Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

I meant the artifacts, small green and purple pixel flashes that appear randomly and after a minute or so the game crashes and then I get this error : "Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 295.55 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Tried updating drivers and everything but nothing worked other than down-clocking it.

Hi everyone !

I have a problem with installing the BIOS when using InsydeFlash because my bios is too new 5DCN40WW (v2.07).

I tried to install using the tutorial found on the web:

How to flash InsydeH2O EFI under DOS enviroment - Lenovo Community

I have done every step but it does not work. I can boot my stick and it starts but after a few sec i can see this message:

"Error: Not support AT-p information CL Registry: 0x0."

Is it possible to manually change the version or date in the BIOS file to install him with a InsydeFlash ?

I meant the artifacts, small green and purple pixel flashes that appear randomly and after a minute or so the game crashes and then I get this error : "Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 295.55 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Tried updating drivers and everything but nothing worked other than down-clocking it.

A. What are the default clocks and what clocks do you have to use to be stable (artifact free)? Are you saying you're unable to overclock beyond a certain core/memory clock; or that you're getting artifacts using default clocks?

B. From the time that you reinstalled/installed windows/linux/etc (or since you received the laptop, whichever is more recent) until now, did you update your nvidia drivers without uninstalling the previous one? If you've done this a lot of times (even if you haven't, it wouldn't hurt to try), then reinstall your driver by doing the following:

1. Disable windows update and automatic driver installs. If you don't know how to do this then google it. Download/use your preferred software for removing files left behind from driver uninstalls. I've tried Driver Sweeper before, but had issues with it. I've had success with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)," found here: Display Driver Uninstaller Thread - Guru3D.com Forums
    2. Make sure to remove any and all overclocks and that everything is running on default clocks. Remove/apply defaults all of your nvidia inspector/nvcp (control panel) profiles (you can export and back them up if you want to); and then delete nvidia inspector (optional). I've had times where I don't delete it and it creates weird problems like permanantly renaming nvidia inspector to a random profile shortcut until I reinstall nvidia driver. You can keep the .zip file for inspector if you choose to delete.
    3. Go in safe mode, uninstall NVIDIA PhyX and then the NVIDIA driver, and reboot. Stay in safe mode.
    4. Run Driver Sweeper/DDU/wtv and remove files left behind and then reboot into normal mode.
    5. Wait until windows installs the "VGA adapter" or whatever it's called. You may or may not be notified when it's done. Check device manager under display adapters and make sure you see two items there.
    6. Install the driver, select custom installation, and choose whichever components you want (e.g. driver and physx or just the driver), then make sure to select "Perform a clean installation"

If you're still getting artifacts at default clocks then try this with the intel driver too, but keep in mind this order: for uninstall, it should be nvidia first, then intel; for install, it should be intel first, and then nvidia.
      C. While I think the source of your issue is the nvidia driver, what is your ASIC quality? You can find this by running gpu z and right clicking on the top bar (next to the close, minimize buttons).
      EDIT: Just realized you're using version 295.55 for your nvidia driver, the latest is 332.21... I don't know if this is by choice or you just haven't updated it in a while, but you should definitely use the latest drivers because it sometimes increases performance and going from 295.55 to 332.21 is a pretty big jump so you will for sure notice a big improvement.

Hi everyone !

I have a problem with installing the BIOS when using InsydeFlash because my bios is too new 5DCN40WW (v2.07).

I tried to install using the tutorial found on the web:

How to flash InsydeH2O EFI under DOS enviroment - Lenovo Community

I have done every step but it does not work. I can boot my stick and it starts but after a few sec i can see this message:

"Error: Not support AT-p information CL Registry: 0x0."

Is it possible to manually change the version or date in the BIOS file to install him with a InsydeFlash ?

Not that it matters, but the guide you linked is also located in the beginning of the 8.0x BIOS instructions, on the first page of this thread:

• Prepare an USB stick which can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, follow this short guide:

Guide by @StamatisX - thanks!

Download the flash tool, for flashing you'll need the DOS version, but for creating the backup of your current BIOS the Win64 version will do as well, and it is faster. Get the prr tool as well.
Grab the modified BIOS you want to flash and the Y580-Y480_BiosFix tool.
Create a backup of your current BIOS using the flash tool you downloaded (first step) by runing the included backup.bat, or by using the Win or Dos version flash tool with this command:

-d BackupBiosY500.bin -bios

If you get and 'Error 104', grab this fix and replace the original fparts file with it.

Make sure you have the modified bios which you want to flash, the bios backup you just created and the "Y580-Y480_BiosFix" tool in the same folder. Run the Y580-Y480_BiosFix tool, follow the instructions on the screen. Enter the name of the files correctly, else you'll get an error. It will create a new file for you and will be named after the modified bios file you specified, with 'Fix' appended to it.

Here's a screenshot of the tool in use (Y580 version looks the same). In the case shown here it will create a file called "modifiedBiosFix.bin" which you can find in the folder where you run the tool. Use that one for flashing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5938[/ATTACH]

Put the fixed BIOS, the prr.exe tool and the fpt.exe (along with the fparts.txt file) on the root of your prepared DOS bootable USB drive, restart your system and boot from that drive.
Execut the prr.exe, if you don't get an error message continue by pressing enter. Then flash the bios by using this command (filename.bin obviously needs to be replaced with the name of the file you want to flash). If you can't remember the name of your file, use the command dir to display all the files on your drive. Flash with this:
fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios

NOTE: The name of the BIOS file mustn't exceed eight characters (not counting the extension)! That's a DOS limit, so make sure the name of your file isn't too long.
Wait until the process is done. After flashing it will verify the data, in case there's something wrong with the flashed data it will tell you. In that case don't reboot, just flash again.

It might look a bit complicated at first, but that's the easiest way I could think of. Let me know if anything is unclear.

Regarding your question, what BIOS are you trying to flash? I'm assuming you're on the lenovo's locked, default BIOS and you want to flash svl7's unlocked BIOS; if this is the case, you shouldn't be getting errors. Make sure you have the correct file. I noticed you only have 1 post, therefore you can't access the downloads yet, leading me to believe the BIOS you currrently have is corrupt or the incorrect one. So, just post 4 more times so that you can verify that everything is legit and in order. I've never seen that BIOS error, let alone anything in this thread experiencing it, so I can't help you much in that regard. Wouldn't hurt to try this,

Damn, forgot to change this... you'll need to modifiy the platform file, first line in the 'common flash' section -> change RESSEN to RESSDIS and try again.

However, I suggest you use the BIOS downloaded from this site before you go any further.

i am getting this "Error 200: Invalid parameter value specified by user. Use -? option to see help." when i try to backup my bios

Make sure you're typing everything correctly. This may or may not help, but before extracting the zip files, right click -> properties -> select unblock -> hit apply and OK. Start command prompt as admin by hitting start, type cmd, right click -> run as admin. Once open, type: "cd c:\your\file\path\of\BIOS\Fix<file path="" of="" the="" bios="" fix="">" Obviously without the quotes and add your file path with what's there<file path="" of="" the="" bios="" fix="">. Try copy and pasting all the commands, you can't ctrl-v in cmd, so just right click->paste. I'm nearly certain the problem lies with how you're typing it since the error you're getting is "invalid parameter value specified by user" and that's pretty much saying you typed something wrong.</file></file>

A - When I'm on high performance default clock becomes 835Mhz and 2500mhz memory (which I have to downclock to 2350mhz to get rid of the artifacts)

And when I'm on lenovo dynamic graphics : default core clock becomes 950Mhz memory clock stays at 2500mhz.

B - I'm not sure, but when I install a more recent driver, while it's installing it says that it uninstalls the previous driver before proceeding...

Which by the way once is installed my system becomes instable and becomes very slow at certain times like when switching between applications...

That's why I always go back to the driver that came with the laptop (295.55) (I guess that answers your last question).

C - 62.3%

A - When I'm on high performance default clock becomes 835Mhz and 2500mhz memory (which I have to downclock to 2350mhz to get rid of the artifacts)

when I install a more recent driver, while it's installing it says that it uninstalls the previous driver before proceeding...

By doing the steps I listed earlier will ensure that parts from earlier drivers will be removed. When you're installing a new driver and it "says it's uninstalling previous driver" that is never 100% and misses some things that could cause problems.. Here's another guide: [Tutorial] How to install/remove AMD and NVIDIA drivers using a clean method

Also, you should be using lenovo dynamic graphics power plan. If that doesn't work then I don't know what to tell you other than to call lenovo.

well i can't enter any parameter wrong, cause i haven't type anything yet.[ATTACH]10289[/ATTACH]

Yeah, I don't know what you're trying to do so.. maybe someone else will help

Hello,

I have managed to put myself in a very difficult situation.

I believe I had a Y580 with bios v800 and I went ahead and modded it with the v801.bin I say I believe because I can't tell for sure but my machine is definitely in an inconsistent state right now.

I am stuck with the black screen boot that won't POST or do anything else.

I have tried numerous key combinations and power up procedures but I can't get to any other screen.

I need HELP :)

I have the original backup, I now have a v800Fix.bin with the correct mod (hopefully) but I have no way to apply it.

Please help me unbrick my machine!

I managed to brick my laptop with an incorrect mod. I believe I flashed the v801 mod on a v800 machine.

Could someone please post the unlocked bios screens or the menu structure so that I might attempt a blind reflash ? I assume I would have to re-enable legacy support, enable usb boot again and try to reflash.

I managed to brick my laptop with an incorrect mod. I believe I flashed the v801 mod on a v800 machine.

Could someone please post the unlocked bios screens or the menu structure so that I might attempt a blind reflash ? I assume I would have to re-enable legacy support, enable usb boot again and try to reflash.

Have you tried this?

[...]

Then I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the proper procedure is:

*Shut off laptop

*Remove power cable

*Remove Battery

*Plug USB in

*Hold power button for 10 seconds

*Press and HOLD Fn +B (whatever your key combination is)

*Plug power cable in

---- DONT RELEASE FN+B YET ----

*Press the power button and continue to hold fn+b, if the key combination is correct, the fan should start at full speed.

*Wait until laptop shuts down, or restarts by itself

*If it shuts down, plug battery back in, and remove USB, then power on and pray for your BIOS to be recovered to the one from your USB

The key part I missed when I tried it from before was to unplug the AC adapter and and plug it in while holding the recovery key combination.

Exact same thing happened to me. If you're still under warranty just send it back to Lenovo. They will replace your motherboard as they did mine.

I do feel guilty for my own stupidity and would rather attempt a fix myself than having Lenovo waste another motherboard. I have tried the Fn+B boot procedure but it seems I don't have the right BIOS file to repair my machine. All it does is start with high fan rotations but no beeps whatsoever. I have tried my own backup as created with svl7's tool as well as some of the files from the 5DCN39WW and 5DCN40WW BIOS updates posted by Lenovo. I have tried with all sorts of file names and nothing worked.

If anyone has a valid 8.00 bin that is definitely picked up by the InsydeH2O recovery procedure then please PM me or post here.

Thank you!

I do feel guilty for my own stupidity and would rather attempt a fix myself than having Lenovo waste another motherboard. I have tried the Fn+B boot procedure but it seems I don't have the right BIOS file to repair my machine. All it does is start with high fan rotations but no beeps whatsoever. I have tried my own backup as created with svl7's tool as well as some of the files from the 5DCN39WW and 5DCN40WW BIOS updates posted by Lenovo. I have tried with all sorts of file names and nothing worked.

If anyone has a valid 8.00 bin that is definitely picked up by the InsydeH2O recovery procedure then please PM me or post here.

Thank you!

It's usually QIWY3 or QIWY4 orr QIWY5 or QIWY6. The beep doesn't start happening until after a couple minutes. It's nice to have a USB with an LED indicator letting you know that it's performing reads/writes.

Thank you!

Good luck because blowntaha's method didn't work for me. No disrespect, but I was unsuccessful. I'm really interested to hear if it works for you.

If I were in your position, I'd just do the RMA. Your ASIC quality is 62.3% which is rather low. Mine is right under 80%, (don't remember exact number). This value is directly proportional to overclockability,in other words a higher ASIC quality percentage will allow higher stable overclocks to be achieved. Since your specific "issue" is BIOS related, they'll replace the motherboard, which means you get a new GPU since the GPU is soldered onto the mobo (and maybe even a new CPU), which ultimately means you'll have a chance at getting something with higher ASIC %.

Damn man, I'm new to overclocking. This tutorial however seems to be legit easy though. Thanks!

Dunno what you're referring to, but if you don't mind shit getting a little complicated then have a look at: nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

A few things should be noted if you have a go at this guide:

1. When Mobius talks about forcing P-State 2, you want to do force P-State 5 instead.
  2. When you're forcing P5, there is a < 5% performance loss, but that's probably negligible. I have no idea why this happens, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the VBIOS.
    • GPU-Z && nvidia inspector also show the 660m using PCIe 2.0 on P5, while on default (P0, under load) it's on PCIe 3.0.

The only reason I do this is because my clocks constantly downclock, to 405 core / memory seems to stay same, under moderate/heavy load and this seems to be my only solution. That is, until ErYani is done modding my BIOS, which hopefully fixes this. I didn't test it, but it might also be because it's over volted to 1.175 which I've been too lazy to lower it down a bit. If anyone has a clue on this, please help =)

Dunno what you're referring to, but if you don't mind shit getting a little complicated then have a look at: nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

A few things should be noted if you have a go at this guide:

1. When Mobius talks about forcing P-State 2, you want to do force P-State 5 instead.
  2. When you're forcing P5, there is a < 5% performance loss, but that's probably negligible. I have no idea why this happens, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the VBIOS.
    • GPU-Z && nvidia inspector also show the 660m using PCIe 2.0 on P5, while on default (P0, under load) it's on PCIe 3.0.

The only reason I do this is because my clocks constantly downclock, to 405 core / memory seems to stay same, under moderate/heavy load and this seems to be my only solution. That is, until ErYani is done modding my BIOS, which hopefully fixes this. I didn't test it, but it might also be because it's over volted to 1.175 which I've been too lazy to lower it down a bit. If anyone has a clue on this, please help =)

Are you using v2.07 or v.8.0 ?

if v2.07 make sure your temp dont go over 89C if so it downclock it self to 405

am currently using v.207 @1.1675V currently @1300 core 3100 mem , and it doesnt clock down , when i boot its @1000 core @3000mem , i overclock +300 for gpu

using nvdia inspector , i modified the bios so what it does is doesnt go below 1000 @ core and can go up to 1300 depending on usage no matter what temps are!

if your interested here its Nitrobits.com - Download Y580_v2.07_660mGHz_OV-1,67V.rar it Will Never Go at lower Clock Than 1000 @ core , but remember , Lenovo dynamic graphics profile must be using ohh btw overclock it using Nvdia inspector DONT change the profile or froce new one using nvdia inspector! , and its dynamic clocks just remember it wont jump to 1300 unless it needs to , the default is 1000 @ core 3000@ mem , this bios for v207 only , Peace out.

• Thumbs Up 1

am currently using v.207 @1.1675V currently @1300 core 3100 mem , and it doesnt clock down , when i boot its @1000 core @3000mem , i overclock +300 for gpu

using nvdia inspector , i modified the bios so what it does is doesnt go below 1000 @ core and can go up to 1300 depending on usage no matter what temps are!

if your interested here its Nitrobits.com - Download Y580_v2.07_660mGHz_OV-1,67V.rar it Will Never Go at lower Clock Than 1000 @ core , but remember , Lenovo dynamic graphics profile must be using ohh btw overclock it using Nvdia inspector DONT change the profile or froce new one using nvdia inspector! , and its dynamic clocks just remember it wont jump to 1300 unless it needs to , the default is 1000 @ core 3000@ mem , this bios for v207 only , Peace out.

ErYani, I downloaded your BIOS and got errors from the extraction using WinRAR on Windows 8.1. I do have the v2.07 BIOS btw. Also I have what files WinRAR did extract in another screenshot.

I'm on 2.07 and my temps stay well below 80. Typically it'll stay between 60-70 depending on what I'm doing. And THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XDDD

EDIT: Just flashed it and it was successful, however the boost clock doesn't show in nvidia inspector, I'll report back once I play a few games. Also, I'm still unable to change voltage via nvidia inspector && microcode is still 0x15, that is, if this is the BIOS you were working on for me (if not just ignore that =d)

EDIT2: It still downclocks, I'm running 1320 core / 3000 memory. This is AFTER doing the cleanest, fresh uninstall and install of the new 334.67 beta drivers. Max GPU temp was 72 after 40-60 minutes of skyrim, and it downclocked at the end. This might quite possibly be because of the enb however I'm not sure how/why it would have any influence over the clocks since this rarely happens when I play dota 2 (happened once but as before I flashed any over-volted BIOS).

It should be worth noting I changed the ASPM to auto instead of the default LosL1 under advanced->video->pci express graphic since I thought it might not be getting adequate power, also changed package power limit 1 from 45 to 56 and disabled biprochot. I'm using throttlestop with clock modulation @ 100%, chipset clock mod @ 100%, and set multiplier @ turbo checked and enabled; the rest are disabled.

BTW, my ASIC quality is 77.5%