Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

sorry for the stupid question, is the Y480 bios compatible with Y400 model?

No.

can u give me the tools needed to flash bios for z510

i want to downgrade it

it's insyde

You are in the wrong forum.

Create a new one saying exactly what you want to do here:

Lenovo / IBM

just tried to update bios for y580 but got an error.

Whatever your error code is, it most likely has already been answered in this thread. If you read from the beginning or search this thread, you will be able to find an answer.

I made huge mistake and need your advice to help me solve my problem.

I have flashed accidentally my bios with wrong version. I have Y580 (v bios: 5dcn40ww) but instaled bios from G580 (v bios: 5ecn96ww). Flashing proces went smoothly w/o any errors but after restart my HDD is not visable in bios.

tel me how to reflash bios through dos or bootable usb plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I made huge mistake and need your advice to help me solve my problem.

I have flashed accidentally my bios with wrong version. I have Y580 (v bios: 5dcn40ww) but instaled bios from G580 (v bios: 5ecn96ww). Flashing proces went smoothly w/o any errors but after restart my HDD is not visable in bios.

tel me how to reflash bios through dos or bootable usb plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Already has been explained in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi

I have a little problem with my Y580 and I wanted to check every possibility that there is...

I have used Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) (don't remember where I got it thought - it was long ago) version of modded BIOS.

Short description of problem itself:

Last Thursday I've closed lid of my laptop as usual to get it to sleep. When I opened it few hours later I saw Windows 7 boot prompt with two options: boot normally and recovery. Both did the same thing - reboot to this screen again. After investigating I found out that system partition had a lot of files corrupted, to the extend that recovery CD didn't see this partition at all.

Many hours later I manage to recover some files and reinstall Windows on *new* drive (I bought mSATA SSD). During installation process laptop has rebooted many times. It worked for one day during which it was rebooted, putting to sleep mode etc. and worked just fine. When I got up this morning I turn it on only to find out boot prompt instead of Windows...

There are only few things I can thing about that could cause this:

1. Some virus that is stored in BIOS.

2. Something is wrong in moded BIOS (like controller).

3. I have another partition (big storage) that could have virus two but I doubt it.

As you may see there are two possibilities that involves moded BIOS. And like I said - I want to exclude everything that I can in a quest of pin down this issue...

This thread has over 100 pages so there's no way for me to read everything. That's way I would like to ask you for your help. Did you have or seen someone who have problem like this?

Or maybe you have some tips?

Hi

I have a little problem with my Y580 and I wanted to check every possibility that there is...

I have used Lenovo Y580 / Y480 BIOS v2.07 (5DCN40WW) (don't remember where I got it thought - it was long ago) version of modded BIOS.

Short description of problem itself:

Last Thursday I've closed lid of my laptop as usual to get it to sleep. When I opened it few hours later I saw Windows 7 boot prompt with two options: boot normally and recovery. Both did the same thing - reboot to this screen again. After investigating I found out that system partition had a lot of files corrupted, to the extend that recovery CD didn't see this partition at all.

Many hours later I manage to recover some files and reinstall Windows on *new* drive (I bought mSATA SSD). During installation process laptop has rebooted many times. It worked for one day during which it was rebooted, putting to sleep mode etc. and worked just fine. When I got up this morning I turn it on only to find out boot prompt instead of Windows...

There are only few things I can thing about that could cause this:

1. Some virus that is stored in BIOS.

2. Something is wrong in moded BIOS (like controller).

3. I have another partition (big storage) that could have virus two but I doubt it.

As you may see there are two possibilities that involves moded BIOS. And like I said - I want to exclude everything that I can in a quest of pin down this issue...

This thread has over 100 pages so there's no way for me to read everything. That's way I would like to ask you for your help. Did you have or seen someone who have problem like this?

Or maybe you have some tips?

First off, there is a way you can read all 119 pages (as of this post): it's called time. I and many others on this thread have done this so it is possible.

I have had pretty much all my questions answered by reading this thread entirely and If I come across one, it is probably here somewhere. But your question did not live here until your post.

I am no coding wizard, but if you got the modded BIOS from a link in this thread, there is NO virus in the BIOS files you installed. If there was a virus in your BIOS, IMHO, corrupted files would be the least of your worries.

You most likely have a virus. If the same issue showed up on a recovery install, then the recovery also includes the issue.

Find an official Windows 7 .iso and burn it to a disc or create a bootable USB and install it fresh. Forget about using your recovery since it seems that has the same issue too.

If you still have the same problem after the fresh install and with all the drivers and programs you use installed, then you really have problem on your hands.

To me at least, the above is common sense.

I have cracked the screen and ended up buying a new screen online (not through Lenovo) and replacing it myself. Now I am having trouble with the screen brightness keys. If I hold Fn and press the up key, the brightness jumps to the highest setting. If I hold Fn and press the down key, the brightness jumps to a much lower setting; there is no in between. The screen will only toggle between two settings: really bright or really dim. The volume keys still work just fine.

Is it because the new screen is not whitelisted or?

You're absolutely right - time is the price for all of the knowledge gathered here. But unfortunately I don't have this luxury right now so I choose your experience to help me overcome this.

I don't think virus is somewhere in modded BIOS because that would be already brought up. But like I said - I needed to exclude every possibility. Just to be sure and to have better picture of what can be wrong in my case. And because there was no one with similar issues then I can strike this off my list.

After another few hours I spent with my laptop I now know that second accident was somehow different then first one. This time data wasn't corrupted. It would only seems like boot partition was damaged. I had recovery disk from another PC (Y580 is my second computer) but it didn't help me here. BTW I don't need to look for iso because I have Win on DVD. I bought clean laptop. :)

Anyway - thanks for answer. At least now I can look for origin of this issue somewhere else. ;)

I have cracked the screen and ended up buying a new screen online (not through Lenovo) and replacing it myself. Now I am having trouble with the screen brightness keys. If I hold Fn and press the up key, the brightness jumps to the highest setting. If I hold Fn and press the down key, the brightness jumps to a much lower setting; there is no in between. The screen will only toggle between two settings: really bright or really dim. The volume keys still work just fine.

Is it because the new screen is not whitelisted or?

There is most likely a screen whitelist as well. I have asked this question as well as 1 other person and we both have been ignored on this front. svl7: OP; provider of mods, has most likely abandoned this thread and it appears others (who have worked on mods of their own) have too, so any of them probably will not be of help. I would attempt looking into it but I lack the required know-how and tools to do

I got my Y580 a few weeks after launch and two weeks after I took possession my sister cracked my screen. You just get used to only having min/max brightness... What screen did you get? I originally had a shitty LG replacement and now run an AUO B156HW01 V7.

You're absolutely right - time is the price for all of the knowledge gathered here. But unfortunately I don't have this luxury right now so I choose your experience to help me overcome this.

I don't think virus is somewhere in modded BIOS because that would be already brought up. But like I said - I needed to exclude every possibility. Just to be sure and to have better picture of what can be wrong in my case. And because there was no one with similar issues then I can strike this off my list.

After another few hours I spent with my laptop I now know that second accident was somehow different then first one. This time data wasn't corrupted. It would only seems like boot partition was damaged. I had recovery disk from another PC (Y580 is my second computer) but it didn't help me here. BTW I don't need to look for iso because I have Win on DVD. I bought clean laptop. :)

Anyway - thanks for answer. At least now I can look for origin of this issue somewhere else. ;)

Good hunting!

i have 2 question kindly answer plz...

1 - when i run Y580-Y480_BiosFix . first it ask backup bios file, i give the name and second time it ask modified bios file, when i give name *rom file which is QIWY3207.ROM... it say invalid file?

2 - than just rename the QIWY3207.rom to qiwy3.bin . and keep this *.bin file in boot usb along with fpt.exe(dos version) and prr and restart system. after prr execute and press enter, write command fpt.exe -f qiwy3.bin -bios it run but ask me that not all of the file data will be written on flash because file is longer than flash area to be written

file: qiwy3.bin

file lenth: 6422528

write lenth: 4718592

asking proceed than Y/ if no N and Q for quit .

=========

i did no... what should i do proceed anyway or what

Already has been explained in this thread.

Plz need ur time

i have 2 question kindly answer plz...

1 - when i run Y580-Y480_BiosFix . first it ask backup bios file, i give the name and second time it ask modified bios file, when i give name *rom file which is QIWY3207.ROM... it say invalid file?

2 - than just rename the QIWY3207.rom to qiwy3.bin . and keep this *.bin file in boot usb along with fpt.exe(dos version) and prr and restart system. after prr execute and press enter, write command fpt.exe -f qiwy3.bin -bios it run but ask me that not all of the file data will be written on flash because file is longer than flash area to be written

file: qiwy3.bin

file lenth: 6422528

write lenth: 4718592

asking proceed than Y/ if no N and Q for quit .

=========

i did no... what should i do proceed anyway or what

I am waiting plz some one fix my lenovo y580 laptop. Request for original default bios. Can any one arrange for me biosfile.bin which I just flash with bootable USB fpt tool etc . I mistakenly flash wrong bios and now my laptop not detecting hard drive. Now I have wrong bios on my laptop. I did everything. Look to top post I mention all my problem which I faced. I am desperate and want default original and ready to flash *.bin 4mb size file, it's an request plzzzz

i download original bios file 5dcn40ww from lenovo. my laptop is lenovo y580.

i did try hiren,s cd win 7 min.... when i run file it gave me error check screenshot for error

http://www.mediafire.com/view/jn2n1g...in_live_cd.JPG

2 -- i extract orignal bios file 5dcn40ww with winrar. i renamed orignal lenovo bios file QIWY3207.rom to QIWY3.bin . and keep this *.bin file in boot usb along with fpt.exe(dos version) and prr and restart system. after prr execute and press enter, write command fpt.exe -f qiwy3.bin -bios it run but ask me that not all of the file data will be written on flash because file is longer than flash area to be written, i click no... should i do yes??? i am waiting for yes or no if you say yes than i proceed... flash area is not enough. how much the storage size in mb in normal bios. error screenshot below

http://www.mediafire.com/view/yuvdy4...rignal_bin.JPG

i have wrong version bios of g580 and mine is y580 and i cant reflash even orignal bios... mod bios is far away... how to forcibly flash my orignal bios on my laptop. i think you understand the problem.

request for already fixed moded bios any lenovo y580 bios ready to flash in dos *.bin file... repeat ready to flash file plz, i have wrong version bios my bios dont match. facing problem while making *.bin file. plzz upload file. lenovo y580 owners plz

Hi...I am hoping this fix will help me solve the problems I am having. I installed a new msata EVO 840 500G in my Lenovo Y580. Installation went fine and I cleaned the original 1TB HHD as I am going to use it to store media files.

Once I updated all the drivers I restarted my laptop and was greeted by a "default boot device missing" message. On F12 I don't see either of the drives to select. Since BIOS doesn't let me choose boot order I figured installing the unlocked version should help.

So, long story but I have 3 questions:

1- My current BIOS version is 5DCN90WW(v8.01). Are the instructions on page 1 of this thread still accurate and should allow me to flash ok? (my own risk, I know)

2- Why can't I download any of the files listed in the spoilers?

3- Although off topic, but would you recommend me trying anything else before trying to flash BIOS? (bad past experiences flashing bios)

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

vic243

Unfortunately, according to this thread (Dual-band wifi card supported by Y580? - Lenovo Community), Lenovo decided to implement a whitelist ...

If you can remove it, it would be awsome

I believe this was stated on page 1 of this thread...

I am currently running 5DCN89WW(8.0). If wanted to remove the stupid whitelist in order to use Intel 7260HMW in my Y580. The Centrino wlan card it came with seems to go on the fritz about 2 hours into playing games. So I got one I thought would work. Nope, whitelist crap. So if I get the modified BIOS described above, will I be able to install it?

I like that this will do away with the whitelist. But is there some way for me to opt out of the speed increase on the video card? It gets hot enough with the NotePal U3 I am using to direct air into the vcard intake. I would enjoy not having to worry about prematurely burning the vcard out.

Does anyone know with the bios unlocked if I will be able to set the vcard back to default. Or is that taken care of in Windows under the nVidia Experience utility?

AH!! God sorry there was not meant to be so many posts. I thought I had some bad posts. Pease clear my other two posts below.

If my Y580 is running 5DCN89WW, does this mod work for me? I really hate the centrino wlan card I have. After about 2 hours of gaming, it kicks me off the network. And I know it is the card cause no other computers or devices get kicked at the same time.

I like that this will do away with the whitelist. But is there some way for me to opt out of the speed increase on the video card? It gets hot enough with the NotePal U3 I am using to direct air into the vcard intake. I would enjoy not having to worry about prematurely burning the vcard out.

Does anyone know with the bios unlocked if I will be able to set the vcard back to default. Or is that taken care of in Windows under the nVidia Experience utility?

Hi...I am hoping this fix will help me solve the problems I am having. I installed a new msata EVO 840 500G in my Lenovo Y580. Installation went fine and I cleaned the original 1TB HHD as I am going to use it to store media files.

Once I updated all the drivers I restarted my laptop and was greeted by a "default boot device missing" message. On F12 I don't see either of the drives to select. Since BIOS doesn't let me choose boot order I figured installing the unlocked version should help.

So, long story but I have 3 questions:

1- My current BIOS version is 5DCN90WW(v8.01). Are the instructions on page 1 of this thread still accurate and should allow me to flash ok? (my own risk, I know)

2- Why can't I download any of the files listed in the spoilers?

3- Although off topic, but would you recommend me trying anything else before trying to flash BIOS? (bad past experiences flashing bios)

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

vic243

Try wiping the EVO from another computer and install Windows from a disc with only the EVO connected and see if that fixes your problem. You can always flash the mod for v8.1 and see if that fixes it if my suggestion before this doesn't work.

I believe this was stated on page 1 of this thread...

I am currently running 5DCN89WW(8.0). If wanted to remove the stupid whitelist in order to use Intel 7260HMW in my Y580. The Centrino wlan card it came with seems to go on the fritz about 2 hours into playing games. So I got one I thought would work. Nope, whitelist crap. So if I get the modified BIOS described above, will I be able to install it?

AH!! God sorry there was not meant to be so many posts. I thought I had some bad posts. Pease clear my other two posts below.

If you want stock GPU clocks don't run it under Lenovo Dynamic Graphics since that is the power scheme that has the 1Ghz clocks. High Performance keeps the clocks at 885Mhz.

You can also use NVidia Inspector to manually adjust clock speeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, so I tried to run the backup, it just flashes a command prompt then goes away. Did it do anything?? I am running it as administrator and I have my anti-virus off.

I downloaded a bios backup tool, which saves it as a .rom. I can tell it to save as a .bin. But if I use this tool and not the one I downloaded here, will it properly flash?? Or is that fparts list in the folder important to this process?