Lenovo Y580 / Y480 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

Anyone know how to update the Intel ME firmware (NOT the driver, but the actual firmware version which is displayed in BIOS) ? I found a link on how to do this, but seeing as how I've (soft) bricked my laptop so many times and hard bricked it once, I don't want to take anymore chances since I am now out of warranty.

Guide located here Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is change the BCLK (BaseCLocK / FSB) on my 3610QM to try and squeeze in a 3-7 MHz + 100 MHz (FSB); following the following guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2091-lets-enable-overclocking-all-6-7-series-laptops.html

I'm not quite sure if either of these guides will help me with OCing my FSB, so if anyone can shine some light on this, I'd appreciate it. Previously, I tried to use Intel XTU, but everything was locked/greyed out; however after changing the BIOS settings schranzmaster suggested (scroll up), it unlocked the following in XTU:

1. ​Turbo Boost Short Power Max Enable (Enable/Disable)
  2. Turbo Boost Short Power Max: 36 W --> 4095 W
  3. Turbo Boost Power Max: 36 W --> 4095 W
  4. Turbo Boost Power Time Window: 0.00097656 Seconds --> 0.01562500 Seconds

So, perhaps based on this there is another BIOS setting which can be changed to allow FSB tuning? Has anyone been able to successfully do this? The obvious BIOS section, ICC control, is limited on my unlocked BIOS (2.07).

Thanks for reading/potentially helping or informing

It looks like there is an issue with the link to the unlocked version of 2.07 bios. Anyone happened to know an alternative way to get it?

Dunno if you were experiencing a temporary website issue or if the problem is on your end, but I just downloaded it and extracted it perfectly fine (didn't flash it, just downloaded to check).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, I was trying to use this link and get the following:

[h=2]Redirecting...[/h] Invalid File ID

I am surprised to suspect that something is with my permissions, as I have Elite subscription active... I have emailed Admin with the issue.

Another BIOS tweak you can do is disable C-States (same screen as posted above), which clocks down CPU while it is "idle" (or rather what the laptop/OS determines to be idle). My 3Dmark 11 scores went from ~3450 -3500s to 3650s (with 660M at 1.125 V) On 1.175 V (plus a lot of other tweaks), I was able to get up to 4234! I can't wait to try this when I go back to 1.175 Volts!

Links:

1. 1.125 V, C-States OFF benchmark: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name
  2. 1.175 V, C-States ON benchmark: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention I also enabled HPET (from windows) and it did give me about 50-80 points boost on 3DMARK 11 scores. I couldn't find it in bios so I figured I'd try it just from OS side and well, I got better performance

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi!

My English is not very good, so I apologize in advance!

He came back after the water by the Y580 motherboard replacement. OSX does not support the Intel 2200 WiFi. Therefore, I wanted to remove the whitelist.

Error message: "Error 104:. 2 The SPI flash do not have compatible command sets"

I replaced the fparts.txt file to fix error 104 from.

Error message: "Error 103:.. Supported There are no SPI flash devices installed Please check connectivity and orientation of SPI flash device"

The old motherboard bios mod worked. The BIOS version is the same. 5dcn89ww (8.00). Factory pre-installed on a computer running Win 8. Can you help?

I'd just like some clarity, and what is the most recent, up-to-date information/warnings before I try and flash the v8.01 modified BIOS over my currently (what I have right now) v2.07 modified BIOS to prevent any more bricks (again!) since I am no longer under warranty. I took the time to compile some conflicting quiotes. What I have done since receiving my laptop back from Lenovo's RMA is flash the default/stock BIOS v2.04 (or 2.05, dont remember which but was earlier than v2.06 I think), updated it to the one on the support site, and then flashed your BIOS. AND THEN I flashed the 1.125 VBIOS mod --(and then)--> 1.15 VBIOS mod ----> 1.175 V ----> 1.15 V ----> 1.125 ----> (repasted system xD) ----> 1.15 V ----> 1.175 (current).

03-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Actually the 2.0x users can just go and flash according with the included utility, just as I wrote in the first post. Only the 8.0x users have to do it the other way.

11-02-2013, 07:55 AM

I mentioned it over and over again, only flash a mod of the same bios version as your stock version.

04-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Hello Svl7

I finally took the adventure to flash your unlocked V8.01 version and it works!

It is amazing that I have the bios version of V8.01 and EC version of V2.07.(None of Win8 License in bios)

I just used the dos command flashit xxxx.rom /MC /BIOS.

My machine is still in warranty and I think Lenovo customer service can just help change the mainboard if I crashed my machine.

So I get my target finally.

Anyway,thanks a lot again for your hardworking

??????????

Before I bricked my y580, I followed the "flashing procedure" posted by nicholas0444 a few pages back. I performed the BIOS flashing successfully, however the settings were rather bugged and turning off discrete graphics (e.g. enable UMA GRAPHIC ONLY; to get kali linux working. It wasn't displaying anything, but was definitely booting from stock bios settings) subsequently bricked my laptop beyond BIOS recovery. It should also be noted I used the long written out guide/tutorial/instructions on the first post for 8.0x unlocked BIOS flashing procedure (s).

On a side, yet possibly relevant, note: Only reason I flashed in loops changing voltage on 660m was because my temps when I was on 1.15 - 1.175 Volts, my temps were approaching 80-83!! It was throttling and crashing left and right. This was after my first repasting since I received it back from repairs. The method I used for applying the paste was a single dot, and let the heat sink spread it out (only on CPU and GPU). The second time, I carefully and evenly spread it using a credit card and not only on the GPU and CPU, but also on all the little grey regulator things that come in (direct) contact with the heat sink (forgot the name :P). I am now running much higher clocks than before, with temps barely going over 65 C. Highest it went was 71 C, which was after 4+ hrs of skyrim and random 3dmark 11 benchmarks and a few 1-2 min OCCT tests, but never goes beyond 65 C for 3DMARK 11. So I'm assuming the spread method is better than dot method even though dot method is the generally accepted, "best" method of applying thermal paste (and applying it to the grey things helps?)

A while ago, I got 4234 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name and realized why I wasn't able to recreate it. It was because I had virtu MVP installed, but it's strange because I only used it for skyrim (which didn't work at all) and was disabled on my laptop for a long time, without uninstalling it. Anyways, without it, I'm able to get 3838 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name (3DMARK 11) with 1380 core / 3050 memory, and suprisingly enough, with subtle, minor artifacts. Haven't found stable clocks for gaming, though; since if my clocks are too low I get BSODs or (usually) driver crashes and if clocks too high I just get driver crashes, both requiring reboots.

(!!) Also (!!), how come someone got such a higher physics score of 7619 ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name ) when I average about 6950s - 7100s.

Sorry for the TLDR, but hopefully someone learns something from my questions/experiences.

yeah i also get physics scores of ~7600 when benching 3DMark11... what I do for this (besides the tweak in the BIOS i mentioned a few posts before):

i use throttlestop 5.00, great tool. my settings: clock modulation 100%, chipset clock mod 100%, multiplier at 32.0 x and 'BD PROCHOT' turned off. use this settings and just click on 'Turn On'

also a nice tool for monitoring the temperatures and clocks

the second tool for increasing the CPU-performance a bit is 'Set Timer Resolution'. just open it and click on 'Maximum'.

gives me a little bit smoover gameplay. and in Crysis 3 it gave me a nice bump up in frames. more stable now

should also work for other intensive-games

do you got a Y580? and wich BIOS version do you have?

I have a Y480 and after I had it repaired because I bricked it with a BIOS here, it came back with version 8.02. I dumped it and sent it to him hoping for a new mod. That was in November.

yeah i also get physics scores of ~7600 when benching 3DMark11... what I do for this (besides the tweak in the BIOS i mentioned a few posts before):

i use throttlestop 5.00, great tool. my settings: clock modulation 100%, chipset clock mod 100%, multiplier at 32.0 x and 'BD PROCHOT' turned off. use this settings and just click on 'Turn On'

also a nice tool for monitoring the temperatures and clocks

the second tool for increasing the CPU-performance a bit is 'Set Timer Resolution'. just open it and click on 'Maximum'.

gives me a little bit smoover gameplay. and in Crysis 3 it gave me a nice bump up in frames. more stable now

should also work for other intensive-games

Thanks for the reply, I've already been using thrrottlestop with those exact settings, so maybe 'Set Timer Resolution' is the missing key. I'll post my results. Thanks.

Yeah, I tried that second tool and it doesn't seem to have any affect whatsoever. Here are my 'results':

first run - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name

second run - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name

I used this tool, Timer Resolution « Lucas Hale

.... Damn! Got a rocking GPU but CPU holding me back lol

EDIT: I'm beginning to think it's a bugged OS/chipset install. I'm running windows 8 x64, and whenever I install OR preinstall chipset/iGPU drivers, it'd hang on dxapi for a couple minutes and then contues to install like normal... I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, and since CPU has a rather large influence on physics, I bet that's the issue.. Time to waste an hour or two reinstalling, woohoo... -.-

Yeah, I tried that second tool and it doesn't seem to have any affect whatsoever. Here are my 'results':

first run - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name

second run - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,LENOVO Product Name

I used this tool, Timer Resolution « Lucas Hale

.... Damn! Got a rocking GPU but CPU holding me back lol

EDIT: I'm beginning to think it's a bugged OS/chipset install. I'm running windows 8 x64, and whenever I install OR preinstall chipset/iGPU drivers, it'd hang on dxapi for a couple minutes and then contues to install like normal... I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, and since CPU has a rather large influence on physics, I bet that's the issue.. Time to waste an hour or two reinstalling, woohoo... -.-

yes thats the right tool.

hm are you using your stock AC?

if yes, i think that the power of the 120W isn't enough for your heavy over-clocked and -volted GPU...

without overclocks the consumption of the Y580 can go up to 111W, so you need a new power adapter. i bought a 150W AC for mine.

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5570-lenovo-y580-power-consumption.html#post77771

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Y480 and after I had it repaired because I bricked it with a BIOS here, it came back with version 8.02. I dumped it and sent it to him hoping for a new mod. That was in November.

I'm also interested in this. maybe the BIOS v8.02 could work for 2.07 users, like me.

yes thats the right tool.

hm are you using your stock AC?

if yes, i think that the power of the 120W isn't enough for your heavy over-clocked and -volted GPU...

without overclocks the consumption of the Y580 can go up to 111W, so you need a new power adapter. i bought a 150W AC for mine.

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5570-lenovo-y580-power-consumption.html#post77771

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also interested in this. maybe the BIOS v8.02 could work for 2.07 users, like me.

I'm also using a 150W AC adapter and have been for quite some time, with the battery usually left out.

Hi everyone, I have the Y580 with BIOS v8.00 5DCN89WW. Just wondering if anyone has successfully flashed this unlocked BIOS. I've searched all over the internet, and this seems to be the only option. I can't find any detailed instructions anywhere on how to change an existing unused hardware id code to the one I need into the whitelist, so I figured I'll try this now. I bought an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 adapter. If anyone has had success with this adapter on a Y580, that would also be nice to hear. Let me know!

Hi everyone, I have the Y580 with BIOS v8.00 5DCN89WW. Just wondering if anyone has successfully flashed this unlocked BIOS. I've searched all over the internet, and this seems to be the only option. I can't find any detailed instructions anywhere on how to change an existing unused hardware id code to the one I need into the whitelist, so I figured I'll try this now. I bought an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 adapter. If anyone has had success with this adapter on a Y580, that would also be nice to hear. Let me know!

Well if you read the first post, where it says "instructions for 8.0x bios" you'll find what you need...

The modified BIOS itself is fine and you won't brick your laptop because of something wrong with the BIOS itself (because there isn't). The problems usually arise from how, and under what circumstances, you perform the flashing. Such as you misread/skipped/forgot a step from the instructions from the first post. A generally accepted rule, it's always best to do all flashing via DOS, and apply default settings of your current BIOS before flashing. Read through the instructions 2 or 3 times until you know exactly what to do. Know how to perform BIOS recovery and have a USB ready with your stock/Lenovo website's BIOS with the correct file name (for most, it's QIWY3) so that you'll be able to perform fn+b /fn + r/ etc recovery. Just take those precautions and you have (almost) nothing to worry about.

Well if you read the first post, where it says "instructions for 8.0x bios" you'll find what you need... There's also several posts of people flashing the 8.0x successfully if you just search the thread..

The modified BIOS itself is fine and won't brick your laptop by itself. The problems usually come from how, and under what circumstances, you go about flashing it.

Well, I seen where it says >> Instructions for v8.0x BIOS users: <<, but unfortunately that doesn't really give me any instructions. It says, "Make sure you follow the instructions carefully." I am new to the forum, so I must make a few more posts before I can download the file. I'm guessing the instructions are inside. Glad to hear it all works though. I'm very excited, I'm getting a Asus RT-AC68U AC router. My connection is gonna be almost as good as ETHERNET CABLE!

EDIT: Okay, now that I've made 5 posts I am able to click spoiler to see the instructions. Before, when I clicked spoiler it took me to a page on amazon for some reason. Oh well, all is well now.

Hey guys, I have the bios download from http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5dcn40ww.exe and I'm on a Lenovo y480. With a i7 36010qm cpu and a 640ml gpu.

Which bios mod should I use exactly? I can oc the le to 960mhz without any issues using a software oc, so I don't think I need any bios that assumes I use a 660m.

Thanks a lot for your replies

I'm currently running a lenovo y480 with the 640m-le. My question is, is it possible to get more clockspeed out of the 640m via a bios mod? I've looked into dumping the 640m's bios via nvflash and gpu-z, but neither will successfully dump the bios due to the bios being tied together with the motherboards. Is it even possible to dump/modify the 640m's bios on the y480?

I'm confused, I don't know whether I should use 8.00 mod or the 8.0x to flash my 8.00...and does the procedure in the first post work for them both ?

P.S my laptop came with windows 8 which I have deleted and installed win7 instead.