Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

OK, so I tried to run the backup, it just flashes a command prompt then goes away. Did it do anything?? I am running it as administrator and I have my anti-virus off.

I downloaded a bios backup tool, which saves it as a .rom. I can tell it to save as a .bin. But if I use this tool and not the one I downloaded here, will it properly flash?? Or is that fparts list in the folder important to this process?

What I meant was a clean install.

As for the second part of your post, I have no clue since I am not that knowledgeable about the flashing process.

What I meant was a clean install.

As for the second part of your post, I have no clue since I am not that knowledgeable about the flashing process.

I am not sure what clean install you are referring to.

However I did use the backup tool I found to make a .bin backup. I assumed since the fparts list was used later, that it was just part of the package for the fit.zip, not necessary in the backup phase. Then I did the fix, which had no issues. I placed prr, fpt, fixed bios and part list onto the usb drive, and had a slight problem getting it to boot. I forgot to put it in legacy mode. After that, I ran the per and voila, installed without problem. Booted up, checked the bios, and svl7's mod is working fine.

Put my new wlan card in, downloaded the drivers, and now I no longer have to disconnect and reconnect to my wlan when coming out of sleep. I will test the performance over a few hours of gaming to see if the card does the same thing as the last one(losing network every 1 1/2 hours).

As soon as I get home today, svl7 gets a case of beer.

I am not sure what clean install you are referring to.

However I did use the backup tool I found to make a .bin backup. I assumed since the fparts list was used later, that it was just part of the package for the fit.zip, not necessary in the backup phase. Then I did the fix, which had no issues. I placed prr, fpt, fixed bios and part list onto the usb drive, and had a slight problem getting it to boot. I forgot to put it in legacy mode. After that, I ran the per and voila, installed without problem. Booted up, checked the bios, and svl7's mod is working fine.

Put my new wlan card in, downloaded the drivers, and now I no longer have to disconnect and reconnect to my wlan when coming out of sleep. I will test the performance over a few hours of gaming to see if the card does the same thing as the last one(losing network every 1 1/2 hours).

As soon as I get home today, svl7 gets a case of beer.

My bad... I confused your post with another and gave the wrong advice.

Glad to hear you got it to work!

My bad... I confused your post with another and gave the wrong advice.

Glad to hear you got it to work!

I am even going to see what the speed boost does for my gfx card. Might leave it on if it is significant.

hy.. my laptop is lenovo y580.. sorry for my English. i messed up my laptop bios but went to shop and they recover bios for me but now my laptop backlight i mean buttons light not working. i checked my bios version than i found that there is difference between Bios version 5DCN90WW 8.01 and EC version 5DCN96WW v9.01. how can i fix that, can some one help me plz.. here is the link of my bios

Free File Sharing and Storage made Simple.

hy.. my laptop is lenovo y580.. sorry for my English. i messed up my laptop bios but went to shop and they recover bios for me but now my laptop backlight i mean buttons light not working. i checked my bios version than i found that there is difference between Bios version 5DCN90WW 8.01 and EC version 5DCN96WW v9.01. how can i fix that, can some one help me plz.. here is the link of my bios

Ummmmm....

To control the display backlighting you press the Orange Fn key and either the Up or Down Arrow Keys. If you have a non-factory display you only get Minimum or Maximum brightness.

For the keyboard backlight you press Fn and the Space bar. The service techs may not have reconnected all of the ribbon cables so removing the keyboard and double checking that they are indeed connected could fix it. I have no clue how old your laptop (or keyboard) is so the backlights could have died if they do not turn on.

Guys, anybody managed to get Shadowplay to work on Windows 7 64bit? I'm starting to think it's because we use modified BIOS...

I will try tommorow with new Watch Dogs drivers, and if I don't post it works, then it doesn't :(

Ummmmm....

To control the display backlighting you press the Orange Fn key and either the Up or Down Arrow Keys. If you have a non-factory display you only get Minimum or Maximum brightness.

For the keyboard backlight you press Fn and the Space bar. The service techs may not have reconnected all of the ribbon cables so removing the keyboard and double checking that they are indeed connected could fix it. I have no clue how old your laptop (or keyboard) is so the backlights could have died if they do not turn on.

thanx for reply

i know about Fn function button. i did mistakanly flash bios (5DCN96WW v9.01) of g580 on y580, after that my hard drive not shown in bios and i couldn't boot into my operating system. i did more mistake and my laptop gone mini brick. well, recovered from technical service shop but now facing problem of dis-function of backlight. when i saw my laptop bios there is difference between bios version and EC version. what should i do to make them same? you can check my laptop bios pic from the link below

click on it

additional information... UEFI setting not working. now using legacy for hard drive to boot window.

Bios version 5DCN90WW v8.01

EC version 5DCN96WW v9.01

lenovo y580

backlights and volume buttons not working maybe because of NVRAM not clear during roll back from wrong bios version. any help would be appreciate

additional information... UEFI setting not working. now using legacy for hard drive to boot window.

lenovo y580

backlights and volume buttons not working maybe because of NVRAM not clear during roll back from wrong bios version. any help would be appreciate

Guys, anybody managed to get Shadowplay to work on Windows 7 64bit? I'm starting to think it's because we use modified BIOS...

I will try tommorow with new Watch Dogs drivers, and if I don't post it works, then it doesn't :(

If you looked back a few pages you would have seen that I posted the EXACT same thing. It is a driver problem, not a BIOS problem; and it still does not work with the new drivers.

thanx for reply

i know about Fn function button. i did mistakanly flash bios (5DCN96WW v9.01) of g580 on y580, after that my hard drive not shown in bios and i couldn't boot into my operating system. i did more mistake and my laptop gone mini brick. well, recovered from technical service shop but now facing problem of dis-function of backlight. when i saw my laptop bios there is difference between bios version and EC version. what should i do to make them same? you can check my laptop bios pic from the link below

click on it

lenovo y580

Backlight for what? You still haven't specified. If the volume functions don't work also then you need to replace your keyboard.

You are the first person with a v9 of anything on this thread.

If you looked back a few pages you would have seen that I posted the EXACT same thing. It is a driver problem, not a BIOS problem; and it still does not work with the new drivers.

Backlight for what? You still haven't specified. If the volume functions don't work also then you need to replace your keyboard.

You are the first person with a v9 of anything on this thread.

thanks for reply..

function button working, with volume, brightnes etc except backlight. backlight mean when i press Fn+space button all keyboard glow in lenovo y580. and also there is separate volume mute button not working. backlight and mute button stop working when i flash wrong version 5DCN96WW v9.01... after recover back to original bios 5DCN90WW v8.01. but EC version could,nt back to original. i think because of the difference between ec and bios version these button not working.

i am just asking that how can i fix this problem. and if you ask than i will tell the whole story.

thanks for reply..

function button working, with volume, brightnes etc except backlight. backlight mean when i press Fn+space button all keyboard glow in lenovo y580. and also there is separate volume mute button not working. backlight and mute button stop working when i flash wrong version 5DCN96WW v9.01... after recover back to original bios 5DCN90WW v8.01. but EC version could,nt back to original. i think because of the difference between ec and bios version these button not working.

i am just asking that how can i fix this problem. and if you ask than i will tell the whole story.

Take your laptop apart and check that the ribbon cables are connected to the motherboard.

Hello, i'm interested in GPU overclock higher then 1085mhz, as i understand i need to install unlocked bios. Link in first post for unlocked 2.07 (50DCN40WW) is leading nowhere, can i have new one?

Any "cons"?

Thx. Before i try it, maybe there is a chance to find original 2.07, without any special menus, but with unlocked gpu overclock? I'm even ok with WLAN limitations, i'm just interested in overclock and really scary about opened menus.

hy to all,

excuse me for my English. In first post the file Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.01 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip((8.01) has extension *.ROM and the another one Lenovo Y580 - Y480 BIOS v8.00 (5DCN90WW) - Mod.zip(8.00) has extension *.BIN. i first tried 8.00 which is BIN file it worked fine but missed all board serial number. when i tried 8.01 ROM file with fpt and BIOS-fix all procedure you mention earlier. my laptop got bricked. pleas guide me and explain to me difference extension matter or not. min original version is 8.01. now i recovered min laptop.

i backup my laptop bios before flashing modified version. when i tried flash back to original bios through backup bios file with fpt.exe, it give me error 28. protected range registers are currently set by bios, preventing flash etc... here is the link

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BygyUiKaMK5BY3FyOUVnSERzbDQ/edit

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting plz some one fix my lenovo y580 laptop. Request for original default bios. Can any one arrange for me biosfile.bin which I just flash with bootable USB fpt tool etc . I mistakenly flash wrong bios and now my laptop not detecting hard drive. Now I have wrong bios on my laptop. I did everything. Look to top post I mention all my problem which I faced. I am desperate and want default original and ready to flash *.bin 4mb size file, it's an request plzzzz

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone please attach to the 1st post an information how to recovery your BIOS if you won't succeed?

I remember that I had to recover my BIOS once, it would be very helpful and safe much time finding the answer in the first post.

Well it just an idea don't take me wrong :P

sorry to make double posts but I just noticed (not sure if I am right) that battery life was shortened after installing the unlocked BIOS.

Have you change any volt values? I am not sure what the default values were as I have never checked it before flashing.

Can anybody tell me if there are the same ?

I keep failing on creating the backup.

Using the backup.bat does nothing. By using the command prompt (via admin ofc) I keep getting error 284.

Also disabled AV and Win Def.

Would love some help.