Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

windows 8 not work :(

?

Is it safe to overclocking 660m to 1000MHz? Does it not generate to much heat?

Well, people asked me to push the 660m a bit, and as a former 660m user I know that 1000MHz shouldn't be a problem at all, even at stock voltage. Since I didn't touch the voltage, the additional heat shouldn't be much.

• Thumbs Up 3

New to the forums. Seems I need to flash the 2.07 to get raid for installing SSD as cache but I get an error that says I have a newer version. How do I get around that?

If you already have installed the 2.07 bios without mods you have to change the last word in the third line of the file "platform.ini" from "RESSEN" to "RESSDIS".

• Thumbs Up 2

What's your version?

Works like a charm!

screenshot.png

I had to use ur links and roll back to 2.06 in order to install it. I simply just flashed your 2.06 then went to 2.07 Unlocked. Thanks Svl7

As soon as I get my paypal account sorted expect a beer:).

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, people asked me to push the 660m a bit, and as a former 660m user I know that 1000MHz shouldn't be a problem at all, even at stock voltage. Since I didn't touch the voltage, the additional heat shouldn't be much.

Thx for answer. Is there any option in bios to change the 660m frequency or it is fixed and no changes is available.

Managed to get the 660m 20% above max stock oc. (1164 Mhz core, and 1375 Mhz memory) Edit Final ( 1230 Mhz core, and 1375 Mhz memory)

Tested on Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Aliens: Colonial Marines With SweetFX mod (Look close to E3 demo that they faked :) really good job)

Still haven't had the opportunity to see the actually bios and what it unlocked, but honestly I'm happy enough with the Video card OC...this thing has NOOOO problem being OCed...I might have been one of the lucky 660m holders:)

The 660m should have a better chance of OCing than the 650m from what I've seen and the 640m (w/gddr5), seeing as I believe that the cards are branded according to testing.

In other words if a 660m fails to hold it's clocks its downclocked and marketed as a 650m. Thats what my understand is:)

again thank you svl7!

Hi,

First of all thank you for your work! Its really nice to have all features unlocked. Though can you write a guide about new functions? What do they do? Which of them aren't working.

Maybe it was already asked, but will there be an option to overclock cpu?

Thx in advance.

I don't have such a system to test it myself, and I haven't even seen pictures of all the sub-menus, I've only seen the main menus. It would be nice if anyone with the mod could take pictures of the more interesting sub-menus, e.g. advanced cpu control.

It's possible that you can overclock the 37xxm, 38xxm CPUs a bit (they have a semi unlocked multi, which allows you to raise it by 4) but it depends on the bios implementation whether this is going to work.

The TDP stuff which should be available in the advanced cpu control will allow you to tweak the cpu performance to a certain degree, it's not overclocking but you can make it sustain turbo boost for a longer time, as long as the temps are fine.

Hi Svl7,

I took pictures of all the configurable options in the v8.01 unlocked bios, i'm guessing we can change the Long Duration TimeWindow option above the default 28 seconds under Advanced CPU control.

I have no idea what most of these options mean, so if you could let us know anything we can tweak for higher performance I would greatly appreciate it.

Lenovo Y580 Unlocked - Imgur

• Thumbs Up 1

I overclocked mine to 1200MHz and +350MHz on the memory. No problems yet, but temperatures do hit the upper 70C range.

Yeah, I have mine overclocked to 1275 and 3000 memory, I was having throttling issues due to heat, so I re-applied the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu and now it runs great. Max temp is now 81c

Thx svl7. I created a dumb of my bios to edit the vbios. Can i change the boost clock in vbios? Which name has the extracted vbios file? It´s the first nvidia card of my life. i only know radeon bios ^^

Sorry for bad english, if is bad ^^

greetings from Germany

The latest on Lenovo's site isn't the latest which is out there on certain systems. The newest I've seen is v8.01 which corresponds to the '90' version if I'm not mistaken. And the latest available for download from the support site is still '40' aka 2.07.

ok that makes more sense. i have v8.0 on my system but im having problems with the PC locking up while playing graphic intensive games and did some searching around and found that Lenovo had addressed this in a bios upgrade. odd thing is, on the support site it says ver '40' but the release is jan 2013.

sense it does not make.

Well, there's the Win7 and Win8 version of the bios. Lenovo so far only posted a Win7 version on their site (v2.07 - '40'). It seems that this fix isn't included in v8.0 (which is in fact older).

Why exactly Lenovo decided to provide a separate update for Win7 systems only is something I can't explain, because it's totally possible to have the same Win8 conform bios on Win7 and Win8 systems... it would only make sense to push the v8.0x bios versions to all systems, including the ones which got delivered with Win7. Blame Lenovo...

i dont understand why an update would go back in version number, but i'm assuming they separated win8 and 7 because of the windows 8 bios based serial numbers?

Does your bios include the fixes from v2.07 though (i.e. pc locking during gaming)? Thanks for the quick replies by the way :)

Yeah exactly, as I tried to explain in my previous post, for some reason Lenovo seems to provide a separate bios update for Win7 and Win8 users, don't ask me why.

They didn't actually go back in the version since the previous one was '39' (v2.06), for Win7 that is.

I didn't include such a fix, not sure if it's possible to get it work like that... the problem is that this can be related to the EC, and we don't have the possibility to flash the EC at the moment. We need an official firmware upgrade from Lenovo for the v8.0x version, i.e. a complete update which includes all parts and not only bios.

I could patch something together, but that's not necessarily a good idea, especially as we see that updating from v8.00 to v8.01 without changing the EC results in issues.