Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I have tried everything I could think of, all filename combinations but I fear that without a proper BIOS bin for my machine I am unable to fix it myself. Thank you for all the support, it is now up to Lenovo to fix my mistakes.

ErYani, I downloaded your BIOS and got errors from the extraction using WinRAR on Windows 8.1. I do have the v2.07 BIOS btw. Also I have what files WinRAR did extract in another screenshot.[ATTACH]10712[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10713[/ATTACH]

Yeah... those attachment links are invalid. Just download it again, in case a packet went missing/corrupt. Afterwards, right click on .zip file->properties->general tab->unblock->apply->ok and then try extracting it again.

Can anyone who knows how to modify bios/vbios tell me how to extract the vbios from the main bios (.rom)? I tried to use MMTool, but had no luck. I, then, tried to use the windows version of "grep" and was able to install it, but could not get it to open afterwards.. Any and all help is appreciated.

Can anyone who knows how to modify bios/vbios tell me how to extract the vbios from the main bios (.rom)? I tried to use MMTool, but had no luck. I, then, tried to use the windows version of "grep" and was able to install it, but could not get it to open afterwards.. Any and all help is appreciated.

Download the Phoenix Mod Tool... just google it..

open PhoenixTool.exe and select the ROM... it extracts now all modules. now just look for ''D2333ED3-4EA4-46CD-9DB2-41EEB6E8E158'' .... It's the modul/vBIOS of the 660m

*EDIT: for re-packing of the BIOS after modding, you need ''ezh20''... just replace the module/vBIOS in the original '.rom' with the programm

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on 2.07 and my temps stay well below 80. Typically it'll stay between 60-70 depending on what I'm doing. And THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XDDD

EDIT: Just flashed it and it was successful, however the boost clock doesn't show in nvidia inspector, I'll report back once I play a few games. Also, I'm still unable to change voltage via nvidia inspector && microcode is still 0x15, that is, if this is the BIOS you were working on for me (if not just ignore that =d)

EDIT2: It still downclocks, I'm running 1320 core / 3000 memory. This is AFTER doing the cleanest, fresh uninstall and install of the new 334.67 beta drivers. Max GPU temp was 72 after 40-60 minutes of skyrim, and it downclocked at the end. This might quite possibly be because of the enb however I'm not sure how/why it would have any influence over the clocks since this rarely happens when I play dota 2 (happened once but as before I flashed any over-volted BIOS).

It should be worth noting I changed the ASPM to auto instead of the default LosL1 under advanced->video->pci express graphic since I thought it might not be getting adequate power, also changed package power limit 1 from 45 to 56 and disabled biprochot. I'm using throttlestop with clock modulation @ 100%, chipset clock mod @ 100%, and set multiplier @ turbo checked and enabled; the rest are disabled.

BTW, my ASIC quality is 77.5%

changing ''ASPM'' to ''disabled'' instead of the default LosL1 gave me a small performance increase! :) (''auto'' doesn't change anything for me)

Download the Phoenix Mod Tool... just google it..

open PhoenixTool.exe and select the ROM... it extracts now all modules. now just look for ''D2333ED3-4EA4-46CD-9DB2-41EEB6E8E158'' .... It's the modul/vBIOS of the 660m

*EDIT: for re-packing of the BIOS after modding, you need ''ezh20''... just replace the module/vBIOS in the original '.rom' with the programm

changing ''ASPM'' to ''disabled'' instead of the default LosL1 gave me a small performance increase! :) (''auto'' doesn't change anything for me)

specifically how do I extract it? I already have and tried phoenix tool but couldn't figure out what all the buttons do :P

&thx for sharing that bit on aspm!

specifically how do I extract it? I already have and tried phoenix tool but couldn't figure out what all the buttons do :P

&thx for sharing that bit on aspm!

just open your rom with the tool (Original BIOS [..], just press the [..]-button) and it extracts the whole modules in a folder, where your .rom is placed. for example, if your bios is placed on desktop, then there will be a folder with all the extracted modules including the vBIOS.

OK, I found the 'D2333ED3-4EA4-46CD-9DB2-41EEB6E8E158" but when I try to open it with NiBiTor I get errors, is this normal or am I using the wrong tool/doing something wrong? OR do I think it's much simpler than it actually is :P Thanks for the help you've given me thus far.

OK, I found the 'D2333ED3-4EA4-46CD-9DB2-41EEB6E8E158" but when I try to open it with NiBiTor I get errors, is this normal or am I using the wrong tool/doing something wrong? OR do I think it's much simpler than it actually is :P Thanks for the help you've given me thus far.

you need ''kepler bios tweaker''... but with that tool you only can change the memory speed in the vBIOS... the rest doesn't work on mobile Kepler... so you have to mod the rest on the old school way, with a hex-editor... difficult thing

what do you want to mod on your vBIOS?

you need ''kepler bios tweaker''... but with that tool you only can change the memory speed in the vBIOS... the rest doesn't work on mobile Kepler... so you have to mod the rest on the old school way, with a hex-editor... difficult thing

what do you want to mod on your vBIOS?

wanted to see if I could "unlock" the vbios so that I could change voltage in software like in nvidia inspector. If I can't do that then I was gonna make a bunch of different voltage BIOS's. Having to flash a different BIOS just to change the voltage is a real pain..

wanted to see if I could "unlock" the vbios so that I could change voltage in software like in nvidia inspector. If I can't do that then I was gonna make a bunch of different voltage BIOS's. Having to flash a different BIOS just to change the voltage is a real pain..

that would be nice if you can do that. i would be also interested in this, but don't know how to do that...

Hey, Am trying to do this for over 2 weeks none has worked tell now my y580 bricked more than 4 times :/ and i recover it still there maybe a way am taking the vbios of gtx 660 desktop version and see the voltage part how it was written and try to do the same with gtx 660m with old school editing well wish me luck and no more bricks i hope :)

that would be nice if you can do that. i would be also interested in this, but don't know how to do that...

Would you mind telling me exactly what to edit using hex editor to change the voltage? And, do you know how to increase the power target because that's also greyed out in nvidia inspector, where as temp target is NOT greyed out but still cannot be changed (I also tried to use -setTempTarget with no success). Or is that something that has to be changed in hex edit too?

Hey, Am trying to do this for over 2 weeks none has worked tell now my y580 bricked more than 4 times :/ and i recover it still there maybe a way am taking the vbios of gtx 660 desktop version and see the voltage part how it was written and try to do the same with gtx 660m with old school editing well wish me luck and no more bricks i hope :)

Good luck!

I figured out why my gpu core clock kept going down to 405 under high load. It had something to do with Windows 8 because I reinstalled win 8 several times, following the correct driver install order, and other times I tried preinstalling intel and nvidia drivers but nothing helped. Eventually I just said fuck it and went back to Windows 7. Problem is gone now. The downclocking may also be because of my changed ASPM modes (has been disabled and auto select) but IIRC problem was still there when those were on default. I'm just gonna keep it at default since I can easily score 3900s on 3dmark 11 and that's good enough for me (although higher is welcome!) =)

(for those curious)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name

Is it Windows 8 or 8.1??? I have Windows 8.1 and I was able to get the clocks to read 1000Mhz after changing some of the settings, like ASPM and some of the other settings detailed a few pages back, on svl7's BIOS. I flashed ErYani's BIOS and was unable to make the same changes to get the clocks to read 1000Mhz, even now while using svl7's BIOS again.

Are you using v2.07 or v.8.0 ?

if v2.07 make sure your temp dont go over 89C if so it downclock it self to 405

am currently using v.207 @1.1675V currently @1300 core 3100 mem , and it doesnt clock down , when i boot its @1000 core @3000mem , i overclock +300 for gpu

using nvdia inspector , i modified the bios so what it does is doesnt go below 1000 @ core and can go up to 1300 depending on usage no matter what temps are!

if your interested here its Nitrobits.com - Download Y580_v2.07_660mGHz_OV-1,67V.rar it Will Never Go at lower Clock Than 1000 @ core , but remember , Lenovo dynamic graphics profile must be using ohh btw overclock it using Nvdia inspector DONT change the profile or froce new one using nvdia inspector! , and its dynamic clocks just remember it wont jump to 1300 unless it needs to , the default is 1000 @ core 3000@ mem , this bios for v207 only , Peace out.

If only I written down the changes to know what worked and share... For me, when on Windows 7 the clocks still are maxed at 405Mhz like how it has been using Windows 8.1.

I figured out why my gpu core clock kept going down to 405 under high load. It had something to do with Windows 8 because I reinstalled win 8 several times, following the correct driver install order, and other times I tried preinstalling intel and nvidia drivers but nothing helped. Eventually I just said fuck it and went back to Windows 7. Problem is gone now. The downclocking may also be because of my changed ASPM modes (has been disabled and auto select) but IIRC problem was still there when those were on default. I'm just gonna keep it at default since I can easily score 3900s on 3dmark 11 and that's good enough for me (although higher is welcome!) =)

(for those curious)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name

Is it Windows 8 or 8.1??? I have Windows 8.1 and I was able to get the clocks to read 1000Mhz after changing some of the settings, like ASPM and some of the other settings detailed a few pages back, on svl7's BIOS. I flashed ErYani's BIOS and was unable to make the same changes to get the clocks to read 1000Mhz, even now while using svl7's BIOS again.

If only I written down the changes to know what worked and share... For me, when on Windows 7 the clocks still are maxed at 405Mhz like how it has been using Windows 8.1.

My clocks would read 1 ghz too, and overclocked like normal but when I'd put it under heavy load, like playing skyrim or crysis 1/2/3 then it would eventually downclock to 405, even at default clocks it would still happen.

&& I meant win 8.1, but the same problem happened when I tried win 8. I don't know why this happens but going back to win 7 seems to solve everything for me.

I have tried everything I could think of, all filename combinations but I fear that without a proper BIOS bin for my machine I am unable to fix it myself. Thank you for all the support, it is now up to Lenovo to fix my mistakes.

And I now have the machine back from the service. They claim to have changed the motherboard, don't know how to check it but I will trust them on that one. The machine comes with the same v8.00 BIOS and a fresh image on the HDD. Interestingly enough they asked me to send the machine back in the original configuration. I had swapped out the caching SSD for a bigger one and installed the OS on in one but they wouldn't take it like that. Good thing it's almost impossible to sell those 16GB SSDs and I still had it around to drop back in there.

I am now contemplating whether I should attempt a BIOS unlock while paying more attention or just drop it and deal with the spotty wifi performance. I don't care much for overclocking, machine is fast enough, but the intermittent wifi is killing any streaming or online gaming attempt.

And I now have the machine back from the service. They claim to have changed the motherboard, don't know how to check it but I will trust them on that one. The machine comes with the same v8.00 BIOS and a fresh image on the HDD. Interestingly enough they asked me to send the machine back in the original configuration. I had swapped out the caching SSD for a bigger one and installed the OS on in one but they wouldn't take it like that. Good thing it's almost impossible to sell those 16GB SSDs and I still had it around to drop back in there.

I am now contemplating whether I should attempt a BIOS unlock while paying more attention or just drop it and deal with the spotty wifi performance. I don't care much for overclocking, machine is fast enough, but the intermittent wifi is killing any streaming or online gaming attempt.

They wanted your laptop in its "original configuration" ? When I sent mine for an RMA, the DVD drive was removed, HDD was removed, battery was removed, pretty much the only thing that wasn't removed was the RAM and the bottom cover lol.

I would still do it. That is the main reason why I flashed the BIOS' featured here was to remove the Wi-Fi whitelist, the added performance is just an extra bonus since I do game ;) The only extra thing I wish the modded BIOS' included was a way to remove the LCD whitelist, or whatever it is, so I can have brightness control over a replacement LCD. Even when I replaced the LCD with the "same" model, I still did not have brightness control...

Finally got my BIOS Unlocked, set up some batch files for quick changes on the clocks of my GPU, now I'm trying to figure out how to use the BIOS to overclock my CPU, does anyone know if it's possible with the unlocked BIOS, I'm using a Y580 with a I7-3630QM/GTX 660M.

Thanks