Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Hey, I switched a video setting on my y580 and it doesn't show anything on the screen now. I switched the graphics device setting from "SG" to "auto-correct" and now when I turn on my laptop I can hear the fans spinning and the keyboard light up but the screen doesn't turn on at all... Anybody got a clue how I can fix this?

Edit: nvm, found this: 

Edited by Ilman

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

so I have a question about the downloading files. I flashed my Y580 like 4 years ago with the V2.06 bios that runs the geforce on 1ghz. Now I am intereseted in upgrading to V8.01 since on Win10 the usb 3.0 ports do not work properly (usb 2.0 speed). Is there a version that provides the whitelist for the wifi card but does not overclock the gpu?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly i can't download it :( ." If you are unable to download this file, it may be due to one or a combination of the following reasons:" Please help. 
Thank you.

Edited by Getrox

so i've installed the 2.7 custom bios. the whitelist part worked perfectly and I now have an ac wifi card. However, it doesn't seem like the gpu unlocked. I'm in linux so things are a bit different for gpu overclocking. in the nvidia-settings app config files you can enable coolbits to do overclocking in the nvidia app. from there before the unlock my stock speed was 950 and I could boost it by 135 to 1085. this did not change after I unlocked the bios. does anyone have any tips for me?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. This is my very first post, so if i'm doing something wrong, please inform me to do it correctly.

My question is: Does anyone know how to, and where to download moded BIOS with advanced options for my Lenovo G580 (20150)? My current bios version is 5ECN96WW.

Thanks in advance.

• Bios Modder
10 hours ago, Bill.gr said:

Hello guys. Does anybody knows if the moded BIOS of lenovo y580 is applicable to Lenovo g580 (20150)?

Hi!

No it's a different bios. If you want to unlock your bios, then you can send me your file backup of bios via PM. For creating backup of bios you can use attached program. Unzip attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results" via PM.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

6 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

No it's a different bios. If you want to unlock your bios, then you can send me your file backup of bios via PM. For creating backup of bios you can use attached program. Unzip attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results" via PM.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

Hi. i've send you a PM with my results file. Thanks for fast reply...!!! :)

• Bios Modder
18 minutes ago, Bill.gr said:

Hi. i've send you a PM with my results file. Thanks for fast reply...!!! :)

Ok. Your mod bios done. I sent it to you via PM.

I flashed modded v8.01 bios worked great i must have changed a wrong setting now pc wont boot stuck in on off loop im trying to blind flash original bios via fn+b then power on fan spins up but wont flash because i dont have the correct bios recovery file name i have tried phoenix tool to get correct file name but can not find it does anyone know the correct bios recovery file name please help!!!!! Thanks ahead of time it is bios 5dcn90ww.rom v.8.01

Edited by Kurupt31509
Adding info

2 hours ago, Kurupt31509 said:

I flashed modded v8.01 bios worked great i must have changed a wrong setting now pc wont boot stuck in on off loop im trying to blind flash original bios via fn+b then power on fan spins up but wont flash because i dont have the correct bios recovery file name i have tried phoenix tool to get correct file name but can not find it does anyone know the correct bios recovery file name please help!!!!! Thanks ahead of time it is bios 5dcn90ww.rom v.8.01

Please see my link above your post. There you can download not only a nomal bios but a zip which has everything in it that could be interesting.

For example a crisis recovery image with a tutorial inside. Not tested but looks promising.

And again: The zip contains a bios with original 8.01 ecc data which should be interesting for everyone who wants to upgrade from 2.07 to 8.01. After flashing I had an original 8.01 and then followed the tutorial on page 1... works like a charm!

2 hours ago, Kurupt31509 said:

In the zip file from the link that Makinachan just posted, there is a folder called "Crisis," and inside of that folder is a readme and a bin file called "QIWY3.bin". Here is what the readme says:

*******************************************************************************************************************
QIWY3/QIWY4 System BIOS Crisis Release Notification           10/11/2012

[Checksum]:
QIWY3.bin    Checksum: B745 h

[Procedure]:
1. Save QIWY3.bin to device root directory
2. Shutdown the system and plug out AC.
3. Insert the device.
4. Press Fn + R.
5. Plug in AC.
6. Release Fn + R.
7. Power on the unit.
8. The process of Crisis runs automatically and will listen to warning beep sound.
9. The system will auto restarts and boot normally.

I don't see any recovery names appearing for a stock Y580 version 8.01 bios when I use the Phoenix tool to try and find one, but according to this information the recovery name to recover a Y580 version 8.01 bios should be "QIW3.bin."

I made this thread a while back which you might help:

The recovery process for recovering a Y580 bios should be the same as the one for the Y500, but I'm unsure as to whether or not it would work with a Y580 version 8.01 bios.

On 18/10/2012 at 8:21 AM, svl7 said:

Lenovo Y500 - 'unlocked' BIOS / wwan-wlan whitelist removal

The Lenovo Y580 / Y480 comes with a pretty locked down BIOS, and in addition to this with a whitelist which prevents the user from getting 3rd-party wwan/wlan cards to work properly. The modified BIOS versions here will take care of this.

Keep in mind that not necessarily all options available in the modified bios will work. Some might not do anything at all, others could possibly leave your system in a state which will prevent it from booting. Use care when changing stuff in the modified bios, don't touch things you're not familiar with. Use all the mods and software posted here on your own risk.

NOTE: This will only flash the bios region. It won't reset the nvars set in the bios. While it is technically possible to update from v2.0x to v8.01 by using the method described below, I can't really recommend it since the EC of your system won't get updated. While it might work (possibly even without any issues) I can't recommend it.

Therefore if you're on v2.0x and want to update, the better option is to wait until Lenovo provides an official 8.xx firmware update with EC and BIOS. You can then still flash the modified version as described below, once you're on a proper v8.xx firmware.

Attached you'll find a modified version of the Y580 / Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW).

-----------------------------------------

>> For users with a v2.0x BIOS: <<

Download links

Old version:

Hidden Content

Current 2.0x version:

Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) -> unlocked, whitelist removed, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz default 3d clocks

Flash with the included InsydeFlash utility.

-----------------------------------------

>> Instructions for v8.0x BIOS users: <<

The attached BIOS ("Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW) - Mod") is unlocked, whitelist stuff removed and the 660m is tweaked to 1GHz default 3d core clock. 

The only way I know of which allows you to flash the modified BIOS for v8.01 users does unfortunately also describe certain information which you don't want to loose (serials, Windows licencse etc.). Don't worry, I got it all sorted out, but due to this the flashing procedure is a bit more complicated than usual. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

Hidden Content

It might look a bit complicated at first, but that's the easiest way I could think of. Let me know if anything is unclear.

The attached v8.0x modified versions include:

- unlocked menus

- whitelist removed (wwan / wlan)

- Nvidia 660m 'GHz edition' - 1000MHz default 3d clocks

>> Here's the 'buy me a beer' link in case you like this. Modding makes me thirsty :) <<

Use at your own risk, you are responsible for your system and the changes you make on it. My programs come with absolutely no warranty to the extend permitted by applicable law.

Thanks @X0pas1 for testing, and for some pics - see below:

Reveal hidden contents

1qTSe.thumb.jpg.32a8331351d50af0e73fbb212N6Ed.thumb.jpg.a463a818f83ecbce034c98a5d8fPM.thumb.jpg.0d26d05e171c6f32e2440d92iCvPi.thumb.jpg.6f1a12ad602ff469b079e208K4JmK.thumb.jpg.e9d1075fa4e8b2ee89ceb823lScBM.thumb.jpg.0b262df1d08f0dab889cda0cpEZQJ.thumb.jpg.5180fdab03e0d8aad063296bWIupC.thumb.jpg.effb199e004e16ee1be08879

I'd appreciate it if someone could also post some pictures of the more interesting sub-menus, e.g. advanced CPU control, video settings and similar.

UPDATE 1/17/16

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR FILES REFERENCED IN THIS POST:

Hi. Can you do the exact same thing for my Lenovo G580 (20150) BIOS? In fact i have major problem with my bios. Won't boot, no logo, one short beep and black screen...tried almost everything without any luck. Thanks in advance.