Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

It happens to my friend. it this case it was problem with "user" :) He had issue because in fact BIOS on laptop was 8.0 but he tried 8.01 and during conversion locked-unlocked bios as it written in the instruction some information was lost. it was fixed by installing original 8.01, then unlocked 8.01

Link to original

Laptops and netbooks :: IdeaPad Y Series laptops :: IdeaPad Y580 - Lenovo Support (CZ)

One more thing, most probably to install original file you need to use flash utility provided by the vendor.

Hope it will help

It happens to my friend. it this case it was problem with "user" :) He had issue because in fact BIOS on laptop was 8.0 but he tried 8.01 and during conversion locked-unlocked bios as it written in the instruction some information was lost. it was fixed by installing original 8.01, then unlocked 8.01

Link to original

Laptops and netbooks :: IdeaPad Y Series laptops :: IdeaPad Y580 - Lenovo Support (CZ)

One more thing, most probably to install original file you need to use flash utility provided by the vendor.

Hope it will help

This apply to me??

- - - Updated - - -

Sure you installed driver properly and also anything set for the gpu in bios set to turn off dgpu

Sent from an AT-AT on Hoth

I'm sure I checked all bios itens.

Anything else?

Hi, as far I researched there is no dual band card white-listed by default, there is a list here that describes what is compatible, there is also an extract of PIDs and VIDs of suported cards somwhere (I can't recall now where)

Cheers.

Thanks kapec for your response my real question was after the boot mod whitelist installed on my machine will I be able to run any wireless card? Can I run AC cards as well?

my bios is V8.0 and I want to install this Bios Mod however I'm not sure what would happen to my Windows 8 Serial number that is embedded on the computer, am I going to lose it ?, thanks.

Hi guys,

I know that this question has been asked several times till now, but let me repeat it again.

I stil have the OLDest 2.07 (5DCN40WW) default version on my Y580 and can I upgrade it with the modified 8.01 (5DCN90WW) version.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day for now.

Bye! :)

Sorry if this fix was posted by another member, but I didn't read every single post on here. Ok... I have the V2.07 5DEC40WW version of this unlocked BIOS. I have no idea what the 8.0x looks like, so I don't know if this will help those with it. I have been unsuccessful in my attempts of getting an external graphics card setup to work on my Y580, so I had to try changing some settings in my bios. Well, I changed the wrong one, and it resulted in disaster. I lost my display on the laptop, no vga out, and no HDMI output. So I ended up with a black screen on every option I could think of. I was kicking myself in the ass over killing my precious laptop! I could still hear windows boot up, so at least all hope was not lost. I actually took a picture of the bios window with my phone a couple days prior to this happening, and it saved me. I unplugged everything, turned it over it took out my drives, and battery. I flipped it back over, put the battery back in, plugged it back in, and pressed the power button, waited a few seconds and pressed f~2. I waited about 15 seconds, and pressed f~9 enter, and f~10 enter. The f2 takes me to my bios, f9 restores default settings, and f10 saves changes, and exits. My lappy rebooted when I pressed the final enter keystroke, and I crossed my fingers, and there it was...... My display was back!!!!!:love-struck::love-struck::love-struck: I hope this can help someone else in my predicament.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same situation as badmoonrzin last night. Playing about with settings to get eGPU Beast to work with Quadro FX580.

The USB boot method did the trick for me several times.

USB: Kingston DataTraveler Micro 8 GB(tried with DT(not micro) 16 GB and did not work) Formatted to FAT32 2048

File Names: QIWY3.bi QIWY3.bin QIWY3.FD QIWY3.ROM QIWY3207.ROM( not sure which one worked)

1. Remove Battery and power cord

2. Plug in USB

3. Hold FN + B and plug power cord

4. While still holding FN + B quickly press and release the power button

5. Fan will start to blow at full speed and after about 45 sec a beeping sound is heard, in another 60 sec it should be all done, laptop restarts itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does the BIOS mod unlock Wake on LAN?

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

It appears when you shut her down, the lights on the Ethernet port go out, suggesting that the card is being turned off with the rest of the machine. This happens even when the laptop is plugged in.

WOL from sleep works fine, WOL from hibernate and shutdown do not.

Interestingly the adapter "Qualcomm Atheros Ar8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller" appears to support WOL as it has the options under the advanced tab in device manager. (Wake on magic packet, wake on pattern match, Shutdown wake up etc).

The modded bios I have 5DCN90WW(v8.01) has the options "Wake on PME" and "Wake on Modem Ring" (both enabled) which don't appear to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i'm currently on the leaked beta (5DCN87WW v.0.90) is there a official update or something available to get to bios 8.1? Or is there a unlocked version for this beta version available?

I want to have a unlocked version of this bios to get secure boot and the unlocked settings both. :)

Thanks!

edit: got it! i downloaded an original 8.01 bios from someone on this forum and flashed it. then i had version 8.01 as bios and ec (what ever this is, still the beta). then i applied the fix and flashed again. now i got the modded bios (still with old ec).

I dont know do i have to worry about the different versions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had a problem when I was flashing unlocked bios. I did backup my orginal bios with "Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit".

Then I did everything with instruction but finally I had an error 104. I fixed this error with instruction but after that I saw

new error 103 "There are no supported SPI flash devices installed. Please check connectivy and orientation of SPI flash devices."

Now I have error 103 and I don't know what to do. Can anyone give me advice ? I do everything on Windows 10.

Hi ​svl7Please help me, I have a problem I do not know what to do, where I can not upload bios Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip,

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.

I bought here, elite member so I could download it, but report the error to me, could you do that via TeamViewer fix?

when will you have some time ?

Thank you very much in advance

• 4 weeks later...
Hi ​svl7Please help me, I have a problem I do not know what to do, where I can not upload bios Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip,

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.

I bought here, elite member so I could download it, but report the error to me, could you do that via TeamViewer fix?

when will you have some time ?

Thank you very much in advance

Teamviewer isn't possible, assuming that problem occurred outside of Windows.

And you really have to prepare the BIOS file properly.

No saying what could go wrong if you force, better double check.

Can I restore back to the stock 2.07 firmware?

Flashing the firmware from Lenovo gives the error "The version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios."

Thank you.

(My fix was submitted on Nov, 19, 2013 at about 9PM EST and should appear after this one.)

I found my way back here after I restored my bios back to stock to check something. (I was having power issues, was a bad power adapter)

Read a little further thinking that I would have re-tried posting the solution, but I could not find it.

Saw mention from a mod(Prema) that something bugged up in my post and it just wasn't there, never made it to the server to post.

Then saw my post was edited by Prema.

So I'm going to post again because I know I'll end up finding my way back here to be disappointed in myself that I never posted the solution.

Realized that it was the FIRST search result in google and that 2 years later, thought I would try again to explain how to get the flash to work when you get "The version of rom file isn't newer than version of bios."

Open platform.ini in notepad.

Find the line number 3: "SwitchString=ACEN DCEN CPVER:[1] FHRST RESSEN"

Change the "RESSEN" to "RESSDIS"

Save the file then launch InsydeFlash.exe.

That's it, I'll edit my original post too for convince if I can.

Let's hope this post makes it to the forum this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello guys.. I'm using @svl7 Bios v2.07 to remove the whitelist on wifi adapters. Now I'm using Intel 7260AC dual Band adapter and it has no problems on windows 7. BUt when I fresh installed windows 10 the wifi seem to be turned off, and I can turn it on. Any help guys would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if I need to change the bios version to v8.0x or not because My laptop was preinstalled with a 2.0x version of BIOS.. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I am having issues since changing a Video setting ins SVL 2.06, My laptop boots but I cannot see anything.

I have been trying for hours now just to reset the BIOS to default.

Does anyone know if the CMOS on a Lenovo Y580 is under the keyboard bezel? I am having trouble finding it to remove it.

Or maybe someone can help me do a correct blind flash of a Lenovo Y580?

thanks

Good morning,

I would really appreciate it if one of the experienced members could chime in on how to do a blind flash/bios recovery for a lenovo Y580.

I made a video change with the unlocked v2.06 and cannot currently access anything (no screens).

thanks

I'm not sure if this is related to the modified BIOS but I need to ask.

A little while ago I flashed these bios and a few weeks later my power brick burned up.

About a month ago I flashed these modified bios and a few days ago my hard drive just completely died. I think it was baked by heat.

The Fan speed does not seem to go up as high as stock bios while running the modified ones.

Could these events be related to the modified Bios or something I changed in the Bios?

• 3 weeks later...