Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I have a Lenovo Y580 with 5DCN90WW (V8.01) BIOS and I want to remove the WL.

I want to make a copy using fdpw64 but I got an error:

"Error 104: The 2 SPI Flash devices do not have compatible command set."

The 'Error 104' - fix I have another error:

"Error 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed."

I have a Lenovo Y580 with 5DCN90WW (V8.01) BIOS and I want to remove the WL.

I want to make a copy using fdpw64 but I got an error:

"Error 104: The 2 SPI Flash devices do not have compatible command set."

The 'Error 104' - fix I have another error:

"Error 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed."

I remember seeing this mentioned in earlier posts. Search the thread, you should find the solution.

Hi!

I brick my Y580 when tried flash unlocked BIOS 8.01 over 8.00. I was trying to restore BIOS all weekend, but have no rezults. My PC started, switch on fan and switch off. But yesterday I plugged vattery, inserted flash drive with unlocked 8.00 into USB 2.0 port and pushed different "Fn+..." and "Win+.." combination, and my laptop switched on and started restore BIOS. Unfortunaly it`s not help.

I tied to reflash my backup, but I get same situation: PC started, switch on fan and switch off.

Maybe I pushed some kinde of "key combo" reseted CMOS... Does anybody have any idea what can happened?

Does anybody know where the cmos battery is located exactly? I flashed the 8.01 modded bios a few months back and haven't had any trouble. But I went into standby yesterday and now I cannot get it to boot back up, no POST or anything.

*EDIT*

I found the cmos battery after opening up all the components, shorted it and made no difference. I have been trying the insyde recovery methods but it does not seem to accept the files I throw at it, like QIWY3.bin.

• 2 weeks later...
I can verify that the v2.0x mod works with my wife's Y580, I have yet to try the v8.01 on my own Y580 though.

8.01 was working on mine for a few months now but a week or so back my laptop stopped POSTing. I had stock 8.01 before flashing the modded one. Still trying to figure out the recovery method though to restore to the original bios.

• 3 weeks later...

I have problem with my Y580, I was accidentaly installed G580 bios for Y580. Now flashed with right original Y580 bios 5DCN90WW (V8.01), but EC version still remains for G580 5ECN96WW. Due to this fact some functions doesn't work: keyboard backlight and some functional buttons. Already tried to flash with modded bios version from first page, but EC version still remains. I think, that EC change is not included in BIOS file. Could you help me how can I get back EC version to factory?

I have attached original Y580 BIOS file 5DCN90WW (V8.01) - it's factory backup from laptop with right EC version.

801BIOS (1).zip

I have problem with my Y580, I was accidentaly installed G580 bios for Y580. Now flashed with right original Y580 bios 5DCN90WW (V8.01), but EC version still remains for G580 5ECN96WW. Due to this fact some functions doesn't work: keyboard backlight and some functional buttons. Already tried to flash with modded bios version from first page, but EC version still remains. I think, that EC change is not included in BIOS file. Could you help me how can I get back EC version to factory?

I have attached original Y580 BIOS file 5DCN90WW (V8.01) - it's factory backup from laptop with right EC version.

Try restoring it via BIOS recovery. Search this thread for "bios recovery" and select my username in adv search, I posted a tut some pages back.

• 2 weeks later...

Never gave a second thought to my wireless card in the y580 (always hardwired) until I moved recently and started using wireless. I wasn't aware that such an awful card accompanied this laptop. All my devices were receiving the 5ghz signal from my Asus router except for the most expensive, seemingly most advanced of all: the Y580. Also ran into problems with the 2200's compatibility with certain Linux OS's.

So I decide to buy a new card and find that there's a whitelist? This type of proprietary garbage should be unlawful. If I wanted to buy specific/limited hardware, I would have bought a Mac.

Now on to the unnecessary time waste of modding my BIOS. Next time I think I'll skip over Lenovo when dropping $1300 on a laptop.

Hi everybody , i just bought a lenovo y580 , with fresh install w8 and the las graphics drivers , i obtein in 3dmark06 only 13548 . If i repeat the benchmark ,this decrease to 12800...

the temp in graphics is always less than 71ºc . Is it OK? i monitored it with msi afterburner. I´m thinking upgrade to an unlocked bios because i dont have thermal issues.

Anyone have the issue of decreasing performance?

Hi everybody , i just bought a lenovo y580 , with fresh install w8 and the las graphics drivers , i obtein in 3dmark06 only 13548 . If i repeat the benchmark ,this decrease to 12800...

the temp in graphics is always less than 71ºc . Is it OK? i monitored it with msi afterburner. I´m thinking upgrade to an unlocked bios because i dont have thermal issues.

Anyone have the issue of decreasing performance?

I do some test changuing energy setting (lenovo performance), and now i obtein 93ºc while i play at BT4 betwen 35 and 45 FPS, with medium setting at 1920x1080. Turbo is always working ( 935Mhz ) and processor at 100% in energy setting. If i changue the energy settings to Balanced, the temperature decrease to 83-84ºc ...

I have a question, If i changue to unlocked bios , with 1Ghz fix in core of graphics car ,could i have overheating? (more than 93ºc when i play)

Thanks everybody.

I do some test changuing energy setting (lenovo performance), and now i obtein 93ºc while i play at BT4 betwen 35 and 45 FPS, with medium setting at 1920x1080. Turbo is always working ( 935Mhz ) and processor at 100% in energy setting. If i changue the energy settings to Balanced, the temperature decrease to 83-84ºc ...

I have a question, If i changue to unlocked bios , with 1Ghz fix in core of graphics car ,could i have overheating? (more than 93ºc when i play)

Thanks everybody.

If you are already seeing 93C you most likely will see higher temps with 1Ghz, and potentially see your computer shut off to protect the GPU.

What you should do, even if you don't install the modded BIOS, is to repaste your laptop. I saw 93C (with artifacts) before I repasted and had temps drop roughly 20C afterwards using Tuniq TX-4, depending on the game. The highest I have seen it go at 1Ghz is around 78C.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you are already seeing 93C you most likely will see higher temps with 1Ghz, and potentially see your computer shut off to protect the GPU.

What you should do, even if you don't install the modded BIOS, is to repaste your laptop. I saw 93C (with artifacts) before I repasted and had temps drop roughly 20C afterwards using Tuniq TX-4, depending on the game. The highest I have seen it go at 1Ghz is around 78C.

thank you very much! :peaceful:

I try to buy today , and repaste this week. i take some photos of temps , from before and after repaste.if it drops 20c , i install the modded BIOS :lemo:

thank you very much! :peaceful:

I try to buy today , and repaste this week. i take some photos of temps , from before and after repaste.if it drops 20c , i install the modded BIOS :lemo:

If you expect your temps to drop 20C based on others' results, you will probably be disappointed. There may be others, as well as myself, who saw drops like what I did, but there are so many variables in repasting that you may see less than what I and others saw. Do your own research into the thermal paste that is right for you and "proper" methods to reapply the paste you choose. Don't go by what others have said/done. Evaluate whether or not you want to install the modded BIOS on the results you see afterwards and if you will benefit in doing so.

Although this is a rather constructive forum and pretty much lacks any ill-will, this is still the Internet.

Did someone succesfully recovered the y580 (with default bios v 8.00 5DCN89WW) ? I am aware that andys tool will give you the recovery name but mine backup file gives a giberish name in andys tool. The recovery metod is working (aka fan full usb reading...) but no file is accepted (QIWY3 QIWY4 even the one for z580 qiwg5)

Did someone succesfully recovered the y580 (with default bios v 8.00 5DCN89WW) ? I am aware that andys tool will give you the recovery name but mine backup file gives a giberish name in andys tool. The recovery metod is working (aka fan full usb reading...) but no file is accepted (QIWY3 QIWY4 even the one for z580 qiwg5)

I have been trying for over a month to recover my 8.00 bios to no avail, I still randomly try different file names if I have the will to do it.

Hi there. I've been thinking about flashing your BIOS, but I have one doubt. Is the BIOS version kinda related to a OS ? Do I need a special BIOS version depending what OS version laptop i got ? I see there are two basic versions: 2.0x and 8.0x I don't want to brick my laptop so I need to be sure. I've got 2.07 BIOS (from Lenovo website) and originally my Y580 was without an OS. Now I am on Windows 8.1, So what BIOS version should i flash ? 'Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) -> unlocked, whitelist removed, Nvidia 660m @ 1GHz default 3d clocks,' this one ?