Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Scitus,

Error 284 fix is to switch to legacy mode from UFEI mode in the bios.

You need to disable UFEI boot in bios and put that in legacy mode before making a backup. This should be the first step in the instructions but it appears to be missing. You cannot make a bios backup with this tool or boot into dos before first switching to legacy mode. After you flash the new bios you can switch back to UFEI mode. I successfully did his on my v8.01 lenovo Y580 running windows 8.1.

Hello, i'm interested in GPU overclock higher then 1085mhz, as i understand i need to install unlocked bios. Link in first post for unlocked 2.07 (50DCN40WW) is leading nowhere, can i have new one?

Any "cons"?

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3926-gtx-660m-y580-overvoltage-increase-clocks-you-can-request-any-vbios-am-up-%3D.html

hy to all,

excuse me for my English. In first post the file Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip((8.01) has extension *.ROM and the another one Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.00 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip(8.00) has extension *.BIN. i first tried 8.00 which is BIN file it worked fine but missed all board serial number. when i tried 8.01 ROM file with fpt and BIOS-fix all procedure you mention earlier. my laptop got bricked. pleas guide me and explain to me difference extension matter or not. min original version is 8.01. now i recovered min laptop.

You're missing serial numbers because chances are, you did not properly follow the backup procedure in the first post's instructions. I don't think .bin or .rom matter much, and if you use the search button, you'll see I posted a very in depth guide on how to do a recovery.

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the questions being asked could be answered using search? I personally don't care, but you could save yourself quite a lot of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got a newer BIOS backup (BIOS only, no EC) which is 5DCN91WW(V8.02) from a user at Lenovo Support forum.

The BIOS date is 2014/XX/XX. That means the Y480/Y580 BIOS is still being updated.

Could you just updated the modded version if interested?

Here is the BIOS link

This new Y580 Bios LENOVO 5DCN91WW V8.02 question... - Lenovo Community

I PM the user to get it directly. I don't think it needed to doubt after the communication with the user in email for detail.

That's strange that an admin removed the BIOS download link even though it's one of their own.

Moderator comment: Link to BIOS of unknown origin removed.

What is your current EC version, what BIOS version were running before flashing 8.02, and what is your stock BIOS version?

No surprise here. Though it's one of their own, they never release full pack of BIOS 5DCN90WW(include 5DEC90WW).

Link are removed because they don't wan't the WIN8 BIOS to be public.

Mine are more special with 5DEC40WW(V2.07) running 5DCN90WW(V8.01) (stock 5DCN40WW). And for I am using Intel W-N 6250 wireless card out of whitelist so I haven't try it.

So I'd like to find out if anyone is willing to do some research?

Hi!

New user here with Lenovo Y580. Recently I've been trying to get intel RST technology to work with no success.

Before I did anything to the laptop I created a restore flash drive to make sure I can restore the system to original if anything goes wrong.

I than formatted my two drives (750GB HDD + 16GB ssd) and installed the OS on the HDD. I made sure in that AHCI mode is on.

After the installation completed I installed RST drivers and no acceleration option available meaning no chaching.

From what I under stand from reading here and from searching the web RAID mode must be enabled.

Does any one have any experience regarding that issue?

Is installing the unlocked bios is my only option for getting RST caching to work?

Many thanks

Hi!

New user here with Lenovo Y580. Recently I've been trying to get intel RST technology to work with no success.

Before I did anything to the laptop I created a restore flash drive to make sure I can restore the system to original if anything goes wrong.

I than formatted my two drives (750GB HDD + 16GB ssd) and installed the OS on the HDD. I made sure in that AHCI mode is on.

After the installation completed I installed RST drivers and no acceleration option available meaning no chaching.

From what I under stand from reading here and from searching the web RAID mode must be enabled.

Does any one have any experience regarding that issue?

Is installing the unlocked bios is my only option for getting RST caching to work?

Many thanks

I haven't been able to get RST to work, but I did manage to get express cache to work. This is on a clean windows 8.1 installation.

I haven't been able to get RST to work, but I did manage to get express cache to work. This is on a clean windows 8.1 installation.

Thanks.

Is it different from RST? How is your performance and programs start up?

How to setup an eGPU with Y580:

1. Buy/get a PE4L-PM060A adaptor, GPU, and an appropirate PSU which is able to provide steady 12V/16A (or you can use two PSUs if your PSU can provide it but not at a steady rate.).
  2. Although not necessary, go ahead and download svl7's unlocked BIOS here. When I was troubleshooting my setup to get it working, I reverted to stock BIOS thinking the problem lied there, but eventually upon random startups, it would be buggy, and sometimes take a while AFTER rebooting for the display to switch from the internal LCD to an external monitor. Unlocking it lets you change an option that the stock does not allow, it also lets you tweak some other settings which may improve CPU performance.
  3. Go into the BIOS, and under configuration, change SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS to UMA GRAPHICS.

1. If you've unlocked it, go to Advanced settings, then to Video settings, select PCI Graphics (or PCI express, ... I'm writing this from memory), then change primary display to Auto-selected. For some better CPU performance, go to the power tab, CPU settings, then disable C-States, disable MSR Lock, and set the last two settings to the maximum. You can do this by hitting f6/f5 (can't remember which) after highlighting the option. Hit F10 to save and exit. If you don't have Throttlestop 6.0 already, download it, start it, and go to TPL settings (which are now unlocked thanks to disabled MSR Lock), and change 26 to 56 for the time setting, then set the long and short TDP to however you see fit. I personally use 56 for long and 60 for short. Apply, OK. Uninstall your NVIDIA drivers (I recommend DDU) and Lenovo Power Management.

2. Power down everything (duh) and plug the PE4L in the WiFi slot or the empty modem slot (WiFi slot is easier since you can screw it). Flip your laptop over so it is upright, making sure it's on a flat surface. Plug in your GPU and any necessary 6-pin cables from your PSU along with your SWEX. And last but not least the floppy molex, peripheral cable to 4 pin cable onto the PE4L adaptor itself. If you don't have SWEX, you can just grab a paperclip, cut it into a U shape, put one end on the green wire hole space thing on the 20/24 ping PSU power cable and the other end in any black one (there is a black wire right next to the green). Place electric tape over the exposed part of the paperclip to secure it.
      1. If by chance your PSU *should* be capable, but you are having issues (like me), you can use two PSUs by having the second PSU power the PE4L adapter using the floppy molex. Use a second SWEX if you have one, or do the paper clip method.

[*]Power up both PSUs (the GPU fan/s should be spinning), wait a second then turn on your y580, install drivers and enjoy.

I'll post pics later.

3DMARK11.

6111 seems to be my max, since I can't push the clocks further than 1084/3225 core/mem, but it's probably that I don't have a "proper" PSU and/or know the right voltage.

Here's a vantage score, I only ran it once since I don't use it very often.

• Thumbs Up 4

6111 seems to be my max, since I can't push the clocks further than 1084/3225 core/mem, but it's probably that I don't have a "proper" PSU and/or know the right voltage.

Here's a vantage score, I only ran it once since I don't use it very often.

Wow, nice!! What about 3DMark Firestrike 1.1 (the latest one) score?

I've been having difficult since installing Windows 8.1 with mSATA drives. I installed a fresh Windows on my ssd and mSATA disconnected, updated drivers, and then turned it off to reinstall mSATA. For some reason having the mSATA there is preventing me from booting into the ssd's windows. Has anyone else had problems with the Y580 mSATA?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12247[/ATTACH]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7asppsk9wr4zbu9/LENOVO-5DCN91WW%28V8.02%29.rom

As it is confirmed a new edition, I think it necessary to be explored and modded.

I have posted it before, but it seems that svl7 never comes here again.(busy maybe)

Could someone get svl7 informed?

Or someone with an SPI programmer and some BIOS modding experience*

EDIT: Is the microcode updated? New options? Are the release notes available somewhere?