The TDP you find on the Nvidia site is usually meant for the whole card, whereas the AMD TDP is usually only for the die.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Well the best way to measure how hot they get is run identical systems with furmark and monitor the core temperature. Then you'll know what's up. What concerns me most about 485M and 485M SLi setup is the massive amount of power they eat under load. That would quickly strain a 330W PSU with a 2920xm. IF by some miracle M18x offers 120hz + 485M SLi, I might go for it.

• Thumbs Up 1